Laptop Recommendation

<p>Any laptop recommendations for a freshman computer science and mathematics double major?</p>

<p>I think you should places like Afterdawn forums and etc. They know technology and are probaby better suited to answer your question.</p>

<p>If they don't help you can always ask Dell and Bestbuy and see what they have to say.</p>

<p>I'm pretty confident Afterdawn can help. They helped me upgrade my very slow 2005 emachine with cheap parts and good virus protecting software.</p>

<p><a href="http://forums.afterdawn.com/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://forums.afterdawn.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Either a PC or a MacBook will work fine for engineering. S (a junior in engineering at UMD-CP) has a MacBook Pro 15". He has Windows loaded onto the Mac but never uses it. Maryland sells Dells and Macs at reasonable prices (education discounts) and also sells highly discounted software (Microsoft Office for Windows and Macs and many other titles).</p>

<p>My son just returned from orientation and learned about this ACT program where you buy alaptop from them. They service it if/when problems arise. Does anyone know much about this or have any experience with it?</p>

<p>We did this when D1 started at UMD 3 yrs ago. She's had 2 instances where her laptop crashed...their loaner concept was good (remember to back your stuff up frequently!) We actually got 3 laptops from them at the same time. H and I have both been happy with our Dells. Even though we don't live close to MD, I got in-home service for my laptop several months ago when the motherboard decided to self-destruct.</p>

<p>btw, D hates Windows....she reconfigured her PC so she can run Linux on it. At the time, the UMD price was very competitive, and their service guarantee helped push us over the edge.</p>

<p>My DD opted for a MacBook from the UM Tech Store... Price was competitive and they have been very supportive. Fortunately nothing major to report, however, DD did have to partition the HD to add MS operating system to support a B-School class requirement.</p>

<p>Yes, the PC vs MAC comparisons continue. Actually, now D (sr. this year) says if she had to get a new laptop, she'd probably get a MAC, but as I said, the UM Tech people have really come in handy for her when she's needed them (only a couple of times in 3 years).</p>