Master's Degree for Teachers Question

Hello all,

I am a teacher and I’ve begun to research Master’s degrees. The one that really catches my attention is the Curriculum and Instruction M.Ed. – I like how this program seems to offer substantial information to further develop my curriculum and my classroom abilities while also opening potential new doors for the future (Curriculum Director, Coordinator, etc.).

My question stems from something that I saw in a forum discussion recently. Someone posted that their district looked for candidates who had Educational Leadership master’s degrees to fill administrative-adjacent positions, like a Curriculum Coordinator.

I have no interest in becoming a principal, but I still would like the door to be open to other jobs within my school and district. Would it be smarter to work toward the M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction or an Educational Leadership master’s degree that is more generalized? Thanks!

Check some job postings in your area and see what type of certification is required. Around here, central office curriculum jobs require administrative certification. Building level ones require degrees in that area…e.g. language arts/reading has certification in this state (masters or 6th year). The math/science coordinator needs expertise in those areas (and usually requires teacher certification only).


This was really helpful because I have seen some of the words you’ve mentioned on a local listing. When they list something like administrative certification, are they looking for previous principals and other administrators who have their principal/admin license?

Most M.Ed. Curriculum programs I’ve seen are not attached to any license. Is licensure simply a state assessment that any M.Ed. holder can take, or would you typically need certain requirements with it, like a specific leadership degree? Thanks!

In CT, where I am, you need to fulfill certain course requirements to get an 092 administration certification. This is what is for school administrators like principals. You need to check what your state requires.

If a job says administrative certification is required…you need to know what that means in YOUR state

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help!

I agree about looking at job postings in your area and, if possible, talking with some of the people in HR or who are in or employing for those types of positions (even if there’s not an open position at the moment). If you’re wanting to be a curriculum specialist or a Master Teacher type of position, then an M. Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction would make sense. But in thinking about my school district’s job descriptions, I think it usually says a Master’s in Education without specifying, though there are job descriptions that ask for past school leadership experience, even if the actual job doesn’t necessarily appear as though that experience would be needed.

1 Like

These are great thoughts, thank you so much!

1 Like

Since you are currently a teacher, make an appointment to talk to your school administrator, or superintendent of schools. They would be able to give you some good advice.

Also college programs offering these courses of study will know what sorts of jobs they can lead to. So…see if you can make an appointment with someone in the education department where you plan to study.

Back in the Stone Age, I spoke with education department folks at two different colleges before I started my post masters studies. They were very very helpful. I also spoke to my school superintendent, and he was great too.


This is a great idea. Thank you so much!

1 Like