Low GPA High Test Scores?

<p>Although I have taken essentially the hardest workload possible, my GPA falls short of many of my classmates who take the same academic courses as I do. While they get straight A's, I add a B or two onto my resum</p>

<p>Is there any obvious reason for those B grades? Are you not turning in all your homework?</p>

<p>That sounds a lot like me. I've received 6 Bs, lowering my UW GPA to 3.87 and weighted to 4.44, but your SAT score should help (I had 2320). If you get above 3.8 you should be fine (I got a Trustee nomination for USC and a Pogue nomination to UNC-Chapel Hill while many of my valedictorian classmates did not).</p>

<p>It depends on the school. Some weigh test scores higher than GPA, and other schools do the opposite. Look at part c of their common data sets to see how the schools you applied to weight each component of the application.</p>

<p>I checked again our high school's naviance before posting this. You have marginal higher SAT but you have a few Bs while your friends have 2200+ and more As, your friends are in better position than you. Even for USC(which some people on CC say favors high SAT) rejected one student with 2300+ and 3.6 uw GPA over other students with higher GPA and 2200+. In college admissions, GPA, course rigor, test scores, ECs, essays, letter of recommendations are the order of preference.
I have seen this with my own kid who has high SAT and mediumish GPA so I'm not biased.</p>

<p>Depends on the school and how the rest of your application looks.</p>

<p>It sounds like your friends are in a better spot because 100 points on the SAT is never going to make as much as a difference as a significantly higher GPA.</p>

<p>If your GPA is 3.8 or higher unweighted, then a few B's will mean nothing. Your 2310 SAT says that your are either smart, or you did a lot of test prep and finally broke the 2300 barrier. That's a great SAT score. Depending on what kinds of colleges you want to apply and whether or not you have great ECs and leadership, you will have some great college choices. If you're brave enough to venture out of state, you could also see some generous merit aid thrown your way. Schools look at AP test results in different ways, but certainly 5's on any of them will help you. Better yet, take a few SAT II tests so you can be prepared for highly selective colleges, including private LACs that also give nice merit.</p>

<p>Should it be safe to say that this year, as long as I can raise my cumulative UW GPA to a 3.8 and can obtain all 5's on my 5 AP Exams, I should be good to go?</p>

<p>I think this quote best sums it up:</p>

<p>"The last important observation is that despite what Ivy League admissions officers will admit if you ask them, most value high scores and decent grades much more than decent scores and high grades. There is something undeniably impressive about a student who scores over 750 on the CR, math, and writing portion of the SAT and who scores in the high 700s on 3 SAT IIs. </p>

<p>It used to surprise me that even the director of admissions at Dartmouth would make excuses for students with extremely high scores. I'm not talking about C students, but students who did modestly well in high school (top 15% or B-category grades) and had astoundingly high test scores. Often during committee deliberations, I would hear him say, "With those scores, I bet Caroline was just bored with her classes and her teachers. I bet she would take off if challenged by other brilliant people in an Ivy League classroom." You would never hear the same argument for someone with a number-one rank and all low 600 scores. The comments would run more like this: "Despite the impressive rank and GPA, we can only assume that his high school is very weak or that Tom is a real grind who would study all day and continue to do here what he did in high school."</p>

<p>-Michelle Hernandez, former Assistant Director of Admissions at Dartmouth</p>

<p>^That quote isn't really relevant because his friends got 2200-2250. A 4.0 with a 22xx is much better than a 3.7 or 3.8 with a 2310.</p>

<p>That said, OP probably doesn't have anything to worry about himself. His GPA doesn't sound like it's "low" except by comparison to his friends.</p>

<p>Good to go where? And where does a 3.8 put you rank wise?</p>

<p>Really not a big deal. You'll be fine</p>