Looking for A Strong College

<p>I am currently a high school senior from Ohio with a 4.0 cumulative GPA with an upward trend over my high school career culminating in a 4.7 gpa for the start of my senior year. I have average test grades with a 720 on Math SAT and 730 on CR SAT. I have a 29 on my ACT.
My ECs include:
The Musical - 1 year
Football - 2 years
Soccer - 1 year
Track - 3 years
Wrestling - 2 years
(sports are sporadic because I tore my ACL 3 times)
VOFT participation
Speech and Debate Team
5 Choirs including the All Ohio Youth Choir and the Touring Cardinal Chorale.</p>

<p>I am currently having a lot of problems deciding where to go to school to obtain an undergraduate degree.</p>

<p>I am currently interested in majors that lean towards math and science. I also want a degree that will be easy to get a job with if my ultimate goals fail, such as computer engineering or computer science, but I feel like there is not enough overlap with my main career goal for that to be feasible. My current career goal is to be a doctor, and I have read that getting into med school can be difficult if you have a poor undergraduate school. Where are some strong schools that would help me get into medical school, that I would have a chance at getting into.</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>First of all, med schools don't care much about where you do your undergraduate degree. Prestige is not a big deal for them. They care about your GPA, MCAT score, and then about your letters of rec, your research experience and your ECs. And the state medical schools obviously care that you are a resident of their state. So any undergraduate school with strong sciences and an opportunity to get to know the faculty will meet your need. </p>

<p>Your grades and test scores are good enough to get into many excellent schools, so what are you looking for and, importantly, what can you afford? Know that medical school costs $50k-$75k p.a., so think about how much student debt you want to go in with.</p>

<p>A few good midwestern LACs with strong sciences to consider: Grinnell, Oberlin, Macalester. If you are serious about music, Oberlin excels there. Grinnell has walk-on sports teams and palatial sports facilities. Macalester has the urban environment if you prefer that. I think LACs are great for pre-meds because they tend not to have the hyper-competitive weeder classes, pre-meds tend to be more cooperative rather than competitive with each other, and there's more faculty mentoring due to smaller class sizes and lack of grad students doing the TAing and research. All of them have computer science majors too - but no engineering.</p>

<p>The Ohio State University has perfectly respectable computer science and computer engineering degree programs. And it has a medical school, so typical pre-med extracurriculars like shadowing and volunteering in a medical context should be relatively convenient.</p>

<p>Grinnell's computer science offerings are rather limited; Macalester's and Oberlin's computer science offerings appear to have more breadth and depth. The Ohio State University has greater breadth and depth in computer science than any of the three.</p>

<p>Links</a> to current courses | Computer Science
Course</a> Descriptions - Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science - Macalester College
Program:</a> Computer Science - Oberlin College - acalog ACMS?
<a href="https://courses.osu.edu/psp/hcosuct/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/COMMUNITY_ACCESS.OSR_CAT_SRCH.GBL%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://courses.osu.edu/psp/hcosuct/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/COMMUNITY_ACCESS.OSR_CAT_SRCH.GBL&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Thanks for the replies guys. I've looked at Ohio State, but I just hate the campus and don't think that I could go there for 4 years. Currently I am applying to John Hopkins, Duke, Miami of Ohio, Case Western, Ohio Northern. Northwestern, and Loyola, but subject to change.</p>

<p>Be sure to check the computer science course offerings at each school you are considering. Many smaller schools offer a computer science major, but with very limited course offerings.</p>

<p>[url=<a href="http://www.abet.org%5DABET%5B/url"&gt;http://www.abet.org]ABET[/url&lt;/a&gt;] accreditation for computer science (or computer engineering) can let you know that the computer science degree program meets a minimum standard of quality, but not all widely-regarded-as-good computer science degree programs have sought ABET accreditation. If the computer science degree program is ABET accredited, that is a good sign; in the absence of ABET accreditation, you have to do more checking of things like the breadth and depth of computer science course offerings.</p>

<p>might look at Holy Cross-great pre-med program wiyh strong medical school placement record. Holy Cross has nice campus 1 hour from Boston with new science building. HC like Duke is good for financial aid. Holy Cross has very good school spirit(plays many Ivies in sports) and has one of the best alumni networks for jobs and grad school placement.</p>

<p>a great school for premed UAB [url=<a href="http://www.uab.edu%5DWelcome%5B/url"&gt;http://www.uab.edu]Welcome[/url&lt;/a&gt;]&lt;/p>

<p>cost for oos student is extremely reasonable:First-Year Freshman Out-of-State
Tuition and Fees* $14,256
Books and Supplies** $1000
Meal Plan $450 - $3,894
Total $15,706 - $19,150
Residence Hall (Blazer/Camp Hall)*** $5,200
Grand Total $20,906 - $24,350</p>

<p>they also have merit scholarships for oos: (and if NMF.. full ride)</p>

<p>To be eligible for academic scholarships at UAB, students must be admitted by December 1. New freshmen are automatically considered for all university-wide academic scholarships upon admission to UAB. All scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis as funds are available, and are renewable for four years.
Blazer Elite Scholarship
$10,000
Based on academic achievement (28-36 ACT and at least 3.0 GPA)
Blazer Gold Scholarship
$7,500
Based on academic achievement (26-27 ACT and at least 3.0 GPA)
Blazer Pride Scholarship
$5,000
Based on academic achievement (24-25 ACT and at least 3.0 GPA)
UAB in birmingham al is a great school for premed. excellent premed advising, super sci/tech honors program (research opportunities+++) very strong school for sciences, great automatic merit aid, (reasonable cost regardless at 20-24K[tuition, dorm and food] per year for oos student)</p>

<p>Science and Technology Honors Program
The Science and Technology Honors Program, otherwise known as Sci-Tech Honors or S&T Honors, is UAB’s research based honors program. This program prepares students for research careers and graduate school by connecting them with labs and mentors in their undergraduate years.
The first two years of the program focus primarily on teaching the methodologies and techniques used in scientific research, while the last two years are spent on developing the student’s Honors Thesis, consisting of an individual research project and report that will be submitted for publication.
The program also encourages collaboration amongst students and boasts its tight-knit learning community, which is facilitated by numerous program meetings, activities, and summer retreats. In order to promote these ideas, the program only accepts a maximum of 50 students each year. The minimum requirements for application are a 3.5 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) and an ACT or SAT score at or above the 90th percentile in math and science. However, all applications are individually reviewed and there is no definite cut-off based on ACT or SAT scores.</p>

<p>The student-faculty ratio at UAB is 18:1. 91.3% of the faculty at UAB hold an academic or professional doctorate. Average undergraduate class size of 31 students. Urban campus 11K undergrads</p>

<p>Re med school: google the rankings on uab med school and you will see it is ranked top 20 in a number of programs</p>