Lionel train sets from the 1950's

<p>Tonight's project is to start a log of all the trains, generator, tracks/switches, accoutrements, decorations (towers, train stations, trees, bumper cars, crossing gates, instructions, etc) from our 1950's era Lionel train set to sell. Anyone have a good web reference for a list of these parts? I am also going to check on value on ebay (yes I know it depends on condition of the items and boxes, etc) but I would like a ballpark idea as I go to sell them. There is a vintage model train show coming to town soon. Of course, any cc'ers interested get first dibs!</p>

<p>when you look on ebay, which is a good idea, make sure you look at closed auctions to see what things actually sold for, not what they are asking.</p>

<p>I'd like to know too.</p>

<p>There's possibly a train or hobby store in your area. There's a Train Museum in Rivertown, in Kenner, Louisiana. There's also a train and hobby shop in Kenner. Kenner is one of the suburbs of New Orleans, if you happen to be in the New Orleans area. </p>

<p>I would also advise you to call American Pickers. I think their official name is Antique Archeology. I believe they have a website. They may be able to give you an appraiser's name or help you out with value.</p>

<p>We have gotten hooked on all the Storage Wars, Auction Hunters, Pawn Stars and the like, and there seems to be lots of appraisers out there to give you values.</p>

<p>When I cleared out the family home, my brother made a point of calling me to make sure I boxed up the old train sets, because he said they were Lionel trains and would be valuable. Ours were from the 70s, so I'm sure those from the 50s would be worth more.</p>

<p>We have a complete set, all in the original boxes from 1953. My folks only brought it out at Christmas to chug-chug around the tree and they would carefully wrap it all up the days after. Keep us posted! I think your best bet is to take pictures of the set and go to the vintage train show. I have a small industrial distribution firm and we occaisionally get train hobbyists looking for parts. They are great people.</p>

<p>My local train shop is pretty reputable (you could call them):<a href="http://www.thewhistlestop.com/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.thewhistlestop.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Holy smokes! I just found out that our steamer and tender alone is worth $406
wooot wooot All</a> Aboard: 2025</p>

<p>I am going to be online with this all day.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Holy smokes!

[/quote]
no pun intended? :)
Keep me posted!!!!!</p>

<p>pun intended! (My steamer still has the original "steam" capsules!!)</p>

<p>Well, good/bad news. We inventoried everything we have, which was a lot, which included most of the boxes (a prime component). Had 2 different people look at them, and offered to buy them at pretty close to the same price (within $25/$50) I could have set up a table at the upcoming train show, or gotten dealer cards and tried to sell later, but it was too much of a hassle so I just sold the lot to the train store. I was offered a lot more for the set about 10 yrs ago, but wasn't ready to sell them then. Oh well, they are gone. They buy at about half of what they can get for them, and they have to do all the repair/clean up, etc.</p>

<p>Good news that you sold them, jym! I have tons of unopened McDonald's Beanie Babies toys that I held on way too long. I last checked them on eBay a few years ago and found ten of them going for a dollar for the lot. I have decided to give up all my collectibles to Freecycle in the coming year, so that I don't end up on an episode of Hoarders!</p>

<p>Though I think that there is a huge difference between collectibles and things that are collected. Collectibles, items that are manufactured to be collected...beanie babies, commemorative plates, et al, very rarely hold their value for the long term. While things that are collected...that is things that are manufactured for a use besides being collected.. such as toys, cars, certain phonograph records,advertising ephemera and art work etc...do hold value if they have a rarity and good condition.
Due to the economy there is a real slump in old toys,antiques and art work. Though I'm glad you were able to sell. Like the stock market, these things are difficult to time.</p>