Mid-Year Grades

<p>Quick question: Can graduate/professional schools call the registrar's office and request/ask for a student's first semester grades? Or does the student request to send them to the schools himself?</p>

<p>I don’t think third parties have that right at most US colleges. The student would have to send it.</p>

<p>Thanks so much! I couldn’t find that answer anywhere. I remember in high school colleges called counselors all the time requesting students’ grades–didn’t know if it was the same for college/grad schools.</p>

<p>It’s governed by a federal law called FERPA rather than individual colleges’ policies. In high school your parents held the rights, but past age 18 or at an institution higher than high school, the students holds the rights. The law lists a few exceptions but I don’t think grad schools are one of them. But it’s important to note that you may have waived (some of) your rights somewhere along the line. It’s one of those fine print things.</p>

<p>Thanks again! I checked out FERPA policies and was confused by one of the exceptions in which a university can release information so I called my school and was told that they aren’t allowed to give grades out without a student’s consent, period. The only thing they can give out without consent is enrollment status. Thanks for informing me about FERPA–had no idea it existed!</p>