Master's Admission with Minimal Research?

<p>Hey all,</p>

<p>I was wondering, if you are only going for a master's degree (terminal master's), is it still possible to gain admission to many top grad schools with little or no research experience? I was just wondering because I am entering UF with many AP credit hours, which means that I would only have about a year to do any significant undergraduate research in Electrical Engineering. Would specifying that I am only pursuing a non-thesis master's increase my chances of getting in? </p>

<p>Thanks for all the opinions.</p>

<p>bump bump bump</p>

<p>What u r saying hardly make any sense. U have a lot of AP credits from high school, so you have less time in college to do research? Well, then sucks for people with no AP credit but did have a lot of time to do research.</p>

<p>I believe s/he is saying that he is entering college with junior standing because of AP credits. If one wants to attend graduate school directly after undergraduate education, then there's only one year of transcripts and research.</p>

<p>To the OP: master's programs do not require as much research as do doctoral programs. I think a potentially bigger problem will be a record that reflects only one year of college. You might want to wait to apply after your senior year (and work for a year) so you can have that additional college work on your application.</p>

<p>The top private universities and LACs generally don't allow AP credit to lessen the time spent in college. Instead, they allow AP credit to count for placement in upper level courses or to lighten one's course load with permission. For this reason, these particular schools might not look favorably on a college education that occurred mostly (because of the timing of your application) in a high school classroom. If you are aiming for a graduate program at one of the top private universities, then you may encounter problems with admission after only one year of college. Two years should be fine.</p>

<p>I am trying to increase the amount of time that I am spending in college by pursuing a double minor in Computer Engineering and Mathematics. That should at least give me another semester of college work and should increase my skills. As for admission to graduate school, I am not trying to get into any of the top private universities. I am just trying to get into UF grad school, the place where I am attending undergrad school. I told my parents that getting AP credit is actually a bad thing if i want to get into graduate school, and they don't even believe me. I am also trying to get into the combined BS/MS program at UF in electrical engineering.</p>

<p>So do you think that I would have no chance at getting into UF grad school? It sucks that I took so many AP classes as now I am totally screwed for grad school.</p>

<p>Never mind about the last post...</p>

<p>Doing a major in Electrical Engineering at UF with a minor in Computer Engineering will take up a full four years with about 15 credit hours a semester, even though I tested out of 28 credit hours.</p>

<p>Sorry about the confusion.</p>

<p>What year are you at UF? I'm a senior at Valparaiso University majoring in EE and I only have 1 semester of research experience but 2 terms of co-oping experience. From what I've been told it's not a determining factor. I'm also applying to UF for grad school. Do you know if they offer assistantships to their masters students?</p>

<p>I am going to be a sophomore due to AP credits, but its my first physical year at UF. I am trying to get research experience with a professor but it will probably have to wait till next year, I hear Junior year is when most internships and research start to happen...</p>

<p>You are over-thinking it. Just get to school first and then worry about the rest later. You can always back down your credit load per semester because of your AP credits. That might be appealing to a potential research advisor. Tell him you have the ability to only take 3 classes one semester, and can work for 20+ hours per week because of your reduced class load.</p>

<p>Also, because you have a large amount of credits, you might considering taking a semester off (of classes) for a full time internship. There may be opportunities through UF for that. I saw a few positions at NASA that required taking the semester off from classes to work there as an intern.</p>

<p>Just because you have a ton of AP credits, doesn't mean you HAVE to graduate in one or two years. I entered as a sophomore and was a junior by my second semester. I also started research the second half of my first year and I'm planning to stay for four years by occupying myself with exclusive (no overlapping classes) double majors. There's really no need to rush through undergrad.</p>

<p>Yea I am planning on taking 14 credit hours each semester, in addition to going for a minor in Computer Engineering (which compliments my major of electrical engineering) and that should keep me there for the full 4 years.... needless to say my parents aren't very happy about that though lol</p>