Male Pill

<p>Here's</a> a story about the leading research on a male contraceptive. Interesting read. I don't think it's appropriate to post elsewhere.</p>

<p>you can post stuff like this in the parent's cafe.</p>

<p>Any research being done on getting guys to do the pregnancy bit also? Us women are sick of the pain and the fatness that goes with it!</p>

<p>I don't see why there should be male pill. As child bearers, it should be a woman's issue.</p>

<p>On a side note, has anyone noted the double-standard in that a woman has a 100 percent of the choice as to whether to carry a child to birth, but only 50 percent of the liability if the child is brought to birth.</p>

<p>Male oral contraceptives have been investigated for years, and thus far, no good results. In terms of drug design, women have it easy because all you have to worry about is one egg once a month. For men, it is millions of sperm every day.</p>

<p>I think this would be great. For too long woman have been able to trap men by getting pregnant.</p>

<p>Women would be crazy to count on men to take the responsibility for contraception. Kind of like giving BP full responsibility for drilling safety. And voxpopulivoxdei, you're right. Women should have 100% of the responsibility, and 100% of the choice.</p>

<p>Or, you know, both parties could take responsibility and lessen their chances of pregnancy together. Crazy idea.</p>

<p>so men should have no responsibility as to supporting a child?</p>

<p>or should men be able to have a say as to whether a woman gets an abortion?</p>

<p>biological realities and these silly things called womens' rights make this impossible. so no, it's not fair, but tough sh1t.</p>

<p>
[quote]
so men should have no responsibility as to supporting a child?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I say NO. Not with a child born outside of marriage anyway. When one party has 100% of the decision making authority, (to continue a pregnancy or not), that party should bare 100% of the consequences of their decision. Separating decision authority from decision responsibility is a well exampled formula for disastrously bad outcome and a lot of human suffering.</p>

<p>Ya know toblin, the man has 100% of the decision making authority over whether he has sex or not, and as to whether he takes the proper precautions when he does. Once he makes that decision, he gets to bear the corresponding consequences of his decision. As you said so well, separating decision authority from decision responsibility is a well exampled formula for disastrously bad outcome and a lot of human suffering.</p>

<p>I have heard men on talk shows, present the "her choice is my bill?" argument and personally I'm "on the fence".
I am referring to most cases, consenting adults, yes, both partners have chosen to have sex. So far it is equal. It isn't all the man's choice to have sex, as in post 11. But, if a pregnancy occurs then only 1 of those 2 partners gets to make a decision that both are bound to. Some will argue that when there are safe and legal alternatives to having and keeping a baby, then a woman who chooses to keep a baby has made her own choice, should pay her own bills, and not force a man to pay the costs of her sole decision. Obviously, religion doesn't enter into it at this stage. "My religion doesn't permit abortion" won't work after an unmarried person has chosen to have sex. If the religion were so important they would not have had sex without marriage.
On the one hand, if we say it's ok that a man must turn over his share of the responsibility to choose to the woman, then how can we say that if she chooses to have and keep the baby, then he automatically gets the burden put back on him? Or if she chooses abortion, can he stop her? Or if she chooses adoption can he legally prevent that?</p>

<p>Repeating, I am on the fence. But I certainly can see the point of view that the one that gets to make the final choice should take responsibility for that choice. I can see that forcing a man to pay for a woman's choice is contrary to the idea of women's rights and equal rights.</p>

<p>I do see what you're saying younghoss, but the ramifications of the decision to have sex are known to both parties, thus both parties are responsible. If the man wants to argue that he should not be responsible for the woman's decision after a pregnancy occurs, my thought on that is that he knew all this could happen when he made his original decision. If he's not prepared to deal with the possible outcomes, then he ought to make a different decision in the first place. You know what they say, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.</p>