Michigan, Wisconsin, or Washington

<p>All great state schools and a I have athletic offers to all three. Which would you chose and why?</p>

<p>Guess it depends what your sport is but I'd choose Michigan hands down--great school with great national reputation if you're thinking about what happens after college yet</p>

<p>What sport? UM's supposed reputation is a bit inflated here. UWis does virtually as many things well and some better. Has a much nicer campus and more exciting town.</p>

<p>track and field</p>

<p>Nice! Are you a distance runner?</p>

<p>I'll say UMich too, but it's close. If you're planning on XC and such, Wisconsin's got a great up and coming running program, and even though Withrow's out after this year they've still got a lot of great guys.</p>

<p>Have you been on a visit to any?</p>

<p>I'm a mid-distance guy not a xc guy and yes I have been to both Mich and Wisc but not Washington.</p>

<p>what do you want to do education wise?</p>

<p>Undecided, but I have a interest in political science and sports management. My plan is to go to law school after undergrad.</p>

<p>"What sport? UM's supposed reputation is a bit inflated here."</p>

<p>I am not so sure it is Barrons. If anything, Michigan is typically underrated on this forum. However, Wisconsin is ever more underrated, so relatively speaking, when comparing those two institutions on this forum, I agree that Michigan is, relative to Wisconsin, inflated.</p>

<p>"UWis does virtually as many things well and some better. Has a much nicer campus and more exciting town."</p>

<p>I agree that in many ways, Michigan and Wisconsin are even. In some ways, Michigan is better and in other ways, Wisconsin is better. However, in terms of campus and town, I am not sure I agree with you. Not that Wisconsin/Madison aren't awesome, but that Michigan/Ann Arbor are also pretty awesome. They are different in many ways, so I would recommend the OP go for fit. He has visited both schools, so he probably has a favorite.</p>

<p>leaning toward Michigan but I hear the winter is brutal not saying Wisc is better. I like UGA also but Mich and Wisc are better academically.</p>

<p>Lately, Michigan winters have been mild. You get a few days with sub zero temperatures, but for the most part, lows hover in the mid twenties and highs are right around freezing. Wisconsin is slightly colder, but not as bad as you might think.</p>

<p>Alexandre you seem to be an expert on Mich, so I have a question for you. What are the top 5 things one must see or do before they graduate? I know attend a game in the Big House. lol</p>

<p>Therre are way too many things to do before graduating. </p>

<p>1) Each department and major has a dozen or so world class professors teaching fascinating upper level classes with fewer than 20 students. So depending on major, I would say taking a handful of those classes is a must.</p>

<p>2) Regardless of interest, Michigan attracts the best. The best artists, musicians, athletes, authors, thinkers etc... Whether students at Michigan or leaders in their fields from around the world, students at Michigan have the rare priviledge of being constantly exposed to unique, world-class people and events.</p>

<p>3) Spend a Spring/Summer term at Michigan to enjoy the great weather, laid back atmosphere and the Ann Arbor Art Fair.</p>

<p>4) Definitely attend as many Football and Hockey games as possible. Those are awesome. </p>

<p>5) Enjoy all that Ann Arbor has to offer. The city has an incredible array of international restaurants and interesting bookstores and boutiques. </p>

<p>6) Have dinner at Zingerman's whenever you get the chance. What awesome sandwitches!</p>

<p>Winters in Madison are significantly colder than in Ann Arbor.</p>

<p>You need to visit the U. of W. and Seattle! On a clear day you can see Mt. Rainier 54 miles to the Southeast. The Pacific Northwest is an outdoorman's paradise and would be far more desirable for outdoor year-round training than Ann Arbor or Madison. The PAC-10 competition would also likely be more challenging. Yes, you can get a good education at U.W. and there are many fine companies headquartered in Seattle.</p>

<p>Both schools are on the same tier academically, and both are excellent, but Michigan has a bit more of a reputation. Weather wise, both are cold, but WI gets colder. </p>

<p>Just go with your gut here. Also, if you really like UGA, don't rule it out. Their reputation is really growing, and the Atlanta metro has one of the best job markets in the country right now.</p>

<p>UW's CC is hardly up and coming. It's been very good to great for decades. And despite the weather Wisconsin produces far more national level track and CC stars than Washington. Only Oregon would be comparable in the NW.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.uwbadgers.com/pdf/?id=7046%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.uwbadgers.com/pdf/?id=7046&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I know you love Wisky Barron's, and I agree that is it is a very good school and attractive campus. However, I would venture to say that Michigan is more prestigious and more well know nation/worldwide than Wisconsin.</p>

<p>UW outranks UM in the SJTU word university science rankings which are given considerable weight outside the US. UW has also passed UM in research spending, patents and other such activity. Its stem cell patents and research are far ahead anything UM has. Your perception lags reality.</p>

<p>I think what rjk means is that UM has more of a name with the general public. Not that it's a better school (it's not; they're on the same tier, each with different strengths and weaknesses), just that it's better known.</p>