Make a dessert with a physics concept ????

<p>Okay..I need some help! My daughter is asking me for suggestions for an extra credit project for physics...make a dessert that represents a physics concept! I have no good ideas and remember little of physics! Any suggestions?</p>

<p>Baked Alaska?</p>

<p>Seeking</a> Sweetness in Everyday Life - Seeking Sweetness in Everyday Life - It's So Cold In Alaska: A History of BakedAlaska</p>

<p>jello mold for layers of fluid friction???</p>

<p>friction of a match lights the candle on a birthday cake???</p>

<p>not a dessert, but the centrifugal force of my salad spinner always reminds me of physics. :)</p>

<p>pineapple upside down cake (gravity?)</p>

<p>Found a posting about the physics behind creme brulee and jello:</p>

<p>Cocktail</a> Party Physics: just desserts</p>

<p>Protest the assignment!
This is a silly assignment, the kind that makes teachers look bad. </p>

<p>(I can tell you why the teacher assigned it: some of his hardest working students are struggling with physics, and s/he wants them to have a chance to get A's anyway. But this won't enhance student learning. Better s/he should give a real assignment.)</p>

<p>Disclosure: I used to teach physics.</p>

<p>While working on her master's in computer science, my sister wrote a program to create the perfect chocolate cake. The culmination of the final project was the actual cake, which she baked and presented to the class.</p>

<p>I think the physics department wants treats for their meeting next week!</p>

<p>Make/buy anything.</p>

<p>Then charge them for it.</p>

<p>Physics lesson: No such thing as a Free Lunch (AKA: Law of Conservation of Energy)</p>

<p>Pie R round, not squared</p>

<p>Quantum cake - you don't know if it is chocolate or vanilla until you cut into it.</p>

<p>german chocolate cake where you whip egg whites, then fold them in
lemon meringue pie, starring whipped egg whites
come to think of it, anything with baking soda, baking powder, yeast, cooked pudding, or just anything baked if it has egg or flour that rises, for that matter, will do the trick.</p>

<p>Entropy. Drop the cake.</p>

<p>Physics</a> Buzz: Learning Physics Through Molten Chocolate Cake
Something about the lessons learned through baking molten chocolate cake. At Harvard.</p>

<p>Engineering</a> Group -- Physics of Solar Cooking
The principles behind solar cooking- not too hard (I seem to remember, from years ago) to build a solar cooker- use some simple recipe like box brownie mix.</p>

<p>I suspect the hardest part is explaining what you learn from the experiment.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Entropy. Drop the cake.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>darn. this was my idea. mathmom beat me by 10 minutes! <em>shakes fist</em></p>

<p>Baking involves chemistry, which uses physics. Some recipes make use of pressure and volume relationship- whipped creations- density. Gravity- where the fruit sinks to the bottom in the liquid Jello but not in the later colloidal form... Soda is gas under pressure.</p>

<p>Look at desserts and think of a common scientific word that could apply. This is a fun way to show that physics does relate to everyday life- not just abstract theory. Harder than a chemistry project but since chemistry uses physics all you need to do is fgo one steep further.</p>

<p>Charles' Law and the baking of cake: </p>

<p>V1/T1 = V2/T2</p>

<p>Baking soda produces CO2. When you pop the room-temp (T1) cake batter (V1) in the hot oven, the trapped CO2 expands (V2) in direct proportion to the increased temperature (T2). You can see the cake swell bigger when you put it in the oven.</p>

<p>The cooking of the batter "freezes" the matrix that is trapping the expanded gas, so when you take the cake out of the oven, you have in essence taken a snapshot of the magnitude of the gas expansion (V2) at the set oven temperature (T2).</p>

<p>@dmd77, I don't think this is a silly assignment. I think it is an EXCELLENT assignment. Too many kids learn how to calculate the correct answer for a physics problem (or any other subject), but they don't really understand the concept.</p>

<p>Sugar work (structures made of molten sugar), chocolate balloons ( pop ballon after coating in chocolate), a gingerbread house!</p>

<p><a href="http://www.partywithcakes.com/2009/05/art-of-sugar-work.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.partywithcakes.com/2009/05/art-of-sugar-work.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I would make ice cream with dry ice -- it demonstrates thermal concepts pretty effectively!</p>

<p>GMTplus7: it would be a better assignment if it weren't extra credit. The problem with extra credit "cute" assignments is that their sole reason for existence is to improve students' grades.</p>