Life and its struggles

<p>OK so i just had a quick question pertaining to my grades.
I have a 3.0 and i go to one of the best public high schools in the entire state.
The thing is i work two jobs and i am from a single parent home, and our yearly income is around 40k. To help us go to such a good school my mother pays 2700 a month for rent only to ensure us a good education. (So we do go neg.)
I got 1950 on my sat
and close to 700 on my world sat 2
(still planning to take another)</p>

<p>The main question is
Will college see my struggle and know that i was working and trying to help the family. I mean getting a 3.0 at our school is very difficult as it is. For standardized testing i always score advanced.</p>

<p>What type of colleges do you think will even consider me , looking at my low GPA.
If it helps i am taking 3 college courses at a local community college, i hope to ace all of them.(Will this help?)</p>

<p>PS:Sorry about all the errors im in a rush ..i gotta get to work lol:)</p>

<p>Schools will consider your family challenges. As far as the 3.0, what does that make your class rank? If you have grade deflation which makes it harder to get an A, then a 3.0 might be very good.</p>

<p>well yea i guess its harder to get an A, but everyone at our school is incredibly smart. I fall in the middle.Getting an A is harder i guess.
But will Taking those 3 classes help raise my chances?
Will they in a sense replace some of my classes?</p>

<p>Aboiut the grade deflation how does one determine this
I mean our grad rate is like 99%
The thing is the teachers and the overall system is harder.</p>

<p>If it helps we score (overall) 60th in the enire nation, so i guess it is harder to get an A.
For example i know people who come from avg school into our school.
They go from 4.0's to 2.9's</p>

<p>bump please</p>

<p>come on 69 views but no new comments please help someone</p>

<p>Depends where you apply to. Applying to flagship universities, where they focus on numbers due to masses of applicants, you probably will not get any mercy.</p>

<p>For smaller schools/LACs, they take your application to a more personal level. They'll actually read your essay. (I know for a fact a majority of the big schools in my area don't) In your essay you'll be able to tell them this in your own words, and I am sure they'll understand. They love these stories, where students overcome obstacles to get where they are.</p>

<p>Of course 3 community college courses will help you. it shows you can take college courses already, even if they are from a community college.</p>

<p>I'm not sure how colleges take into account a high schools rank and how to see if grade deflation/inflation has made an impact on a student's GPA. Can't help you with that.</p>

<p>Your high school will send a profile to the colleges which will show how strong a school it is and what sort of grade profile it has as well. Taking college courses is good and certainly shows that you are eager to take on challenges. Kalookakoo is right about smaller schools too.</p>

<p>Those seem like reasonable numbers for most State schools, though.</p>