Masters in accounting NOT designed for UF students?!

<p>MAcc</a> - Fisher School of Accounting - Warrington College of Business Administration</p>

<p>Why is this? Is there a sole purpose behind this? I don't understand. Could someone please explain this?</p>

<p>Thank you,
Lazario,</p>

<p>And I definitely cannot enter the 3/2 program because my parents EFC 0 and I 100% depend on my pell grant to cover my undergrad tuition :(.</p>

<p>Thanks again,</p>

<p>I think that website answers your questions. Why is this? "Because each institution has its own undergraduate degree requirements, it is usually the case that some preparatory courses required by the Fisher School of Accounting have not been met. Frequently, the deficiencies are in accounting and communications courses. These courses, and any other unmet preparatory courses for the MAcc program, must be completed prior to being awarded a Master of Accounting degree. In certain instances, these courses are prerequisites for MAcc course requirements and can lengthen the time to graduation." </p>

<p>Basically this program is for other colleges who don't teach some classes that Uf teaches, so for you as an UF student would be redundant to sign up for it because you already have some of the coursework as an undergrad. If Masters is your career path, then just go ahead and sign up for the 3-2, This is how you do that for admission:</p>

<p>Minimum Standards</p>

<pre><code>Completion of, or in the process of completing, at least 80 semester hours of coursework.
GPA of at least 3.0 calculated on all courses taken after the student reaches 60 credit hours.
The timing of the student's application must meet one of the patterns listed in the "3/2 Program Timing of Application" section below.
A minimum GPA of 2.8 in all accounting courses completed at UF (3000 level and above) in semesters prior to graduate admission. Once a student has earned a "C" grade in these courses, repeats of the same course will not be computed in the students accounting GPA if the repeat grade is higher than a "C-".
A total score (for verbal and quantitative sections) of 500 or more and a minimum 4 out of 6 on the essay on the GMAT exam.
</code></pre>

<p>So in the end, you only spend 5 years instead of 6. Wouldn't that be nice?</p>

<p>Honestly, I don't understand why do you think you can not enter the program because of your family's EFC=0. You can still get fin aid for graduate school, and/or government loans, those are not exclusive for undergrad students.</p>

<p>It says this, but the program is quite useful and made for undergraduates, too. Many students do the program, and it is a good idea because you can fill the 150 hours of coursework for the CPA exam with it. This page says that only because it is not the 3/2 page.</p>

<p>Wonderful, thank you for your patience and time for a great response.</p>

<p>This is why my EFC= 0 i thought would be the issue. Here's the direct link it's all the way on the bottom. </p>

<p><a href="http://warrington.ufl.edu/fsoa/programs/3_2/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://warrington.ufl.edu/fsoa/programs/3_2/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Important Note:
Since students in the 3/2 program have a graduate classification, students receiving undergraduate scholarships or Pell grants typically lose eligibility for their funding. Students encountering this problem should consult with an academic advisor and consider entering the MAcc program after earning their BSAc degree</p>

<p>If you could help any further, it would be great. you seem to be very knowledgable of the program.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>That's was for Kttn ^^^</p>

<p>Alright. Here's something UF does sometimes, and the program is moving in this direction a lot. It is called a 4/1 program. It's essentially the 3/2 program, but you take classes in such a way that you stay undergraduate classification longer.</p>

<p>It is definitely a common choice for UF students. It seems like by the time you're a grad student you could simply live "independently", and since as a college student you will have little in assets, you could get aid. I am not sure how it works, but I do know that this 4/1 program would help a little bit.</p>

<p>Have you tried the LLM program? It's #2 right after NYU. My husband was a CPA who then entered the LLM/MST program (not at UF). Worth a shot.</p>

<p>Well, here's the thing, to apply for that program (3+2) seems like you have to have 80 credits already, which by the time you apply all those credits will have been paid for by your fin aid. The "eligibility" they refer to changes because the fin aid you have at the time is for an undergrad student and once you are accepted into that program you become a grad student. So basically you will have to apply again for fafsa (like you have to do every year anyway) but once you're accepted into the program you will apply as first time grad student seeking fin aid. If you don't have any govt. loans right now, you should be able to get some then. Worst case scenario, once you're admitted you would have to attend part time and work part time. </p>

<p>My advice would be get summer jobs and save that money. Your parents are at 0 EFC but they still help you out. In my case, I have 0 EFC -no parents helping out- so I have to go to school full time while working full time, luckily for me I get to work from home so I don't waste time commuting. Don't let money issues prevent you from achieving your education. Education is priceless IMO, and if this is really the career path you want to follow you need to go for it and worry about the money later, there will always be govt. loans, scholarships or worst case scenario credit cards and money lines to count on. </p>

<p>If you're still unsure on how all this will work out for you, talk to your fin aid adviser. If you go the fin aid website, and you go under advising there should be something like, who is my adviser? and they have the list of the two advisers that you can call based on your last name's initial.</p>