Low math II score..how much will it hurt?

<p>Eh, I took the Math II and US History tests today. Didn't do so well on Math II (got owned.. >_>). My other scores are:</p>

<p>SAT I (2330 - 780 CR/770 M/780 W)
SAT Chem - 790
SAT Literature - 740</p>

<p>I'm predicting a 780+ for US History and a 710 ish for Math II, which is a low percentile. I'm Asian and applying to a few of the Ivies. Should I cancel for non-score choice schools?</p>

<p>I was super rusty on pre-calc :(</p>

<p>No, you should not bother cancelling the score. You will need, at most, three good SAT II scores, and you have a 790, 740, and a hoped-for 780 USHist. They will not penalize you for a 710ish Math II (unless you are gunning for MIT or Caltech), especially since your SATI M is 770. </p>

<p>They truly take the top scores, and ignore the rest. (And aren't some Ivies now asking for only 2 SAT IIs?) You are doing fine.</p>

<p>same, im in calc and took the math IIs..i agree with ^. your 3 scores are good</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies.</p>

<p>I might be applying as an aerospace engineering major to a few top schools, which is why the math II score worries me. That's the reason I'm considering canceling and retaking both Math II and US History in October.</p>

<p>Or I could decide to keep the score and retake Math II in October. Will the retake of a subject test look bad? I took the SAT 1 twice.</p>

<p>^ Call and speak with an adcom at a couple of your target schools. I believe the only school that still requires three subjects is Georgetown.</p>

<p>I agree that the best thing to do is call an adcom or simply research the specific SAT II requirements on each of your school's specific websites, under admissions.</p>

<p>If none of your schools require Math 1 or Math 2 Subject Tests, then I agree that you should not cancel your scores or even worry about your scores. (Your Math 2 score COULD surprise you, anyway -- in a good way.) You've got a good selection of good scores that will do for those schools that don't require Math 1 or 2.</p>

<p>However, even though Georgetown is the only school I know of offhand that still requires 3 subject tests, a lot of engineering/science/math-focused schools DO require a Math 1 or Math 2 Test. A lot of them don't care which Math you submit. A select few insist on the Math 2.</p>

<p>In any case, you have time to wait it out and see how you did on Math 2 today. A lot of people are pleasantly surprised when they receive their scores... the curves can be generous.</p>

<p>If your score is not as good as you'd like, and you think you can do better, AND you're applying to schools that require a Math Subject Test, THEN you can think about re-taking Math 2 or taking Math 1 after a little more prep. </p>

<p>I do not think it will look bad to retake a subject test. From my reading on CC, it seems that lots of kids re-take, right?</p>

<p>Good luck! No need to fret yet. Wait until the 24th to see whether fretting is really in order.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help :)</p>

<p>I'll keep it and probably retake in October.</p>