Lmu Safety

<p>What do you guys think of LMU as a safety....im 100% i can get in, but is it worth it?? should i invest my time and money into a better safety??</p>

<p>LMU is not a bad school at all as a safety. They have become more selective recently and their academics are definitely better than most cal states. Programs in some majors are excellent (film, business, communications, art).</p>

<p>I was going to start a new thread about this, but since you're on the topic of LMU, i might as well just talk about it here (Sorry if you think i'm hijacking your thread :P). I was wondering if anyone knew the extent of the religious presence at LMU specifically... but information about other religious schools (like Chapman) would be appreciated as well. Basically, I am wondering how much freedom there is regarding 1) speaking your mind, both in classes and socially and 2) rules (how does it compare to the ultra-strict BYU?).</p>

<p>I can address this a bit as I know students who attend both schools. Neither school's administration is as strictly religious as BYU or even Pepperdine. LMU is a Jesuit school. The Jesuits have a long tradition of being open and very liberal about and political and religious debate. A high percentage of LMU students are actually not Catholic (I think it about 40% but I could be wrong) and they have many faculty members who are also not Catholic. There is no attempt made to convert non-catholic or non-religious students but prayers are said at events like graduation, etc. Debate in classsrooms is tolerated. Their current president is a Jesuit priest and there is a Catholic church on campus but there are no requirements for attending services. However, priests and nuns do live in some dorms as kind of on-site advisors. From what I hear from students, however, they don't really get involved with student lives very much. There is a religion requirement in the curriculum but it isn't Catholic-centered - you can satisfy it by taking a course in judaism or zen buddhism for instance. Overall, the religious aspect at LMU is fairly low key. On the other hand, you're not going to find a hot bed of political liberalism at LMU either - students tend to be fairly conservative in general.</p>

<p>Chapman is pretty similiar - there is a religious aspect but it is not overwhelming and overbearing. The majority of students are not particularly religious and day to day student life is not particularly affected by religion.</p>

<p>By comparision, a school like Pepperdine is not a place for someone who is uncomfortable with a religious atmosphere -there you are required to go to a mandatory weekly service (they call it convocation but it is usually of a religious nature), you can not entertain the opposite sex overnight, drink on campus, etc. Co-ed dancing was just allowed on campus for the first time within the last five years. Students do have to take some bible-centered religion classes and the central mission of the school revolves around Christ as savior. There is not much room for debate on that issue. I find it amusing that so many students want to go to Pepperdine because of its Malibu location --- it's probably one of the more restictive schools on the west coast, in my estimation, right behind BYU.</p>

<p>thanks for the info!</p>

<p>Im not concerned at all with the religious aspect of the school, in fact I prefer it. Pepperdine has sat as my first choice school for quite some time. I am religious and I kind of like the strict nature of the school. I am by no means a super christian book worm who despises the opposite sex and alcohol, but restrictions like no alcohol on campus and no opposite sexes in the dorms is acceptable in my eyes. I am visiting this upcoming veteran's day weekend. I'll be staying for a couple days to feel the vibe in Malibu. I'll update on how religious and strict it really is. As far as BYU, i dont think Pepperdine is nearly as strict as BYU. I think schools like Wheaton have a lot more restrictions than Pepperdine.</p>