latkes

<p>I am having 10 for dinner tonight. One of the guest is gluten free. Any suggestions as to how to make latkes gluten free?</p>

<p>You can use potato starch if you usually use matzo meal. But potatoes, eggs, onions and oil are all gluten free.</p>

<p>At Chanukah I tend to use flour since I have it in the cupboard. D is headed to the market I will have her look if she can find potato starch. I realize all the rest of the items fit the gluten free diet.</p>

<p>The gluten free section of the store may have an all purpose flour. The brand I have is Gluten Free Pantry.</p>

<p>Cornmeal works, too.</p>

<p>You also do not need flour or matza meal. I drain the potato and onion mixture through a strainer into a bowl. Let the liquid in the bowl sit for a few minutes. The starch from the potato will separate and sink to the bottom. Then I pour off the top liquid and add the thick potato starch back into the potato and onion mixture before I add the eggs and seasoning. I can't believe I'm giving up this secret. :)
OK, it's not so secret. :D</p>

<p>Hah! DH and I were discussing this very issue, as I came upon this thread!
CC is my favorite go-to source for esoteric info.</p>

<p>This is the first year we will try gluten free latkes.
I suggested that we try a different flour, such as manioc/tapioca, or corn starch.
Letting the water drain out of the potatoes should help with crispness, even if you don't use the starch.</p>

<p>You can also squeeze the liquid out of the grated potato and onion. If you want to do this and reclaim the potato starch, grate the potatoes separately, squeeze their liquid into a bowl, and the wait for the starch to settle. Make sure to keep the grated potatoes covered with plastic wrap to avoid the dreaded Black Latke Syndrome. :)</p>

<p>reporting in- I made 75% of the latkes with flour. The other 25% I used Pamela's baking mix. The gluten free latkes felt grainy to the touch when I was forming the latke. They cooked up and tasted exactly the same. My Gluten Free house guest was thrilled that I had thought about her.
I made Matzo Ball soup, brisket, roast chicken, egg noodles, latkes and rugellah. A guest brought the salad. I am exhausted. It was 3 of our guests first Chanukah dinner. A great success.</p>

<p>we made varietals, sweet potato latkes, latkes with spinach/garlic, another batch with wasabi and scallions, another with cilantro and chili powder. we all enjoyed playing up our favorite spices, was a lot of fun...</p>

<p>We also do different kinds each year - this one was good! The LATimes has more latke recipes (varieties) than I've seen anywhere.</p>

<p>Potato latkes with feta cheese and two onions</p>

<p>Total time: 50 minutes</p>

<p>Servings: Makes 1½ to 2 dozen latkes</p>

<p>2 pounds baking potatoes</p>

<p>1/2 cup boiling water</p>

<p>2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra olive oil (or an olive oil/canola blend) for frying</p>

<p>1 1/2 cups finely chopped red onion</p>

<p>2 green onions, chopped</p>

<p>2 to 4 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour, potato flour or tapioca flour</p>

<p>5 1/2 ounces feta cheese (about 1/2 cup), finely crumbled</p>

<p>1 egg</p>

<p>Salt and pepper</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Scrub the potatoes (do not peel) and cut each into 3 to 4 pieces. Place the potatoes in a large microwaveable bowl with the boiling water. Cover the bowl with a microwaveable plate and cook on high for 15 minutes. Remove the soft potatoes and place them in a separate bowl. (If some pieces are not soft, return them to the microwave, cover and cook for an additional 3 minutes.)</p></li>
<li><p>While the potatoes are cooking, heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add the 2 tablespoons of oil, then the red onion and sauté until golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.</p></li>
<li><p>Wait just until the softened potato pieces are cool enough to handle, then peel the warm pieces. Put the pieces through a ricer, or mash them.</p></li>
<li><p>To the potatoes, add the sautéed red onion, the green onions, the flour, feta cheese and egg. Mix the latke mixture well with a spoon, adding additional flour as needed to form a slightly tacky base. Season with 1¼ teaspoons salt and a heaping one-fourth teaspoon pepper, or to taste. Form the mixture into small latkes, about 2½ inches in diameter.</p></li>
<li><p>Heat a thin film of oil in a large, nonstick frying pan over medium heat until hot. Fry the latkes, a few at a time, on each side until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the latkes to a paper towel-lined plate before serving.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Each of 2 dozen latkes: 86 calories; 2 grams protein; 9 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 5 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 14 mg cholesterol; 1 gram sugar; 77 mg sodium.
Copyright © 2011, Los Angeles Times</p>

