"Lynn English Senior Accepted to Harvard University"

<p>Ma, currently the No. 2-ranked student academically among 368 students in the LEHS senior class, was accepted through Harvard’s Early Action Admissions Program. More than 35,000 candidates have applied for the 1,660 seats in Harvard’s incoming freshman class.</p>

<p>Principal Thomas Strangie joined faculty and staff in congratulating Ma on her acceptance to Harvard.</p>

<p>“Jackie is an outstanding student who brings a lot of credit to the school and her family,” said Strangie. “We couldn’t be more proud. She’s a fantastic young lady.”</p>

<p>“I guess attending Harvard has always been in the back of my mind. I intend to study in the sciences at Harvard.”</p>

<p>Ma was inducted into the National Honor Society. She has also served as an editor-in-chief of the school newspaper, a section editor of the school yearbook, president of the French Club, and a member of the Latin Club, Asian-American Club, and the Recycling Club. As a junior, she received the Harvard Book Award.</p>

<p>Ma has visited Harvard and toured the campus and its facilities. As a freshman, she will reside in Harvard Yard.</p>

<p>“I’m really excited about the next four years,” said Ma.</p>

<p>Lynn</a> English Senior Jacqueline Ma is Accepted to Harvard University | Lynn Journal</p>

<p>I'm trying to figure out what about this story made you want to post it. Is it the sheer typicality of every single element in it? After all, who would even DREAM that a high-ranking Asian-American girl interested in science (!), editor-in-chief of the school newspaper AND a member of NHS (!) as well as the Latin Club (!!!) at a high school in MASSACHUSETTS (of all places!) might be accepted at Harvard? And then, in addition, that she might even "reside in Harvard Yard" as a freshman? And, to top it off, her school is really proud of her, and her principal thinks she's a fantastic young lady?</p>

<p>Who woulda thunk it? Harvard went and accepted a kid who is virtually indistinguishable from hundreds of other kids that Harvard also accepted (a couple of months ago, or years, whatever), or will accept in a couple of months (or years, whatever). Totally warms my heart!</p>

<p>A caustic "Senior Member" might not have his heart warmed, but current applicants can occasionally find it helpful to see the range of candidates who are admitted. </p>

<p>One suspects that more than a few hard-working Asian-American girls check in here from time to time - not "Senior Members" to be sure - who may draw comfort from the thought: "Gee, if she got in, then maybe I can too."</p>

<p>^ Perhaps to make a point regarding the apparent randomness of acceptance? Harvard turns down literally thousands of such students every year.</p>

<p>I think Lynn English isn't the typical Massachusetts high school. Lynn is a very low income, working class city. </p>

<p>It warms my heart.</p>

<p>Had to be some back-story here that all of us are missing. Otherwise, I would agree, this person is almost a cliche of both the kind of kid Harvard both accepts and rejects with little fanfare. Equally typical, although not on these threads, are the multi-varsity athletes (Hispanic football player gets accepted to Columbia, turns down Central Arkansas!!) that are the stock-in-trade of the Ivies. Really, most of us on CC have gotten the admissions thing figured down to a "T" at this point, but predictability will always remain at the level of probabilities, not certainties. From what we see of this person above, assuming the usual great Asian stats, her probabilities were probably no better than 50/50, but so are most. What we do know with certainty is that that if you are an Olympic or national caliber athlete in any decent sport, your probability goes up to 80%+. Sadly, since there are mostly here on CC just smart kids and not really great athletes, people compare stats and not trophies, but it is truly the trophies that the best colleges want -- they have enough of high stats.</p>

<p>The "back story" is no more mysterious than this: </p>

<p>I think the kind of anecdotal information that can be drawn from a range of these hometown newspaper stories about kids admitted to Harvard tells you more about the nature of the freshman class, the type of people who choose to apply, and the traits of those being admitted, than any dry statistical survey would reveal.</p>

<p>For example, compared with a few years ago, there are far more instances where the story reports that a kid is the first in his/her class to go to college, and the range of ethnic groups represented has grown. In particular, I have noted a substantial increase in the number of Hispanic kids. This trend will no doubt continue, since within XXX years a majority of the college-age kids WILL be Hispanic.</p>

<p>For the most part, I don't post the typical article about athletic recruits, since I believe they don't tell us much about trends in the student body as a whole. </p>

<p>There are, of course, some people including me - who get all excited about Harvard "signing" a 4-star power forward, or a Maryland lax standout matriculating at Princeton, but not many such people look to the CC site for breaking news.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I think Lynn English isn't the typical Massachusetts high school. Lynn is a very low income, working class city. .

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Quoted for truth.</p>

<p>I know Lynn very well. While I don't know this student, I know that the majority Asian population in Lynn is Cambodian, the community is very low income and largely non-white, and that a student coming from that high school going to Harvard is indeed something to celebrate.</p>

<p>I agree that it is something to celebrate - and I will be in Phnom Penh next week touring schools, where this story will make many proud and happy. The Cambodians are a beautiful people who have suffered greatly. </p>

<p>Just a "ho hum" thing to some "Senior Members", however!</p>

<p>"...and largely non-white..."</p>

<p>What are you really saying?</p>

<p>Look, I get that students on CC should know that Harvard accepts normal kids. But cottonmather said some weeks ago that he only posted these stories when there was something remarkable about the student, and this case hardly qualifies.</p>

<p>I also know that Lynn is very hardscrabble, and I'm glad that a student from Lynn got accepted at Harvard. I'll bet, however, that there have been others in the recent past. (Hint: I don't bet much, and I cheat when I do.) Harvard has long recognized that among its many missions is educating talented kids from tough public schools in depressed Massachusetts towns. Good for Harvard . . . but it's not exactly news.</p>

<p>Not to prolong this, but I think Jackie Ma IS pretty "remarkable" - and so does her school and her community.</p>

<p>The community also finds her achievement "newsworthy".</p>

<p>Here is the story from the OTHER local paper - the Lynn Item:</p>

<p>The Daily Item: Lynn English senior gets early nod from Harvard
The</a> Daily Item: Lynn English senior gets early nod from Harvard</p>

<p>
[quote]
"...and largely non-white..."</p>

<p>What are you really saying?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Maybe he's referring to the massive achievement gap in US public schools that falls along racial lines?</p>

<p>
[quote]
"...and largely non-white..."</p>

<p>what are you really saying?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>my political correctness senses are tingling</p>