Man is convicted of 1984 assault, after he sought out and confessed to the victim

<p><a href=“http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-02-25-1984-rape_x.htm[/url]”>http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-02-25-1984-rape_x.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>This is a very disturbing story which I think will be of interest to readers of this board.</p>

<p>It is truly horrible that this poor woman’s whole life was permanently altered by her being victimized and raped as a 17 year old collge freshman. Among other issues, it implies, but does not come right out and state, that the fraternity bartender was part of a plan to drug the victim. </p>

<p>There are some lessons here for our current college students, which I am sure other posters will state much better than I can.</p>

<p>I read this story and I thought it was disturbing on a lot of levels.</p>

<p>Wow. </p>

<p>Wow.</p>

<p>This is disturbing on a lot of levels, as PrimeTimeMom says. That it was at UVa – a “good” school. That the administration didn’t take her seriously, yet the attacker was confronted by them. That his apology was all about him, not about her. That she is still tortured by this event, years later. </p>

<p>I wonder how much her life would have been different had the administration taken her seriously and provided counseling and everything else. Justice 23 years later is better than no justice at all, but I hope that nowadays things would be taken much more seriously by the school at the time of the event.</p>

<p>I don’t have daughters. But if I did, and this happened to them, I’d advise them to call the police, not the school administration or the campus police.</p>

<p>This is old news. This was first aired on Dateline (NBC) in May 2005 and, in their words “updated and rebroadcast” a few weeks ago <a href=“http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12876396/[/url]”>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12876396/&lt;/a&gt;
I am not sure why Dateline decided to rebroadcast it-- other than for ratings?? I don’t think they did it “just” to protect/warn the public about date rape.</p>

<p>According to the USA Today story, he was convicted in November 26 and will be sentenced in March 2007. That is why the story is current now, I guess.</p>

<p>I can’t believe people are sending this woman hate mail for trying to get answers and justice, and slamming her for not being accomodating enough to her attacker after living with what he did to her all these years.</p>

<p>Repentant? Someone who describes rape as “gentlemanly” and the victim as a fun seeker who brought it on himself? Hardly.</p>

<p>*This is old news. This was first aired on Dateline (NBC) in May 2005 and, in their words “updated and rebroadcast” a few weeks ago <a href=“http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12876396/[/url]”>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12876396/&lt;/a&gt;
I am not sure why Dateline decided to rebroadcast it-- other than for ratings?? I don’t think they did it “just” to protect/warn the public about date rape.</p>

<p>he was convicted in November 26 and will be sentenced in March 2007. That is why the story is current now,*</p>

<p>sounds like a valid reason to update the story to me.</p>

<p>I meant to write November 2006, not November “26” -sorry!</p>