Miscellaneous Questions from a Freshman

<p>I'm an entering freshman and like everyone else I've got lots of questions - some trivial, some important - so I thought I'd put them all in one place. Obviously I'm not going to succeed in this one post (my memory is notoriously unreliable) but I'll follow up on this thread if I think of anything else. Any other freshman with questions is welcome to add them to this thread and if it works as I hope it will, you should get more traffic than if you were to ask individually. Here goes:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>What's the swim test like? As someone who knows how to swim pretty competently but hasn't had many chances to get into the water in recent years, I'm wondering if the test is quite relaxed or if its requirements are strictly enforced. For instance, do they require that your backstroke look like a legit backstroke instead of a random set of movements that gets you moving backward? Also, what would be the appropriate (or typical) attire? </p></li>
<li><p>What constitutes an average day in an FWS classroom? Are sessions heavily centered on student discussions or do they function like a lecture just with smaller audiences (or is there a good mix of both)?</p></li>
<li><p>As freshmen, how much did you find yourself spending in an average week on meals, coffees, concerts, groceries, supplies, etc.?</p></li>
<li><p>Is there any place on or near campus where I could get an Internet connection that does not add into my 15GB/month 'limit'?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I bumped up a thread on #1 for you ...</p>

<p>thanks memphismom!
and as a lazy freshman who hasn't been working out this summer... can you take a short break after each lap? i find swimming even more exhausting than running.</p>

<p>i dont think the swim test is gonna be anything mad intense guys</p>

<p>I bumped up threads for you that I found using the search this forum function for #1,2,3. these is more info on each topic on other threads...</p>

<p>@memphismom: Thanks!</p>

<p>@Intellectual5: It's 25 yards per lap, don't worry.</p>

<p>@jerseyindian: I don't think it would be intense either, just that if I had to do a 'real' backstroke I wouldn't want to find out five minutes before the test. It sounds casual enough on that thread, so I'm not going to bother practicing or anything.</p>

<p>Writing seminar culture depends entirely on the instructor and on the students in the class.</p>

<p>
[quote]
4. Is there any place on or near campus where I could get an Internet connection that does not add into my 15GB/month 'limit'?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Any of the computer labs. I've posted this somewhere else. on North there's a lab at Appel Commons (5), RPCC(15), Dickson Lab (40). The last one is the best if you're into lan parties or WoW. the internet and speed and graphic capabilities are more than sufficient (these computers are supposed to be used for "work").</p>

<p>Other computer labs you might frequent include Mann Library (loads of computers) on the Ag quad (I think it's the Ag quad) and the Engineering quad has two very well equipped labs (Carpenter Library although we've been told it's being "restructured". There's another one in the basement of Upson, don't remember what that's called.). The Eng quad also has several other computer labs but not really frequented by passers looking for internet. These labs people actually do lots of work in so sometimes it's not the best idea to pursue leisure here. </p>

<p>I believe if you connect to the WIFI service (available throughout most of campus) using your laptop, it DOES count towards your 15, in case you're thinking of bringing your laptop with you. You're tracked because you have to register your laptop to get connected. </p>

<p>In any case, bring your own head/earphones (or the computers are silent).</p>

<p>In the spirit of bandwidth and the revamped Bnet, STARCRAFT II. WOOT</p>

<p>if you've swum before, any sort of muscle-memory stroke that will get you across will suffice. attire, anything short of underwear goes for males. two/one piece are both fine for females. Would probably be a good idea to make sure it's for swimming though... unless you want to put on a show lol. </p>

<p>The FWS feature a mix of both usually but the Profs/TAs have individual preferences of course. The instructors aren't permanent for these FWS though so there really isn't that much reliable info on specific persons. I find the discussions more interesting since you get to hear your peers - often from different colleges - speak.</p>

<p>if you bring a printer, it will cut your costs by quite a bit.
If you have the 10 a week meal plan, you should be more than fine for meals; if you're a picky eater or a vegetarian that might not be true though... Depending on how you spend your BRBs (on snacks, midnight meals and coffee), it could be a lot or it could be little. with $500 BRBs, that comes out to around $27 a week on top of your meals as your "food" budget. Parties might have cover charges, and "concerts" are like 5-10 for A Capella/symphony/comedy by students, and guest concerts are usually at least 35. (We had Maroon 5 and Bo Burnam and Bill Maher recently)</p>

