Life after SMG...

<p>A few people asked that I follow-up once in-a-while to update you guys on how post-grad life is going. I figured that now would be a good time to post a little something.</p>

<p>Graduation in May was nice but brief. Due to the rain and an unannounced family obligation, I had to skip the University-wide and Psychology ceremonies and only made it to the SMG ceremony, which was, nevertheless, excellent. The speeches were great (Prof. Furman's speech is online: <a href="http://management.bu.edu/newsletter/al_summer06/Prof.JeffreyFurmanAddressesAlumni-June2006.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://management.bu.edu/newsletter/al_summer06/Prof.JeffreyFurmanAddressesAlumni-June2006.html&lt;/a> ) and we got a nice sendoff. </p>

<p>I've since been in New Jersey and have been spending all of my time preparing for the CPA exam. There are four parts to it and I am taking my first part tomorrow (Saturday) in the afternoon, which is a little nervewracking. Most people take the four parts over the course of six or so months; however, I'm determined to get the entire thing finished before I start working full-time. Since it took about two months to get approved to sit for the exam (which was rather irritating), I'll be taking a part tomorrow, the second part next Wednesday and the third part the following Wednesday. I then get a small break and will be moving to my apartment in Brighton (about 10 minutes from BU) before taking the final part there in the middle of August. It hasn't been an easy process, but hopefully I will pass (historically--only about 10-20% pass on their first try).</p>

<p>I start my job as an auditor at PricewaterhouseCoopers on August 21st. On that day, they're flying us out to Illinois (somewhere near Chicago) for two weeks for training, which should be fun. I accepted an offer from them in the Fall of my senior year. For the SMG kids on here, I can't encourage you enough to use e-Recruiting (or whatever website they use now...I believe they changed it) and the Career Center. They do help you quite a bit if you ask for it and they can help you get results (I ended up with offers from my top three choices).</p>

<p>In case anyone isn't familiar with PwC, they are the largest of the Big Four accounting firms. They provide a lot of different services--from consulting to assisting with mergers and acquisitions--but I am working on the assurance (audit) side of things. Essentially, my job is to go to the clients' and evaluate their internal control procedures, evaluate the integrity of their financial statements (make sure everything is correct) and express an opinion on their accounting practices and financial statements. Public companies are required to have regular audits by the SEC to provide some assurance to investors that they are being properly informed--which is important, as when auditors don't do their jobs properly, the results can be rather disasterous (i.e. Enron and Arthur Anderson).</p>

<p>So, that's what I'm doing now. As always, if anyone has any quesitons about anything (as long as it isn't about admissions--please don't ask me your chances!!!), feel free to ask.</p>

<p>To all the incoming freshman: good luck. Enjoy your time at BU--it goes by fast.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the update. You have been so helpful to the prospective students. Best of luck on your CPA exams!</p>

<p>Thank you Ryanbis... it appears you have a beginning to an excellent future ahead of you.... good luck</p>

<p>Hello all,</p>

<p>I received the results from the first two parts of the exam and passed both (with quite a bit of room to spare), so I am pleased. I am eagerly awaiting the last two scores (most likely won't come until the second week of September).</p>

<p>I have been at training since last Monday and they've kept up rather busy. We've had about 10 hours of class a day for most of the week. On the plus side, though, they have been spoiling us with great food.</p>

<p>I received my first assignment a few days ago, which happens to be located in Houston, so I'll be flying from Illinois to Boston on Friday and then from Boston to Texas on Monday. Unfortunately, this also happens to be move-in weekend for BU (and most schools in the area, for that matter), so that means I have to help my girlfriend move back on campus ;). I'll be in Houston for three weeks, but it should be a good time. They're putting me up in the Westin and they generally pay for all of your meals. Hopefully, I'll get to see my new apartment sometime this year!</p>

<p>wow congradualations.... isnt like only 10% or so pass on their first time.. good luck w/ the next two parts.... im glad to hear everything is going well...</p>

<p>Congratulations! Sounds like the new job is challenging. Keep us posted.</p>

<p>THE WORLD</p>

<p>Here you go, found it for you.</p>

<p>Grats Ryan. BU seems to have set you up well enough. PWC is a helluva company. I know my dad's done business with them plenty of times. We have so much PWC apparel at home. </p>

<p>I'm sure you'll do an amazing job. Your success just makes me more eager to get to BU already :P</p>

<p>I passed!!!</p>

<p>Fabulous! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>Congrats bro. Let's just hope I can get into BU ;)</p>

<p>Congratulations from an old (well, not so old) CPA to a new one!</p>