Miserable. Transfer from state school to fashion school?

<p>I'm a junior who's had her fair share of ups and downs the past couple years. I currently go to a large state school in the midwest, originally to study journalism. But I've had so many problems both academically and socially, that I have been failing or almost-failing (several but not all) classes the past couple years and feel so uninspired. There's just nothing at this school that I truly want to study because my true passion is both fashion journalism and fashion merchandising. My grades will probably get me kicked out of our journalism school, and I'm not sure I'd want to stay in it even if I wasn't kicked out. I hate it and my lack of interest and motivation is clearly a huge part of my problem.</p>

<p>My parents have known about my grades and problems, and when last year I brought up transferring to another school to study my true passion for fashion, they advised me to try sticking it out at my state school because it's more practical and whatnot. And I tried that. But they're used to the bright, excelling, A-student from high school, but now I'm only happy writing fashion columns for online publications outside of school. I feel in my gut I should transfer, even as a junior, and attend the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. It's got both programs in fashion journalism and merchandising, and I can take classes online until I decide whether or not I want to eventually move out there and take physical classes. Plus a lot of my credits will actually transfer to fulfill their liberal arts requirements, so I won't be THAT far behind.</p>

<p>The problem is HOW I should tell my parents my thoughts in a mature, rational and persuasive way. I've talked to my parents about the Academy briefly, but they didn't listen as intently since they wanted me to give my state school another shot. Also, my dad doesn't have an even temper and I'm always afraid to voice my opinions to him, since he has never found the arts to be all that worthwhile like my mom.</p>

<p>The other problem is that if I transfer, my student loan at this school will kick in. I don't know how to rationalize where that money will come from to allow me to pursue my dreams rather than stay stuck at this school studying a whole new major because my grades don't qualify me to study what I want and my school doesn't offer more artistic/fashion/merchandising options. HELP!</p>

<p>True maturity is being able to take classes in subjects one is not necessarily "passionate" in and pass with reasonable grades that are commensurate with one's basic intelligence. </p>

<p>I can't imagine many parents who would be interested in paying 22K-34K a year for an art academy for a student who, because of being "bored" or "disinterested," can't manage a reasonable gpa. Let's say a B average, assuming you have that skill level. </p>

<p>It is a false notion that transferring to a new school will provide a student with "motivation." It doesn't work that way. And even if it miraculously did, it is reasonable for parents to want to see that their adult child has the maturity (stick-to-it-skill set) to manage courses at the current college before throwing money on a new adventure.</p>

<p>All you can do is tell your parents what you have here and go from there. I am just pointing out that their point of view is quite normal and common--and their concerns need to be addressed because it sounds like they are the ones paying a lot of the bills right now. Work on how you can address their concerns. Maybe you can make a trade--a good semester at your current school to show them focus and drive--for a chance to take some online courses to see if the SF is really all it is cracked up to be. Etc.</p>

<p>The problem is I'm stuck because I've already wasted a year at this school when they knew I wanted to transfer last year. And now that my GPA fell just below the tough standards, I don't think the j-school will keep me, which means I'll have to start over anyway here. Any new courses I took here wouldn't be able to go toward a journalism major anymore, so how does sticking it out yet another year help when I need to change my major track anyway. That's why I'd like to transfer somewhere that actually offers what I want. It's a waste of money to stay at this school only to eventually transfer to art school where not all those old credits will transfer with me.</p>

<p>Your argument/rationale seems to be "I screwed up the first year, it is everyone else's fault, why should I have to go back and redo the year and prove myself academically capable to my parents?" It might seem like a waste of money to <em>you,</em> but from the parents' perspective, they may rather pay for another year at a known institution with known parameters to see if you can get serious enough to just get decent grades at your current university before contemplating supporting you at another school.</p>

<p>Note also that the Art University in SF (if I looked up the correct school) has a 100% acceptance rate. What that says to me is that any yahoo can come in and take classes--there is a certain rigor missing in that kind of open door policy and your parents may be rightly concerned about you getting your degree there.</p>