<p>you dont need proper form for the swim test, as long as your body moves from one end to the other, its cool. they even have a lane for slower swimmers where they actually help you out with a pole if you're struggling.</p>

<p>of course, somni will find something wrong with this post and disagree, so all my points are invalid.</p>

<p>awwww....poor Feral :(</p>

<p>Don't worry...as a former CU lifeguard who was on duty during the swim test, I can support your statement ;)</p>

<p>Another thing that I do want to add about the swim test: I believe you have to jump into the water and then you can grab on the wall to start. If you're absolutely terrified of that (and there were plenty) you can usually convince the athletics director to let a lifeguard put out their rescue tube for you to aim for and grab when you jump in. I had one girl who was so terrified that the AD had me hold the girl's hand and jump in with her!</p>

<p>for the swim test, i know that they will not allow you to wear a t-shirt over your swimsuit, but would it be appropriate to wear swim shorts? they are not the clothing-type shorts. they were made specifically for swimming.</p>

<p>guys swim shorts are those with the mesh...or those surfer type printed shorts that extend past the knee...</p>

<p>as someone who had to take PE swim and sorta mastered the jumping into the water technique lol...u want to basically bend your legs and basically enter the water with your knees bent and you forward (fetus position ALMOST)</p>

<p>instead of just jumping straight down with your whole body pointed vertically...</p>

<p>Hi all, thanks for your responses so far. I'm adding a couple of questions, please do answer them if you have the time:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>If anyone's ever taken Introduction to Bowling for PE, what's the class like? Is it instructional and heavily centered around the professor/coach or is it more free and easy, with a more leisurely mood? (I guess it's obvious which atmosphere I'd prefer.)</p></li>
<li><p>How many kitchens are there on every floor in Clara Dickson Hall? Do freshmen ever attempt to cook say, one or two meals a week or would that be unusual?</p></li>
<li><p>What exactly are course packets? I would assume that they were collections of notes/readings compiled by the professors but for some reason the three course packets for my Government class cost a total of $150. Is this what they typical cost or am I right to feel that they're pretty expensive?</p></li>
<li><p>What's a good amount of cash to have around for moving-in expenses and such? I'm an international student so: (a) I don't have any bank account and will have to deal in cash for most of my initial purchases (b) Because I'm coming from Singapore (the land of perpetual summer), my moving-in costs will probably include buying fall/winter gear.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>bowling is the best PE class ever if you just wanna chill. literally, you just go there, and bowl for 1.5 hours, the guy doesn't teach you anything unless you ask him to, its basically like going bowling for fun for free.</p>

<p>i believe course packets are like a textbook, except just not in textbook form, they are just a bunch of hole punched papers, sold to you in shrink wrap.</p>

<p>
[quote]
literally, you just go there, and bowl for 1.5 hours, the guy doesn't teach you anything unless you ask him to, its basically like going bowling for fun for free.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Except that when it costs $102, it isn't really 'free'. But I take your point.</p>

<p>
[quote]
What exactly are course packets? I would assume that they were collections of notes/readings compiled by the professors but for some reason the three course packets for my Government class cost a total of $150. Is this what they typical cost or am I right to feel that they're pretty expensive?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Feral correctly described what a course packet it. And don't worry...even the profs feel the course packets are very expensive. One prof told me that, while she felt the cost was too high, she felt safer going with the packet through the Cornell Store because Cornell has been targeted for copyright violations (due to profs just posting articles on blackboard). </p>

<p>Most of my course packets were $100+</p>

<p>ok well i guess its not really free, but since you would have to pay for any gym class, its technically part of your tuition, as opposed to just going bowling one night for fun</p>

<p>course packets are pretty much 1 use textbooks. like a textbook that becomes worthless once the semester is over.</p>

<p>also, I disagree with feral. I didn't pay anything for my gym classes</p>

<p>do you ever agree with Feral?
i believe that there are some gym courses that have a fee to cover equipment, etc.,
but most don't have a fee. look under the course descriptions, that's where i noticed it.</p>