MechE vs ChemE , and good colleges for both

<p>I have an interest for ChemE , but my chemistry teacher advised me to search for MechE colleges , because of wider specialization options when I take MechE . Is it possible to specialize in a field in chemistry involved engineering after MechE and which has better career callings?
ANh help would be great.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/internships-careers-employment/1121619-university-graduate-career-surveys.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/internships-careers-employment/1121619-university-graduate-career-surveys.html</a> might help you with job and career prospects of various majors from various colleges.</p>

<p>If you are unsure of your major, consider whether changing majors is difficult at each college, since engineering majors are often impacted and hard to change into.</p>

<p>I’m not sure if there’s a lot of difference in the two disciplines for the first semester or two. UCB may be able to speak more to this, but if you’re starting with Gen Chem, Calc, and any frosh eng’g req’d courses.</p>

<p>I know that eng’g programs are impacted at some schools, but are the disciplines so tight that someone can’t change from EE to MechE or another E. I know that if you’re outside of eng’g, it’s hard to change into eng’g, but is it hard to change disciplines within eng’g the first semester/quarter? </p>

<p>My nephew started as ChemE at Vandy, and now is a double eng’g major in two disciplines ChemE and EE. I don’t know if Vandy is easier to change around/add than say UCLA or Cal which are impacted for eng’g. Do those UCs not let you change disciplines within eng’g???</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It depends on the school.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It depends on the campus how impacted each major is. If the target major is impacted, then one has to apply to a competitive admission process to change major.</p>

<p>Top Engineering schools of the world
[Academic</a> Ranking of World Universities in Engineering/Technology and Computer Sciences - 2011| 2011 Top 100 Universities in Engineering/Technology and Computer Sciences |ARWU-FIELD 2011](<a href=“http://www.shanghairanking.com/FieldENG2011.html]Academic”>http://www.shanghairanking.com/FieldENG2011.html)</p>

<p>If you work in the power industry (natural gas specifically) you can work in the process design which involves chemical engineering and mech design.</p>

<p>UCB…so when you apply to Cal or UCLA, you can’t apply as undecided eng’g? You have to apply to a certain discipline?</p>

<p>ucb … thanks for the advice … my passion in school level studies is chemistry , but my chemistry teacher( a chemE major ) advises me to go for mechE courses and then specialize in chemical engineering in my masters and phd courses … is that viable?</p>

<p>mom2collegekids … thanks … but i heard that double majoring in two engineering courses is unacceptable at most colleges … is that true ? any advice on that question?</p>

<p>Contact the graduate schools you might eventually be looking at and ask their admissions departments if you could get into their ChemE grad programs with an undergrad degree in MechE.</p>

<p>But, honestly, if you know your interest is chemistry, then why not do chemistry??? Getting an engineering degree is difficult enough without trying to specialize in a field you’re not even interested in!</p>

<p>If you know what you want to do, then you should do it. You’ll get better grades (and improve your chances for both jobs and grad school admissions!) if you’re taking classes you enjoy.</p>

<p>P.S. You might want also to repost this question in the [engineering</a> subforum](<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/engineering-majors/]engineering”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/engineering-majors/).</p>

<p>The ME does apply to a broader range of industries than the ChE, and yes, you can get a job in the chemical industry with a mechanical engineering degree, but it most likely will be a different job than that offered to a chemical engineering graduate. If you are interested specifically in the chemical industry, then the ChE degree will open more career paths within that sector. </p>

<p>Decades ago I also loved chemistry in high school and decided to get a ChE degree because I understood that you get a good job with just the bachelor’s degree while if you majored in chemistry you would need to go through the PhD level to have similar career possibilities. This is even more true today.</p>

<p>As to the question of whether there is much difference between ME and ChE curricula during your freshman year, I would assume that varies by school. At my alma mater, while both took freshman chemistry, the ChEs took a higher level series of freshman chemistry classes (along with the chemistry majors) than the other engineering majors. We also had introductory ChE classes as freshman.</p>

<p>Northwestern is strong in both and you can switch or double easily.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Chemistry graduates have much worse job and career prospects than chemical engineering graduates for some reason.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/internships-careers-employment/1121619-university-graduate-career-surveys.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/internships-careers-employment/1121619-university-graduate-career-surveys.html</a></p>

<p>Thanks guys … I will contact some grad schools I am interested in and ask them about the situation I am in .</p>

<p>mom2collegekids … thanks … but i heard that double majoring in two engineering courses is unacceptable at most colleges … is that true ? any advice on that question?</p>

<p>It probably isn’t doable at many schools simply because each eng’g discipline requires too many unique credits. I don’t know how my nephew is doing a double eng’g major at Vandy…He did have a number of Dual Enrollment credits when he enrolled as a frosh, maybe that allowed the space in his schedule? </p>

<p>My kids’ undergrad is very generous with AP credits, so a few kids can do a double eng’g major, but not many. </p>

<p>I don’t really suggest a double major, I really just wanted UCB to speak to whether an undecided eng’g major (undecided about discipline) could be accepted at UCLA or Cal and then declare which discipline after a quarter/semester or two. </p>

<p>In your case, see if you can either do ChemE and take some mechE classes…or do MechE and take some extra chem classes.</p>

<p>mom2collegekids … I think thats a great idea , taking electives of the other subject …
Being an int’l student , I am unfamiliar with the credits system … could someone explain? I will be taking the AP exam in 2014 , but I dont understand how credits actually work …</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Sorry if I wasn’t clear - what I meant was the OP should do ChemE, rather than MechE, if that’s what he or she is interested in. I wasn’t suggesting a non-engineering degree.</p>

<p>Oh yes , ChemE is a possibility , but there are a lot of other considerations to take in as well , like job prospectives after college , usefulness of the couse as compared to MechE etc . Lot of the ChemE majors I have met say that MechE is generally more useful to do in UG as it provides a wider base , and a possibility to specialize in many fields in masters/phd courses.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Berkeley does allow freshmen to apply to College of Engineering Undeclared, after which you can declare major (without the usual competitive application process to change major) by the end of your first year. However, (a) it may be more selective than applying to most other College of Engineering majors, and (b) chemical engineering is in the College of Chemistry, so one would have to apply to switch divisions for that major.</p>

<p>Berkeley does have joint engineering majors of the following combinations:</p>

<p>materials with any one of chemical, electrical, mechanical, nuclear, or bio
nuclear with any one of chemical, electrical, materials, or mechanical</p>

<p>Other double major combinations may be doable if you have a lot of credit going in.</p>

<p>chemical engineering is in the College of Chemistry, so one would have to apply to switch divisions for that major.</p>

<p>Really? how typical is it to put ChemE in the Chemistry dept? I’d never encountered that before. I don’t think all Calif publics that have ChemE do that. If I remember correctly, Cal Poly - P puts it in eng’g.</p>

<p>So some colleges do not have all engineering courses in the school of eng’g ? Is it possible to switch between schools in that case?</p>