<p>Your parents are not in a hurry. They'd likely rather see you stick it out at your current university for now. Again, if you want their money, you have to compromise. If you are truly worried about "wasting money" how about a year at a cheaper community college to prove you can concentrate and get good grades? How about a transfer to a school other than the art school in SF? What do your parents want to have you contribute? Again, it just sounds like you want to fail out in order to force your parents' decision rather than <em>prove</em> yourself worth of further investment first.</p>

<p>I truly get what you are saying, annikasorrensen. Let me address what you said:</p>

<p>I'm not blaming anyone for my problems. I know what academic/mental/social/health issues I've dealt with the past year or so and know both what is my fault and what is out of my control what has happened to me. Me "screwing up" isn't really the issue. But anyway, I'm in my third year, an nowhere near graduating due to withdrawing from classes (I already took off last spring semester due to depression and other issues going on with family and stuff) and due to lots of red tape at the university even if I were allowed to stay in journalism (which I'm not) i would only be able to take 9 credits of journalism max per semester, so its not like i can load up on credits and play catch up, i'd still be stuck here for like 3 years and none of the summer classes offer magazine journalism either. It's complicated.</p>

<p>ANYWAY I'm just saying no matter where I go, I'm going to be there for a long time to graduate, so why shouldn't I be allowed to change my career path now before it's too late. I've already spent three years here miserable and don't want to spend 3 more here when I have so many issues, concerns, and have been wanting to transfer for over a year now.</p>

<p>I do know about the Academy's 100% acceptance rate- it's part of their mission to allow anyone who wants to pursue a career in art-whether it be dance, graphic design, painting, you name it- without a portfolio since so many people aren't able to build up impressive portfolios and get into Juliard, FIT, etc. But I have talked to students, read reviews and if you look it up, the retention rate after freshman year is pretty low--which is a good thing. Everyone I talked to said it's a rigorous program depending what you go into, and they make sure to weed out the faint of heart--just as many large lectures do for freshmen at regular universities. Everyone has said their fashion merchandising and journalism classes have been rigorous, and to expect lots of long nights. I'm prepared to do that, as it is what I love and what I already do for my jobs as a fashion columnist etc. I'm not concerned about how good the academics will be, though I get how at first glance it may look like an "easy" school. Quite the opposite.</p>

<p>I have looked at transferring to so many different schools, but most don't offer what I want. I have talked with my parents about it before and my mom did agree that outside of certain top tier fashion schools (FIT, Parsons, London College of Fashion, etc) the Academy really does offer everything I want to be happy and succeed. I know it's where I want to go and regret not having voiced this to my parents two or more years ago, and don't want to have any more regrets. That's why I'd really like advice on how to help talk to my dad about considering transferring, because if I don't transfer to a school that offers what I want, I just don't want to waste money and stay in this school studying toward an English Lit degree or whatever, only to then enroll in the Academy after graduation when my loans kick in and I'm in debt. Because I feel like no matter what path I take, I'm going to end up there. Why not sooner rather than later, we can't afford to waste much more time.</p>

<p>I am not familiar enough with the Academy to know for certain if your existing student loans would continue to be deferred while you would be enrolled there. Do you know for certain that your student loans would become due while enrolled at the Academy?</p>

<p>I guess the question really becomes if your parents would pay for this new school and/or how you'd pay for it on your own. I can't say I have any advice on how to talk to your parents other than to keep asking what they need from you in order for them to get on board with your new plan. Often this is a series of conversations with compromises and promises that need to take place as well.</p>

<p>Someone told me as long as you provide proof of enrollment somewhere else, they should be deferred. So I'll obviously have to find that out with my parents.</p>

<p>And you're right. I just get so timid and scared talking to my dad, while it's the opposite with my mom. He obviously has no interest in fashion and is a much more traditional businessman-type person. Guess I just need to lay it all out there and hope for the best, thanks!</p>