Living in the dorms in your hometown.

<p>I'm going to the university here in my hometown and I'd really like to live on campus for study reasons and because there is pretty much always construction going on so parking is atrocious. I also want to have the dorm experience, but is it stupid to live on campus when you're so close to home?</p>

<p>A lot of people do that here at my school. I think you meet so many more people living on campus and you generally become more independent, so I think it's a good idea.</p>

<p>Even if I lived next door to my school, I would have wanted to live in the dorms my freshman year.</p>

<p>It's definitely not stupid. Dorm life has lots of advantages: you have more independence, more opportunities to meet people, more scheduling flexibility, and easier access to on-campus events. If it isn't unreasonably expensive, I would highly recommend living in the dorms.</p>

<p>As far as my own personal experience goes, I go to school near home, and many of my friends do too. Both of the nearby schools (one public, one private) have on-campus housing requirements for freshmen, so there was never a choice, but we all definitely enjoyed living on campus.</p>

<p>I was a commuter student many years ago at USC (in my hometown). I definitely recommend living at school if you can afford it.</p>

<p>There are reasons to live on campus but "study reasons" are not among them. Most students have to leave the dorms to get any studying done because the dorms are too distracting. When I was still living on campus, I would leave my room in the morning to go to breakfast and not come back until I was done with homework and extra-curriculars for the day. In effect, my room was a place for me to sleep and store my stuff. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, I found it impossible to keep a regular sleeping schedule in the dorms. I had to be in class or at work at 8am everyday, and my neighbors would regularly party till 3 or 4am. Sleep deprivation took a toll on my grades and general well-being. (You don't want to know how angry and passive-aggressive I get when I only got 2-3 hours of sleep for three consecutive nights.) </p>

<p>Retrospectively, I would do anything to avoid the dorms.</p>

<p>I think dorms are great, especially for freshman year. You are able to get more acquainted with people at school and I think maybe feel moreso connected to the campus in that you will be living there and not just going to school for class then leaving. Also, you become independent of your home life, which is necessary to mature into a true adult that can set your own boundaries and rules and care for yourself.</p>

<p>I am going to the university in my high school town and I wanted to try out the dorms. I still would just for the experience but for financial reasons I am still at home.</p>

<p>I have friends who did that, and they're really happy they did. They've really had a great time living in the dorm, and home is close enough to go for dinner on Sunday night or free laundry or whatever. One of the girls has a horse that needs exercised so that was a consideration too.</p>

<p>For freshman year, it's an absolute necessity to live in the dorms, no matter what.</p>

<p>I kind of meant the accessibility to the library and student lounges more than studying in the dorms. </p>

<p>I'm also kind of worried about making friends. I'm younger than everyone else because I skipped a grade and I'm really awkward socially but I think if I just push myself to be friendly and introduce myself to people instead of just keeping to myself I'll make friends that way. Do you think that will be enough? I don't want to try to hard, I just want to be myself just a more social, fun side of myself while still concentrating on academics.</p>

<p>The local college has 99% of students living on campus. Only six freshmen lived at home last year. There were way more than six who actually were from here.</p>

<p>It's perfectly sensible to live on campus even in the same town.</p>

<p>Dorms are an experience that you won't ever have again. Some parts of it totally suck and some are really cool. I say do it for at least a year - by then you'll probably be over it anyways. I think the positives outweigh the negatives for the most part. I would NOT want to live in the dorms past freshman year (so glad I don't have to) but hey, to each his own.</p>

<p>I live near a university where many students that live within a 10 mile radius stay on campus. Is it a smart choice? I think it can lead to a great experience but one definately would have to ask themself is the additional cost of 10k for staying in the dorms reasonable.</p>

<p>My friend commuted her first year, and this year she moved on to campus. It's so much easier. She gets to hang out with us more and spend less time worrying about getting home or waking up her parents. </p>

<p>One benefit of being local is that you can show all the out of towers the cool local stuff. My friend introduced us to all sort sof cool places around here that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. Plus, you can have access to a car should you need it. A lot of Fran an don't have cars.</p>

<p>It really depends. If you can afford it, I would definitely go the dorm route. I didn't get the dorm experience, sadly, but you will definitely meet more people in a dorm than you will in classes. But you get the added independence and stuff. </p>

<p>Really, the only reason to commute vs. dorm is money. And if you think money will be a problem for your parents, you might need to really think about taking loans to pay for the dorm.</p>

<p>Then again, my roommate lived 20 minutes from home, came to a dorm anyway, and almost never showed up and moved out a few weeks ago, so maybe I'm a little biased.</p>

<p>I say do it, living in the dorms is one of the experiences that you should get out of college. My dad commuted to school all 4 years, and now that I'm getting ready to head off in the fall, he keeps wishing that he had stayed in a dorm, because he missed out on alot</p>

<p>Having commuted myself, I was determined to give my kids the campus experience. They both attended college locally and could have commuted, but lived on campus or in an off-campus apartment for all years. It was a great experience for many reasons:</p>

<ol>
<li> Made more friends and felt more involved in campus life</li>
<li> Less fatigue and wasted time from travel</li>
<li> No problem getting to class in snowy weather</li>
<li> Had more time for special interest groups</li>
<li> Had more time for studying</li>
<li> Had somewhere to go during long gaps between classes</li>
<li> More likey to attend evening class reviews and study sessions</li>
<li> Still close enough to home in case of unforseen needs, illness, etc.</li>
</ol>

<p>My kids both really enjoyed their campus experience. If you can afford it, I think it is the way to go. Commuters tend to compress their classes together and get off campus as soon as possible. Just because you live close to home is no reason to deprive yourself the opportunity to be on your own and grow.</p>

<p>Seriously everyone that I have ever met that has not lived in the dorms their freshman year regretted it for the rest of their lives.</p>

<p>I have never met a single person that really hated living in the dorms their freshman year, unless they were a negative person and hated almost anything anyway.</p>

<p>You will never regret the decision to live there, but you will regret it for the rest of your life if you do not.</p>

<p>I am glad that I did not live in the dorms my freshman year. Why? Because I lived in the dorms the following two years and absolutely hated it. </p>

<p>What's so great about living in a triple? What's so great about having a party next door until 4am when you are supposed to be in class at 8? What's so great about sweltering in high-temperature high-humidity weather with no air-conditioning? (prohibited by my school)</p>

<p>I went to college for the academics and all that dorm life did for me was make it harder to focus on my studies. I might have enjoyed dorming more if I had gone to college for the parties and video games, but I got that out of my system in high school.</p>