Master's in CS without having majored in it...

<p>This might be a stupid question, but I can't figure out where to start to find this kind of thing elsewhere. I'm currently an undergrad majoring in linguistics and minoring in computer science. I'd really like to go for a PhD in computational linguistics from a CS department, but in order to do so, my background will need to be more substantial than just having minored in it. I stumbled upon this description of UT Austin's CS Master's program on their website:</p>

<p>"The Masters program is designed to be flexible enough to accommodate the needs of two kinds of students: those who have just completed an undergraduate degree in computer science and want to further their studies, and those with degrees in areas other than CS who seek to broaden their education in the discipline. For admission to the program, however, even those with non-CS degrees must have a strong enough background in CS courses that the admissions committee can make educated judgments about their potential for success in a graduate program. The extent of the background coursework that is required is a decision made by the admissions committee."</p>

<p>The</a> University of Texas at Austin - Department of Computer Sciences - Academics</p>

<p>My most important question about this is: does anyone know if there are any other CS Master's programs that accommodate students who didn't major in it? Also, how would I go about finding them? Secondly, does anyone know if a minor in computer science would meet the admissions requirements for such a program?</p>

<p>Thanks a lot.</p>

<p>A minor in computer science should qualify you for many Master's programs in computer science. Austin's PhD program defines an adequate undergraduate background as follows. </p>

<p>
[quote]

Computer Architecture
Operating Systems
Programming Languages or Compilers
Theory of Computation or Algorithms

[/quote]

The</a> University of Texas at Austin - Department of Computer Sciences - Academics</p>

<p>These are standard requirements for a minor in CS. Note that you need not take all of these classes before you apply to the PhD program. Graduate students are allowed to take select undergraduate classes to prepare for their graduate coursework.</p>

<p>Are you sure that applying to the Master's program at Austin is the best way to go? Their department website explicitly states that the Master's degree is terminal and that students considering a PhD are strongly encouraged to apply directly to the PhD program. If you are unsure whether or not you are qualified to apply directly to their PhD program, you can ask their graduate admissions contact.</p>

<p>As for finding CS programs that would accept you without a full-blown CS major, I would suggest you go through a list of departments which offer computational linguistics (most don't) and read their admission policies.</p>

<p>Well, I don't really want a PhD in CS. I'm just looking to gain more experience in order to qualify for admissions to a PhD program in computational linguistics from a computer science department, rather than linguistics. Most that I've looked into require a more extensive background in CS than just a minor in it, and I'd also like to have a more extensive background anyway to potentially be more competitive for industry positions. I may be way off on this, as I'm only going into sophomore year as an undergrad and haven't even officially declared my major yet. I've tried contacting my school's linguistics department with questions, but I received no response. </p>

<p>Thank you very much for your input.</p>