Low graduation rate

<p>Could someone speak to the really low graduation rate at Auburn? As more acceptances come in it is certainly a factor in deciding. Is it that classes are hard to get, classes are hard to pass, students aren’t motivated?</p>

<p>Listed as one of the hardest schools to make an A in the nation - not sure that’s helpful but could just be difficult curriculum with little grade inflation frustrates some who drop out or lose scholarship.</p>

<p>Notice that the graduation rate is given at two intervals: only 38% in four years, but 68% in six years. So, at least 68% eventually graduate, which is above average for a state university.</p>

<p>This large gap might be due to a couple of factors: 1) Auburn has a large and demanding engineering school where students rarely graduate within four years (five years is typical. I know because I majored in engineering). The architecture and pharmacy programs are also five year majors. 2) Auburn is, admittedly, a “party school.” A notable number of students simply do not take their studies all that seriously.</p>

<p>Frankly, I am not sure that these are good explanations. They are true facts though, and must have some impact. </p>

<p>Another idea comes to mind. </p>

<p>Auburn is in Alabama and the education system in the state is definitely below average. Perhaps many in-state students come unprepared for college. I went to high school in Huntsville, Alabama which has the best school system in the state (probably because it has been the center of technology for over 50 years). My sister lives in Birmingham (the largest city in the state) and sends her children to private schools because the publics are so poor. </p>

<p>Of the guys that I knew who dropped out of Auburn, each really should not have been in college at all. I suspect they never again went to another college.</p>