Michigan vs Texas AM

<p>At first glance i'm sure this looks like a clear cut question but it's far from...</p>

<p>Money is the largest issue here; i don't want to place an unnecessary burden on my parents but at the same time don't want to go to a bad school (not saying either of these are bad schools, but relatively speaking i'm sure we can see which one is). From what i can gather Michigan-ann arbor is going to cost about 33k a year and texas AM will cost me nothing, due to national merit (i should really check this myself). </p>

<p>I will be double majoring in Physics and Biomedical Engineering (the latter being out of respect for parent's wishes). If i head over to Michigan I will be heading into a vortex of money, of which we don't have too much. It seems superflous to pay 33k when i could be going to a relatively good school for free but there IS value in the name...</p>

<p>The simple problem is that, due to my nature, i'm a take it easy kind of person that really truely enjoys learning and loathes tests/homework/hoop jumping. I'm prepared to buckle down and work hard at Michigan (33k, i damn well better) but it'll probably just be school related stuff when, for the last few years, i've absolutely enjoyed learning about theoretical physics, eastern history, military history, etc on my own albeit at the expense of my grades.</p>

<p>I'm having a surprisingly hard time deciding this simply because my parents will be paying a large large amount of money for what might end up being a minutely better education, if that at all. </p>

<p>I'm also not really a large fan of texas/the south but i can deal with it... From what i've heard, TAM is a pretty conservative school in a pretty conservative part of the country.</p>

<p>There are some other advantages of TAM (high school friends at Austin; close but not TOO close) as well as proximity to Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. But then there's Michigan that seems to be a school i would absolutely love in an environment i would love.</p>

<p>Thanks for any feedback</p>

<p>There is really no comparison between the two schools, in my opinion. If money is the deciding factor, then you know what you should do. Have you considered UT as a compromise? Are you in-state? A&M is large and does have a variety of people, but is mainly conservative. It has a distinct culture and an amazing alum network. It is not a beautiful campus. It is 3 hours from Dallas, by the way.</p>

<p>Not to make you feel bad, but Michigan will cost 35K+ without scholarships.</p>

<p>I looked at the total cost and it's about 36k. I'm getting 3-4k in grants from the FAFSA deal.</p>

<p>UT-Austin I have considered...but a few friends are going there. These guys have been my good friends for a few years now (one of them i've known for 14 years) and my going there would be academic suicide. Our partying this year has already cost me quite a lot on the good old GPA and attendance meter. It's safe to say UT-Austin (the only one i applied to) is out of the picture.</p>

<p>I am not in-state, i am from Kansas. I wished i had visited both of these but time constraints and other factors prevented me from doing so. Thanks for the tips though.</p>