Math 33a tips

<p>Can anyone give me some tips on how to get a B or an A in this class</p>

<p>Practice and stuff.</p>

<p>You can get at least a B+ without going to office hours or discussion section. Homework is helpful because the examples/proofs shown in class are like whatever. But when you start doing things by hand and repeat, things start to solidify.</p>

<p>B shouldn't be too difficult to get. To get an A, read over each section at least 3 times because the author of the book likes to skip steps (I don't really like the book for this reason because everything is succinct, but in a bad way). And the more problems you do, the better. I got average on both midterms, but everything came together at the end while I was studying for the final and read over the book three times (1st pass for MT1, 2nd pass for MT2, 3rd pass for final). In most lowerdiv math courses, getting an A (or having one of the top 15 highest scores) on the final guarantees an A in the course.</p>

<p>The exams will be almost entirely problem solving. You may have to prove something, but if so it will almost certainly be something that's proved in class by the professor. So as you go along, make sure you know all the different types of problems that you'll be asked to solve and practice each type until you feel totally comfortable doing so. </p>

<p>Also make sure you know what theorems you'll be responsible for, and practice proving them until you're totally comfortable with it. If you've never done that before, the key is to understand each step (both why you want to do it and why you're allowed to do it) and then try to rewrite the proof blind.</p>

<p>It's important that you keep track of what you do and don't understand. Studying a lot isn't useful if you're wasting the time doing things that aren't conducive to learning, learning things that aren't relevant or spending your time on material that you already understand. I would suggest reading the book, but it certainly shouldn't be the only thing you do.</p>

<p>If you know what you're responsible for and study effectively, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get an A in 33A. Plus, practicing those study skills will prepare you for the more difficult classes you'll have to take down the road.</p>

<p>Don't get a C, D, or F</p>

<p>Thanks for the tips, they are very helpful! I got a C+ in math 32B and I'm fed up with my low grades. I need to change my study habits !!</p>