Low Gpa, Great in Other Areas...Any Chance ED2?

<p>Based on the following.......</p>

<p>Received a D in AP Chemistry. 710 on the SAT II...
In addition to the stress of all activities being alone for most of the time after my mother lost her job, I lost a very close relative to cancer that I had a close relationship with (Auntie) and was really devastated because I had been contacting her and visiting her since I was younger...Guidance counselor will be including this fact in her letter to colleges I'm applying to...other than that here are the stats..</p>

<p>Receiving a letter of recommendation from the Chairman or Vice Chairman of the Yale University Genetics department and am wondering if this will have any noticeable effect on my chances.</p>

<p>Anyways here are the stats....</p>

<p>3.45 GPA UW (Inc. freshman year after junior year)
SAT: 2100
Top 20% of Class
AP Chem
AP US History
AP Spanish
AP Calculus
AP Physics
AP English
+Mostly honors classes</p>

<p>EC/Athletics:
Genetic Research at Yale University (Internship)(Advisor will be writing rec.)
Volunteer at Yale-New Haven Hospital 200+ hours (Also a trainer for new volunteers)
Student Leadership Board at Yale-New Haven Hospital
Class Council Officer
Student Council Vice President
Student Leadership Team at my High School
National Merit Commended Student (PSAT)
National Honor Society
Varsity tennis 9-12
Fencing 11-12
Southern Youth Symphonic Orchestra and jazz Band(First chair)
Tae Kwon Do (Martial Arts, black belt)
Marching Band Squad Leader</p>

<p>What do you think of my chances if I applied ED2 or Regular?</p>

<p>The extenuating circumstances make it very difficult to give you an accurate estimate of your chances. We can't really predict what effect your supplemental recommendation will have because we haven't read it. We also don't know how well-written your counselor's explanation will be. It's also very difficult for admissions officers to spend a huge amount of time on an individual case and, even with a good explanation, it's difficult for an officer to deny someone who doesn't have a D in AP Chemistry for someone who does.</p>

<p>I did a quick look through your post history and saw that you've asked for school suggestions several times. Have you considered also applying to Emory's Oxford College? There's no additional application fee (and you can apply RD to Oxford even if you apply ED to Emory College of Arts and Sciences). Since you don't know how the other decisions will pan out because of your unique situation, I would recommend submitting an application to Oxford.</p>

<p>Thank you for your informative post, I have in fact decided to apply to the Oxford College as well. What do you think of my chances there? And how does the guaranteed transfer to Emory work from Oxford?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I was accepted last year with from a pretty similar situation. I had about a 3.4 (Oxford-Recalculated) GPA due to extenuating circumstances, a 2120 SAT, and very good ECs. Except for Oxford and some safety state schools, I was pretty much rejected across the board.</p>

<p>If you come across as sincere in your application to Oxford, your chances are very good. Your GPA is about .1 below our average, but your Oxford-recalculated GPA will likely be a bit higher. If you have your transcript, you can calculate your the GPA Oxford will consider here: Oxford</a> College - GPA Calculator</p>

<p>Also, your SAT score is just above Oxford's 75th percentile and your ECs are very good. I think it will mostly come down to whether the admissions committee believes you are legitimately interested in Oxford--so make sure your essay is good!</p>

<p>Oh, and you "continue" to Emory College of Arts and Sciences rather than transfer. You simply need a 2.0 and to complete Oxford's graduation requirements (pretty much some general education stuff+enough hours of credit).</p>

<p>Thanks for the information, do you think I have any chance at Emory via EDII? And do you think I can consider Oxford a safety or a a high match?</p>

<p>I agree with aigiqinf.</p>

<p>If you want to go to Oxford, your stats look fine.</p>

<p>emory-rejected
oxford-in</p>

<p>Emory-maybe
Oxford-accepted</p>