MIT EA admit shoots her acceptance into "space"

<p>I suppose this is already on the MIT board, but not all of us find our way there.</p>

<p>Sometimes a tippy-top school is the perfect fit. :) And yes, she is both 16 and will be in the class of 2016. </p>

<p>16-y-o</a> girl, accepted to MIT, sends her admission letter into space - Boing Boing</p>

<p>Love it! ...</p>

<p>This is so cool--I sent it to my son, who will forward to a friend who is her classmate!</p>

<p>That was awesome!</p>

<p>looks like she had an army of help</p>

<p>Of course she did, soccerguy. Some others made the same types of comment on boingboing. Since it appears you didn't read the boingboing responses, I'll write my own:</p>

<p>Of course she worked with a lot of help. It'd be pretty hard to track the thing on her own, let alone launch it. not to mention paying for the equipment, which is why she borrowed equipment. She also gets props for reaching out to the local ham radio group, among others, to ask for assistance in tracking. She came up with the concept, engineered the rough concept, put together the payload package, so she certainly has engineering chops. In short, she's already working the way that engineers and scientists work these days--as part of a team. Pretty impressive, especially for a 16 year old. Especially for something which was just a fun little prank, not a term project.</p>

<p>That is so cool. I particularly like the comment on the site that says ... </p>

<p>"Welcome to MIT. You are not going away to college, you are coming home!"</p>

<p>This girl will be right at home at MIT. It is wonderful to see how many people are supportive of her and celebrating her success. It takes a village to raise a child and when the child is very bright like this one you know she had alot of support and good people in her life. That's what its all about!</p>

<p>thanks Slithey, but I don't think you did any schooling. Asking for help and borrowing someone else's stuff doesn't seem that impressive to me, but maybe it does to you, and that's fine. Neither does "coming up with the concept" of something that has been done hundreds or thousands of times before. If I came up with the concept of a car, would you be impressed?</p>

<p>At least this is better than the kids that win those national science competitions that have no idea what they are doing and win because some PhDs did their experiments for them.</p>

<p>I hope she had fun on her project. That's what it's about, IMO.</p>

<p>I'd think it was cool....except its been done sooo many times already quite recently. Just search youtube. Who hast' seen this already the past few months? There is nothing original here, and with the help of her team, the technology to do so isn't even awesome.</p>

<p>Do you mean she was copycatting? Did she go in so much trouble just to copy something cool that others already did?</p>

<p>soccerguy, why yes, I'd be pretty impressed if 16 year old you came up with the concept of a project where you could build your own car, and then did so with the help of some local machine shop geeks. Have at it!</p>