<p>It’s not an outlier because according to your post it’s not supposed to happen. The education system is set up to keep the middle class middle class right. Well this guy went to SJSU.
I don’t really need to read any book. I’ve seen plenty of examples in my life time to know that this is not a country to rail against injustice.</p>
<p>DrGoogle…statistically speaking, dstark is right. It’s not that class mobility is a total myth in the U.S. - that would be incorrect. And yes, some people do get very fortunate - or very talented - and manage to move from working class or middle class to very wealthy, like Jan Koum (one of the co-founders of WhatsApp, to whom I think you were referring when you said the “welfare to billionnaire WhatsApp guy”).</p>
<p>The good news, though, is that education is really the key to upward social mobility. Eighty-four percent of people who started off in the lowest income quintile but earned a college degree were able to move out of that quintile later in life.</p>
<p>Just bcs someone is paying 200 bucks for a haircut, 2,000 bucks for a handbag or 20,000 bucks for a wristwatch, doesn’t mean they’re getting more utility for the money.</p>
<p>I spent 20 bucks for an SAT test prep book for DS. I’m perfectly satisfied w the results.</p>
<p>dstark, too weird–when my son was around that age and we were at the store he did the same thing with grapefruit. But they were 5 for a dollar. He said, “So that means they’re 20 cents each, right?” He’s never had a tutor, either. :)</p>
<p>MODERATOR’S NOTE - I deleted several posts. Please remain civil and don’t get into politics. Members don’t like it when we close threads - please help me avoid that!</p>
<p>I got myself from a 1680 to a 2280 with one $30 practice book from collegeboard. This just seems like another case of the extremely rich throwing money at their problems (or in this case, their kids’ problems) to make them go away. No reason a determined teenager can’t experience improvement with hard work and discipline for under $50.</p>