Living expenses

<p>hey, </p>

<p>I just got into USC SCA and I was wondering how everyone here pays for their living expenses, like car payments, insurance, extra fees for classes at USC. I have been working full time for the past couple years, holding down a few jobs at once. I really wanted to take a year off from work when I go to USC so I can focus on getting internships and jobs in the film industry and try not to worry what I get paid. I just wanted to try to get experience and get to know some people so when I graduate it might be a little easier to get a job. </p>

<p>The only thing is that my efc is high enough to where I might have to work a full time job in a completely unrelated field; parttime won’t cut it. I was planning on living on loans for a year and just trying to focus on starting a career. I’m just curious if anyone else was living on loans, or if you guys were holding down a fulltime job as well.</p>

<p>From your post, I’m guessing you’re a non-traditional entering student – grad student? or starting your BA at a later age? (I only ask because most students usually have their parents paying for car insurance, cell phones, etc. while in school.)</p>

<p>Things like class fees are considered a part of your USC “bill” and scholarships/loans are usually applied against them. Any outstanding balance on your bill can either be paid by taking out a private loan, or through the USC payment plan – but you should know that SCA class fees are never more than ~$1000 and you won’t get your first SCA class fee until your sophomore year when you take things like 290. (If you’re a BA student at SCA, that is. Not sure about the grad program.)</p>

<p>Since you’ve been working full time for several years, maybe you have some sort of a savings account? If not, maybe start saving money? That can be a good buffer and source of “income” for you to pay things like car payments and other bills while you’re in school.</p>

<p>It is really hard to be a USC student – especially an SCA student – and work a FT job. You will have homework and classes that take up pretty much all of your time – plus, most FT jobs in LA have hours during class times.</p>

<p>You can easily get a PT job on campus (you’ll have better chances if you were awarded work study) that will give you some supplemental income. Depending on the position, you can make anywhere from $10-$15/hr working a student job. The taxes are far less than “real world” jobs, so you do end up getting almost all of the money in your paycheck. I was an SCA student and I had PT jobs all throughout college; in my first two years, my schedule wasn’t very “open,” so I only worked around 8-10 hours a week, but as a junior/senior, I was working closer to 15 hours a week.</p>

<p>I recommend you look at Campus Cruiser; their hours of operation are at night, which makes it easy if you have class during the day. Also, library jobs and IT jobs also offer later hours. You won’t really know what kind of job you can have until you build your first semester schedule.</p>

<p>As a USC student, you can have USC’s health insurance which is a flat fee tacked onto your USC bill and can be covered with your loans, etc.</p>

<p>If none of these things I mentioned are feasible for you, then you can take out a private student loan for any given amount and use that to live off of – but I only recommend this if you cannot get an on-campus job, do not have a savings and cannot cut costs. I had to do this one semester where my schedule was so crazy, I couldn’t hold a job.</p>

<p>Thank you Zelda, this was very helpful to me since my daughter will be a freshman in SCA this Fall. I’m relived to hear that the class fees are not too high.</p>

<p>^The way the film school is structured, she won’t encounter fees until sophomore year anyway, so she can start saving now.</p>