<p>Comments
0Share0</p>

<p>ANOTHER CHANUKAH STORY</p>

<p>Once upon a time and space -- for a time without a space is like a nose without a face -- at the far northern edge of the town, which was at the far northern edge of the county, which was at the far northern end of the country, at the far northern edge of the continent, at the far northern end of the northernmost world, there lived a very poor family consisting of a mother, a father, eight children (4 boys and 4 girls), and an old cow. In the cold, northern winters they didn't have much to eat, or enough fuel for the fire to keep warm, and they couldn't afford electricity. Still, they were happy enough, and kept themselves happy by singing together every evening.</p>

<p>One cold and windy day in darkest December, the youngest daughter met an old, shrivelled woman at the northern end of the town square. The old woman was wearing a tattered dark brown cloak that covered her whole body and which she drew up over her head. The old woman complained that she had no place to stay and nothing to eat. "Come home with me," said the girl, "we don't have much, but I'm sure we'll share what we have.</p>

<p>And so they went home together. The family welcomed the old woman, even though there wasn't much in the pantry to eat. (In fact, they were so poor, they didn't even have a pantry.) They had a bunch of potatoes which had lots of black spots in them, so they cut out the black spots and made potato pancakes. They had a bag of wormy apples, so they cut out the worms and made applesauce. The old cow gave nothing but sour milk, so with their potato pancakes and applesauce they had sour cream.</p>

<p>It gets dark early in deep December and the house had no electricity, so the father went to the candle box, but found only one small candle left. The father lit the last candle, and the family gathered around the table to sing songs for the old woman, and also for themselves. They music was beautiful, and somehow the light of the candle seemed brighter as the family sang. Soon, one by one, first the children, and then the mother and father drifted off to sleep in the old family bed, where they huddled together with the old cow to keep warm. The old woman slept in the old armchair by the table.</p>

<p>The next day when they got up, they were all surprised to see that the candle was still lit. In the evening, they gathered together again to eat their dinner of potato pancakes and applesauce and sour cream, and to sing songs around the table. And as the singing seemed to get more and more beautiful, the old woman seemed less shrivelled. And people began to gather outside to hear the singing, their noses pressed against the one small window.</p>

<p>And so it went. Every evening, the family ate their poor dinner of potato pancakes and applesauce and sour cream, and sang around the table, their faces and the one small candle still shining brightly. And the crowds around the window grew larger and larger.</p>

<p>On the eighth day, there was a knock on the door. It was Mayor Mayer (the mayor of the town) who, having heard and liked the singing so much, offered the family a job singing at city hall. But at that, the old woman stood up and took off her tattered cloak. Underneath she was wearing a robe made of gold. She reached into her pocket and took out a small crown of rich red rubies and placed it on the little girl's head, and out of her cloak she brought a bale of fresh green grass for the old cow.</p>

<p>"I was hungry and tired and you took me in," she said, "and it gave you such joy to do it. I have a castle where any tired travellers, rich or poor, can stop and have a meal and spend the night. And since you have been able to make the poorest fare seem like a feast, I want you to come to my castle and take charge of the food, and the singing, and the hospitality. And bring the cow!"</p>

<p>And they did. And to this day we celebrate the family which made a feast out of the poorest fare of potato pancakes and applesauce, and the cow who could only give sour milk, and the one small candle which stayed lit for eight days by the light of their singing.</p>

<p>Mini, that was lovely, thank you for giving us the story.</p>