Let's say I start pre med requirements junior year...

<p>I start them junior year.
I start doing pre-med EC's like volunteering and clubs.
I take the MCAT after I complete all my pre-med classes which is most likely after I graduate.</p>

<p>And then I apply to med schools and don't get into any. But I still have an economics degree. What can I do to improve my application in the next year to improve my chances? I'm shooting for any Med school, though I prefer UC Irvine, UCLA, or UC San Diego.</p>

<p>What are your grades so far?</p>

<p>Get as high of a science GPA and cum GPA that you can.</p>

<p>Be sure to review all the pre-reqs for the med schools you're interested in. The UCs can be brutal to get into since so many are applying to them. Be sure to find some OOS privates that might accept you and some OOS publics that will take a decent number of OOS students.</p>

<p>Get to know your science profs so you can get LORs from them and offer to assist in any research that they might be doing. I don't know if you'd qualify for applying to any REU's for next summer without much science experience, but look into those. REU = Research for Undergraduates. Students can apply to any universities' REU program. My son did one this last summer at a univ in another state....these are fully funded.</p>

<p>Did that happen to you? Or are you just speculating. The toughest thing to do at Berkeley is to make connections with professors such that you can get a strong LOR. You should be able to do that in your senior year upper division courses, but you have to really focus on finding those profs & aim to take more than one class with them. It would be great though to have science profs writing most of your LORs not econ and it will be tough to connect in those basic pre-req huge classes.</p>

<p>If you are applying after senior year then you are taking a gap year, use that time wisely, for example a year of a research science lab job where you are both paid enough to live on and are getting research experience would work.</p>

<p>Many kids decide on pre-med late. It's often not possible to schedule in all the needed classes before greduation. Many kids go to a post-grad pre-med prep proram and do some serious gap work- agree^ -eg, as a researcher or in community health.</p>

<p>*Did that happen to you? Or are you just speculating. *</p>

<p>What are these questions referring to?</p>

<p>Make sure your college GPA as high as possible, and your MCAT score is as high as possible (work hard in your classes and preparing for MCAT). Everything else is secondary.</p>

<p>Yeah, this is currently happening to me. I've done 0 pre-reqs but want to start doing them. And I don't think it's possible for me to get letters of recommendations from science teachers. How much would economics professor letters hinder me?</p>

<p>I think it's safe to say: your competition will be fierce.
You really need to research getting into medical school via some direct sources- not advice on CC- ie, go google for the articles and books on this. Then look hard at what the UCs or other med schools say. Some feel studies in a non-science field prep you for all the reading in med school. But, you can't get around the fact that it's a science field with specific reqs. How do you envision med adcoms judging you without science LoRs or the related support from the pre-med program? Think serious gap year or two.
Also remember how many kids get weeded out of pre-med tracks. Chem and Bio entry level can be killer.</p>

<p>Ankur-- Most (all?) medical schools require that at least two of your LORS come from BCPM professors. If you can't get any LORs from your science/math profs and the schools you're applying to requires them, your application won't even get considered even if you have a wonderful GPA and a stellar MCAT score.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Did that happen to you? Or are you just speculating.</p>

<p>What are these questions referring to?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>
[quote]
then I apply to med schools and don't get into any

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I was wondering why we are speculating about not having gotten in rather than approaching the initial app, those are two vastly different strategies</p>

<p>
[quote]
I don't think it's possible for me to get letters of recommendations from science teachers.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>You need BCMP profs to write letters, do you have math classes in Econ? That would help. If you do research, get your supervising professor to do one, if you shadow, you could get one of those, too, but you need science LORs and Berkeley Ochem profs will not be likely to get to know you well enough to do it, though my DD did get one from her physics prof.</p>

<p>Why do you think that you won't get LORs from science profs? Get to know your Gen Chem, OChem, and Bio profs when you take those classes.</p>

<p>If the OP is at Berkeley and not a science major, those prereq classes are going to generally be huge and you really have to make an effort to connect, much easier to connect in upper division classes. I recall DDs Ochem prof taught several sections of the same class such that the curve was based across something like 1200 people, not all in one lecture, but all taking Ochem that term. He was extremely rigid due to past experiences with keeners/gunners and would not have made a connection with many of those kids.</p>

<p>I would encourage the OP to take some GE fulfilling classes using the L&S breadth recommendations which include some really interesting courses, you might find a connection there.</p>

<p>Ankur- you are at Cal, right? Try for Jacobson for physics</p>

<p>yeah, i'm at cal. I just thought it would be difficult to get letters of recommendation from the pre req med classes because of how large the classes are. Although I'll try.</p>

<p>Ankur--be careful about getting those letters. Make sure you ask for letter from professor who: a) know who you are and b) will write a strong endorsement for you.</p>

<p>If you end up with generic LORs, it will put your application at a severe disadvantage. You want strong, meaningful LORs, not a cookie cutter one from a prof who doesn't know you well. ("Ankur was a student in my Bio 1XXXX class. His grade was XX. His performance in my class was acceptable.....")</p>

<p>From a practical standpoint, what about your major, Econ?</p>

<p>To complete the premed requirements, you would need to take Chem 1 + Bio 1 next year, and Organic Chem & Physics Senior year. Will that leave enough room in your schedule to take upper division Econ courses so you can graduate? </p>

<p>Also, some med school require/recommend other science courses, such as Biochem or Genetics...Where would you squeeze those in?</p>

<p>The moral is that you might need to consider a 5th year, either delaying graduation, or as a Special Student. UCSD has a special, non-degree program for you to complete science courses, for example.</p>

<p>You can google "post-baccalaureate pre-med" or any similar words or abbreviations.</p>

<p>Some of these offer allied certificates, but it's a start.
I</a> Want to Be a Doctor... But Wait, I Forgot to Take Science! | InsideCollege.com
FWIW, know someone who was an Engl major, did the Bryn Mawr program and landed at an Ivy med. So, it's worth a look.</p>

<p>the post-baccalaureate pre-med programs seems like a really good idea. Maybe I'll do a few pre-med courses at my undergrad and then finish the rest in post-baccalaureate. </p>

<p>But I do have enough space in my schedule to do my upper division economic courses alongside my Pre-med courses. It's basically 2 Econ courses and 2 Pre-med courses per semester. I'm just worried that I'll be overburdened and won't do too well in either my econ or pre-med courses due to the substantial workload.</p>