Lucrative Areas of Journalism

<p>What are the most lucrative areas of journalism? And, what are some other lucrative careers related to journalism?</p>

<p>bloomberg.com - financial journalism</p>

<p>Only recruits at top tier schools but they only really care about how good your stories are in college.</p>

<p>You could go for anchor, thats pretty lucrative. </p>

<p>Journalism is a very tough industry to break through though.</p>

<p>How well are sportswriters paid?</p>

<p>It's like teaching, you don't do it for the money.</p>

<p>They're paid weakly gross wages...</p>

<p>Looking for "lucrative areas of journalism" is a little like searching for the world's tallest midget.</p>

<p>The most famous television announcers get paid a lot of money; some of them claim to be "journalists," although I think the term implies a connection with printed publications that they don't have. People who are extraordinarily good looking have the best opportunity to obtain these jobs. (I'm not belittling the other talents of the incumbants in those jobs; I'm merely making a note of the obvious.)</p>

<p>Journalism is one of those "winner take all" professions. There is a very small number of people at the top who are extremely well paid, and a larger but shrinking number who make a comfortable middle class wage. Most people in the field scramble to get and keep jobs that pay very poorly.</p>

<p>The average salary for a journalist is barely more than a teacher makes. Journalism is about passion. To quote a news anchor I've met, "If you're looking to make a lot of money, do something else. You won't find huge fortunes in this industry."</p>

<p>If you're a top-editor or write for a major magazine, your salary might be higher, but don't expect to make millions. </p>

<p>If your talent is in communications, but you want to make a lot of money, your best bet would be going into PR for a major company. PR majors can be found at most schools.</p>

<p>^Be aware that there are TONS of wanna be journalists out there. You're going to find it hard to get a job, much less a lucrative one.</p>

<p>I want to do journalism that involves travelling to write stories that are more than just local or national news. But rather, research a subject and then write on it, kind of like Ted Koppel's shows on Discovery. What job would encompass this? And how does one get there?</p>

<p>Travel journalism is even harder to break into than regular journalism. You have to have some SERIOUS talent to get your stuff noticed. Same goes for most other fields of research journalism. Whether it be documentaries or print, it doesn't matter, it's going to be extremely competitive.</p>

<p>As I've said before, even this branch of journalism isn't going to rake in millions, but if you're serious about doing it, there are a few things that can help you.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Write, write, write. I can't stress this enough. Join your college newspaper, and report on as many things as you can. A fancy journalism degree won't get you very far if you don't have experience. If you've been regularly published (even in a school paper), that looks good. If you can win awards for the stuff you've written, even better. Get as much practice as possible.</p></li>
<li><p>Internships. Try to get one in college. In addition to gaining more experience, making connections early on can help like you wouldn't imagine. </p></li>
<li><p>Don't get too picky...especially at first. Journalism really is a field where you have to work yourself up from the bottom. Your first job...heck, your first 5 jobs, probably won't be exactly what you want.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Eventually, if you keep trying and your work is good quality, you just might get your own column in a travel magazine, or your own series of documentaries. </p>

<p>Journalism...gotta love it. ;)</p>

<p>world changer are you a journalist? and if so, what do you do specifically? Thanks, just curious.</p>

<p>High school journalist (top editor, to be exact). But we also do a lot of collaboration work with the city paper, regional magazines, job-shadowing, and attend seminars at the local J-School. </p>

<p>I'm just quoting what I've learned from the professionals. I myself am not a professional, but if you guys have any specific questions I can get answers for you.</p>

<p>To get into the research journalism, does it matter what type of journalism I should aim to attain in the beginning? Print? Broadcast? And, what about working my way up at Discovery Channel or National Geographic? Would starting at a local newspaper or television station be more likely to achieve that ultimate goal? One more question, to do research journalism, does one need to have their degree in the field they wish to research. I was considering majoring in English and History, but I would really like to do research journalism on a myriad of subjects. Thanks for all of your help.</p>