mini fridge for dorm

<p>what is a good mini fridge for dorm that is under $90?</p>

<p>I've had good luck with several different brands. One thing I'd recommend (besides buying on Craigslist if that's an option), is buying one of the larger mini-fridges ... the ones that are typically 30" tall. They hold much more than a small mini-fridge. Something like this:
Amazon.com:</a> Emerson Compact Refrigerator - 4.6 cu. ft.: Kitchen & Dining</p>

<p>Here's one on Hartford Craigslist for $60:
Large</a> mini fridge (great for college dorm)</p>

<p>Check the college residential rules if you are in a dorm. Some limit the size of the refrigerator. For example, Carleton limits refrigerators to 3.6 CF. At Oberlin, it's 5 CF. FWIW, we liked the Frigidaire with the separate freezer. Worked well and kept ice cream perfectly. It is more expensive new than what you are looking for, but perhaps you can find a used one on CL.</p>

<p>Don't make our mistake. Some of the smaller dorm frigs do not have a coolant. They have insulation and a fan and work on a heat exchange model. Haier makes one of these. It keeps the food 20 degrees cooler than the outside air. That's just fine if the room is 68 degrees or so. But the Haier I bought was near a register (only place it would fit) and in the winter the air near the register was 80 degrees. The stuff in the frig wasn't even close to cold. We bought another Haier that was $20 more that has coolant (you can tell because of the coils on the back and the presence of an ice compartment) and it has worked fine now for two years.</p>

<p>We bought the **Sanyo **model from Costco a few weeks ago and it's been undergoing Initial Qualification before its great trip to Da South. I stuck a digital temp probe there and it's been running solid at 36F (set to mid) and freezer to 2F for two weeks with lots of ambient temp variation. $100 for the 2.5cf and $129 for the 3.xcf model.</p>

<p>I am considering one for S, but was unsure of which. Walmart has a GE 4.5 cf for $125, but the freezer is useless. D had one a couple of years ago with the separate freezer and Walmart has that for $125 as well. She recommends the one she had. Walmart.com:</a> GE 3.1 cu ft 2 Door Compact Refrigerator, Black: Appliances</p>

<p>IMPORTANT WARNING FOR ALL MINI-FRIDGES!</p>

<p>When you buy a mini-fridge from the store, leave it standing upright at home for 12-24 hours before plugging it in. There's an oil pan in the motor, and when the fridge is tipped, the oil spreads out. You need to let the oil all return to the oil pan before you turn it on or you may be hurting the efficiency and shortening the lifetime of the motor. Mini-fridges are supposed to be stored upright at all times but not all stores do this, so play it safe. If you tip the fridge on its side while bringing it to school, leave it upright for a day before plugging it in.</p>

<p>there have been lots of threads on this topic. YOu might want to do a search ont he word. Many are on sale now. Decide if you want a small freezer compartment and what cubic footage you need. There are some that are coolant free, but they dont seem to get as cold as the other fridges.</p>

<p>I would not recommend buying a mini fridge. We rented one for the two years our daughter was in a dorm. Even though it might have cost a bit more in the long run (but it was mitigated by sharing it with her roommate), we didn't have to deal with moving it out and storing it over the summer, and it was delivered right to the room. We didn't have to get it up to the third floor room (no elevator) and then getting it down again. When it broke, the company replaced it. It was so worth it.</p>

<p>Alternate opinion:</p>

<p>DS got a ton of use out of his fridge. He stored it at a friends over the summer. When he moved off campus we brought it home and it has been in my office, used for cold drinks and light lunches. We definitely got our money's worth! Oh, and you can store a little bit of stuff in it if need be over the summer.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, renting a fridge is cost prohibitive - Less than a year's rent buys the thing outright unless you can find rental sources outside the usual college channels.</p>

<p>DD1's college rents a 3cf fridge and compact microwave all-in-one for $195/yr. The fridge is $129 (Sanyo) and microwave another $50 (Sanyo also) from Costco, and they're yours. If we're dealing with long distance moves, it may be far better to rent or buy and store - no good answer either way. Too many variables.</p>

<p>Check the residence rules before buying. In some cases, the combo frig and microwaves are the only way to be permitted to have both. Not uncommon for colleges to have significant appliance restrictions in dorms that were not originally built to support modern high power use. At my D's first school, you could not have a microwave at all in the dorms unless it was part of a rented fridge/microwave combo.</p>

<p>Just a general comment - we got a mini-fridge for our house because we have a bar in the family room. It was terrible. The drinks were barely cool and it took hours and hours and hours for the ice cubes to form.</p>

<p>We bought a mini-fridge in 2003 for older d's freshman year at college for under $100 at Best Buy. She used it for two years, younger d used it as well and older d has been using it for the past four years in her art studio. It has worked perfectly well all the time in whatever states it has traveled to along with one year or more spent in our garage.. so we have certainly gotten out money's worth out of it.</p>

<p>We've just bought D a 3.3 cu.ft fridge with a small freezer in the top from Walmart. It is made by Rival and was only $86. It has a freezer that is the width of the fridge (as opposed to just half the width of the freezer) and has a soda can dispenser in the door - it's black. It stands less than 36 inches tall.</p>

<p>I ordered it online for in store pick up at my nearest Walmart and picked it up the same day.</p>