Match Me - CA resident, astrophysics major, 4.0/4.4, 1590 SAT [4.27 UC weighted-capped GPA]

If you don’t qualify for aid, your non-UC reaches should be eliminated.

That you’ve saved - if earned - $130K is incredible - and no, you shouldn’t spend it.

I think Arizona is a home run - and will hit budget. Purdue would be another worth while to consider.

With those two and the UCs, I think you’d be in great shape. I don’t think you need Michigan State and NAU.

Good luck.

The OP requires a trans-friendly state, I don’t think Indiana qualifies according to LGBTQ Equality Landing Page - Movement Advancement Project (link posted by @ucbalumnus above).

2 Likes

ahhh - I missed that. Thank you.

Arizona is purple but U Arizona is blue. Not sure of the state rules. I’d look deeper.

UCSC is strong in astrophysics.

Oregon State might be a good safety - likely WUE. And they have some NSF funding.

I’m sure they’ve got acceptances as is with the list.

Oregon State leading $17M effort to understand universe via low-frequency gravitational waves | Department of Physics

The state of Arizona is rated as “low” for gender identity issues at Arizona - Movement Advancement Project .

Note that the full ride Regents Scholarship requires a separate application that is due by Dec 1. Other merit is automatic and is awarded based upon a completed admissions application

New Mexico Tech is very interesting option. Tech shares its campus with the operations center for the VLA (Very Large Array) which is the most advanced radio telescope in the world. There are many VLA research labs on the Tech campus and the majority of the VLA’s staff actually have their offices & labs at New Mexico Tech.

The VLA itself is about 45 minutes directly west of campus. It’s in an isolated location to prevent cell phone transmissions and other short wave radiation from interfering with the reception of the antennas.

(I knew 2 VLA research astronomers when I lived in ABQ. They used to commute to Socorro daily via the a van operated by the VLA for its staff who lived in ABQ. Students and VLA family members are able to ride the van between Soccoro and ABQ if there is space available for a small fee. The terminus of the van service is the Unitarian Church parking lot about 1/2 mile from the UNM campus.)

5 Likes