London riots.

<p>What. The. ****.</p>

<p>And how has this not been discussed on HSL?</p>

<p>EDIT: IDK why I put London and not England -_-</p>

<p>I was just about to post something about it, but yeah I agree.</p>

<p>I have been watching BBC reports on it and all i have to say is just...wow</p>

<p>Dude, I was in Belfast earlier this summer and they told us to watch out for similar riots. It's waaaaay overhyped. It's just a bunch of drunk hooligans who are out of work and got bored playing Xbox.</p>

<p>They say it has something to do with some dumb race-related issue about a cop shooting a black guy, despite the fact the black guy was pointing a gun at him.</p>

<p>My opinion is that England is boring and do people started a "riot" just so they'd have something to do.</p>

<p>^ No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong.</p>

<p>The riots that are occurring all over Britain started in the poorer sections of England. There have been huge budget cuts in social programs, and the rioting is generally a response to severe anger and desperation of the people who are stuck in extreme poverty without a way out. Looting and rioting over there has absolutely nothing to do with the death of Mark Duggan -- his death was merely a spark.</p>

<p>^ No offense, but YOU could not be more wrong.</p>

<p>Yes, there have been cuts in social programs, but trying to justify what is going on is sort of disgusting. A small group started protesting Duggan's death, and basically everyone just took that as an excuse to start rioting- a lot of the rioters are just middle class hooligans. Parts of London are poor, but it's not exactly abject.</p>

<p>I'm not justifying what is going on and I'm not saying all parts of London are poor. I'm also not claiming that every single person partaking in the rioting and looting is doing it for the same reason, the reason the rioting started. The amount of destruction that is happening is absolutely horrifying. </p>

<p>However, I do remain optimistic (although far from extraordinarily so) that, with all of the terror and chaos going over on in London right now, some good may come from this. While violence should never be the answer, I hope that the amount of news coverage the riots are receiving will get the government to pay more attention to the social issues underlying a lot of the anger.</p>

<p>^And why do you that the people are not aware of these issues? The Europe is bankrupt, kinda like us. They're cutting programs that are no longer sustainable as deemed so by the voters. </p>

<p>Arguably, Egypt, Greece, England and Wisconsin are related in that they mark the point where the recession is reaching the middle class and the people and government are reacting. It's nothing new.</p>

<p>The riots, however, are a <em>few</em> feeling the need to make a violent statement on behalf of the <em>whole</em> who probably don't support whatever agenda they're pushing.</p>

<p>The media is liberal, with the exception
of Fox (which is a joke). Remember that.</p>

<p>I appreciate your usage of "no offense" but maybe it'd be better if you just stopped insulting me.</p>

<p>It's not that I don't think that the people are unaware of the issues at hand. What I do think is that the people are angry that the government is making these cuts in the first place and that, before the rioting, there wasn't really any attention being dedicated to these problems. A while ago there was a peaceful march to Scotland Yard that yielded very little media coverage. A peaceful attempt was made, and when that didn't produce desired results, people turned to other methods. Of course the damage going on is a tragedy, but the riot did yield attention.</p>

<p>Can you please explain how exactly I insulted you? I was just pointing out that you weren't being entirely accurate. It's not a personal attack and if that was how it came across, I apologize. Again, I don't really understand how exactly I'm insulting you and I extend my apologies because you feel insulted.</p>

<p>I still don't get why they're rioting...can someone help me fill in?</p>

<p>Long story short? They're British.</p>