McMansion Cul-de-Sacs Become College Student Ghettos

<p>"You know all those people who bought spacious deluxe new homes in sprawling exurb developments, then lost the properties in foreclosure when the real estate market collapsed? Well, their younger siblings in college may now be living in these houses, which boast features you won’t find in a typical dorm or frat house—great rooms, chandeliers, swimming pools, three-car garages, kitchens with granite countertops and deluxe appliances. Anybody feel like cramming for that final in the Jacuzzi?</p>

<p>The New York Times reports that in Merced, Calif., college students and realtors have found a solution to address both the shortage of on-campus housing at the local state university and the abundance of luxurious McMansions sitting vacant and in foreclosure. You guessed it: The college kids are moving into the oversized homes in overbuilt, 'Desperate Housewives' type neighborhoods, making them seem desperate in a completely different way ..."</p>

<p>I wonder what these places will look like after the students leave.</p>

<p>McMansion</a> Cul-de-Sacs Become College Student Ghettos | Moneyland | TIME.com</p>

<p>yeah, i wish bro.</p>

<p>I read about that a few days ago on HuffPo. Sounds like a great idea to me- I liked living in the dorm, but actually paying for rent & utilities & having to deal with real neighbors (not just other random college students) would be better preparation for the real world- even if the real world doesn't involve mansions and jacuzzis(:</p>