Mass. elementary school district will provide first graders with condoms! Not a joke!

<p>While I believe in providing children with sex education and providing teens and others with contraception, this school district's policy is nuts.</p>

<p>"PROVINCETOWN, Mass. --Elementary school students in Provincetown would be given condoms – whether their parents approve or not – under a policy approved by the town’s school committee last week.</p>

<p>First grade students can ask for the condoms, though the policy requires that students speak to a school nurse or other trained counselor before receiving one...."</p>

<p>Condoms</a> For Elementary Students? Yes, Says Mass. Town - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston</p>

<p>Hey, condoms make the best water balloons ever ;)</p>

<p>What the faaaackkkk...</p>

<p>That's just messed up.They're still little kids..probably haven't even hit puerty yet.</p>

<p>I think it's a terrible idea because it's going to make them think it's okay to be having sex that early..and they're going to find out about it earlier than usual.</p>

<p>You have to know P'town. It's not a "typical" community in any sense of the word. Very very artsy, way out at the very tip of Cape Cod, very small year-round population. Known as a haven for gays, hippies, artists, and out-of-the-box types in general (please don't flame me, I'm not approving or disapproving, just clarifying the type of resident and visitor Provincetown attracts). In fact, I thought I read that they were closing their schools because the year-round population was too small to support it, they were going to send what few kids do live there year-round to the schools in the next town over.</p>

<p>Elementary school? 1-5 grade? As in too young to get pregnant/be in puberty? Fairly odd.</p>

<p>Ah, Aldous Huxley, what have you done to us? In the name of Ford...</p>

<p>^ LMAO. Are you referring to Brave New World? I read that book my freshman yr and it was so perverted and messed up as well...even though Huxley had all his symbolism behind it haha.</p>

<p>My opinion is that unless there was some study that sexual activity is prevalent in that elem school population, it is quite unnecessary to provide condoms to this age group. Yes, I believe in making sure kids are safe if they are going to have sex. But I do wonder if this is an issue at all for those under age 12! </p>

<p>I am very familiar with Provincetown, having vacationed there numerous times including my upcoming trip next month. All I can think of is that this community is very conscious about issues such as AIDS and perhaps this has driven them to provide for every possible situation. I still think that sex in the under 12 segment is not common, but perhaps I am wrong. Not to mention, many have not hit puberty yet.</p>

<p>Soma, soma...soma, soma, soma.</p>

<p>This is quite surprising.</p>

<p>The article is somewhat sensationalist, as one might imagine. I gather they actually approved a condom distribution policy without an age limit. The news article then - to make it sound more "oh my!!" - inserted the idea that a 1st grader could get a condom. I get the Boston Herald, the paper which took the most extreme position - as in "what's next? Birth control pills?" The actual decision says nothing about 1st graders or 2nd graders, etc. They decided they wanted to make sure that if a kid wanted to, that the school nurse would talk to that kid - in private - and that a condom would be provided if that conversation led to that. In other words, if a kid is active sexually, then this is designed to stop pregnancies and disease. </p>

<p>As for why, Provincetown has changed dramatically from all gay/lesbian to richer but still liberal. That's their view of life. Other places are more conservative. In other words, this was a purely local decision made in accordance with local values that has nothing to do with 1st graders.</p>

<p>Lergnom...that is a good analysis of it .</p>

<p>Why not give them filtered cigarettes and light beer, too?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Why not give them filtered cigarettes and light beer, too?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I can't tell whether you are merely satirizing the uproar over this or are genuinely providing an absurd analogy.</p>

<p>
[quote]
In other words, if a kid is active sexually, then this is designed to stop pregnancies and disease.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>You don't see anything reckless about encouraging (or failing to discourage) first graders from having sex? I am not a prude by any means, but there is no way that sexual relations involving very young children can be healthy developmentally.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Known as a haven for gays, hippies, artists, and out-of-the-box types in general

[/quote]
</p>

<p>No kidding. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>I think that's a bit too young...Maybe sixth grade and up? When kids are actually starting puberty? </p>

<p>I understand many kids start puberty earlier (some girls start their periods at around 10), but I still think that's a little early for kids to be needing condoms. </p>

<p>It's the kids in intermediate school where puberty starts to rage that I'm more worried about. There are so many kids having sex at 13/14 these days with no idea what they're doing because they haven't been provided with adequate safe sex information. </p>

<p>That's scary. </p>

<p>But first graders? Uh...how many first graders will actually be asking for condoms? How many will actually know what they're for? I hope not many. O-o</p>

<p>I think the media slant was about first graders. The idea appears to be that condoms are available if a child at the elementary level were to seek such assistance. If it is like our elem school, it goes from K-6. Personally, I think it is not common for anyone in that age bracket to be having sex but I suppose it is possible that an 11-12 year old might. Sex education tends to begin around that age in many schools. Anyway, I don't think the intent was to give condoms to first graders, or that such kids would be asking for them. Not saying I think this was necessary to enact as policy, but simply that the "first graders" part is the media twist or sensationalism slant.</p>

<p>Also, to Rixs....you say that "so many kids are having sex at 13/14 these days..." and if that is true, then maybe a "few" are having sex at age 12 as it likely doesn't go from zero at age 12 to "so many at age 13."</p>

<p>Well, the governor stepped in and the Superintendent and school committee are going to "revisit" the policy. </p>

<p>This was never about giving condoms to first graders. It was a policy to allow students who asked a nurse for condoms to receive them, and they just decided not to put an age limit on it. It never really occurred to them that anyone would construe this as giving condoms to first graders - because why would a child that young ask for one? But now they've seen the "other point of view" and will restrict what grades the nurse can give condoms to.</p>

<p>A girl I knew when I was in 7th grade had a baby. She was 13. It happens.</p>

<p>Goes to show the power of the moronic, nowhere-near-as-liberal-as-supposed press.</p>

<p>There is absolutely nothing wrong with a no age-limit, ask the nurse policy. There would be something wrong if first graders were encouraged to try them out, at least for their intended purpose, but no one was remotely suggesting that. P-town has roughly 20 kids per grade, so if someone is doing something out of the ordinary, people will notice and respond.</p>

<p>Why, exactly, do we want children of X age not to be able to ask a nurse for condoms? Maybe they want to use them as water balloons? Fine with me! Maybe they're just curious? Also fine. Maybe they have a good reason? If they have a good reason, I want them to get the condoms. And of course it opens the door for the nurse to have a conversation with them, a conversation that may never occur if they can't ask.</p>

<p>A kid living in P-town, by the way, is going to come by a lot of informal information about non-standard sexuality just by being there. Or, more precisely, standard sexuality in P-town is a lot more inclusive than in my town or your town (with very few exceptions), and a lot more in your face. That's just how things are. Every kid in Provincetown knows what a sex toy store looks like, and can tell which drag queens are legit and which are just wannabes. Lots of them have same-sex parents. Shielding young children from discussions of sexuality isn't really possible.</p>

<p>JHS, I totally agree with you. </p>

<p>And yes, kids in Ptown know more about sexuality than typical kids. We took our kids there a lot and I recall when they were little, my younger D when noticing the drag queens hawking their shows on Commercial Street, she'd refer to them as "man girls." :D We also took our kids to a drag show of female impersonators and they loved it.</p>