Microbiologist vs Marine Biologist vs Wildlife Biologist vs Neuroscientist

<p>If you had to choose between these 4 professions, which would you choose and why? Take into account how interested you would be, job security, salary, etc, whatever would matter to you for picking a job.</p>

<p>(I placed this in this section rather than the science major section because I knew it would get more replies here)</p>

<p>I don't see why a high school student would need to pick between them. A basic biology degree would be perfectly suitable for any of those fields, particularly since at least a MS would be required for those careers.</p>

<p>In terms of career prospects, marine biology and wildlife biology have average-to-poor outlooks compared to other areas of biology (and certainly other sciences). The supply of people in those fields is high, but the number of well-paying jobs is comparatively low. While it's certainly possible to live comfortably doing zoology for a living, you won't be rich.</p>

<p>I don't see how my opinion helps anyone with this decision, but I would personally choose either field over microbiology or neuroscience, as I find it far more interesting than microbiology or molecular biology (despite the determined efforts of several elite universities to eradicate organismal biology from their curriculums). In any case, choosing between them is a vast oversimplification; quite a number of marine biologists are also microbiologists and study plankton, for example.</p>

<p>Yeah, I realize that all of them would require a PhD to really get anywhere, but I'm still interested in seeing others opinions on them. I think all of them would be interesting, but I agree that marine and wildlife biology would probably be more interesting. I worry about job outlook and future salary for them though :/</p>

<p>Also, so much for getting more responses here x)</p>

<p>Micro can be pretty interesting too, though I agree with the previous poster about not needing to specialize at the undergrad level.</p>

<p>Welcome</a> to the ASM Career Portal - Microbiology Careers
Society</a> for Industrial Microbiology • Career Information</p>

<p>Thanks for the links Zapfino; you are always very helpful :)</p>