MIT Graduate school of engineering; Carnegie Mellon Graduate school of engineering

<p>Hi Im 19 years old and currently a freshman undergraduate at an accredited Devry University (not technical institute) in Illinois, and I currently have a 4.0 GPA and am pursuing my bachelor's in computer/electrical engineering. The program is for 3 years to earn your bachelors and the school functions by trimester. I was thinking about applying for undergraduate transfer to MIT or Carnegie Mellon but I have decided to I guess try and sign up for Graduate school of engineering in whichever of these schools I get accepted to. The problem is the money, is it possible to get a full ride if not up to $10,000 a year in scholarship (not including grants/loans just a scholarship)? Also, would they even consider a Devry student? Besides a 4.0 GPA what else would I need to adapt to while I am still a freshman to keep alive the possibility of gaining access to the world's number one school for engineering (or in this case top 2 schools counting CMU)?</p>

<p>Graduate school admissions and funding depends on a number of factors: undergrad GPA, GRE scores, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, relevant work/research/publications. In an STEM field, if you are not good enough to receive full funding for a Ph.D. program, you aren't good enough to get a job as a Ph.D. after completing that degree. Funding for an M.S. or M. Eng. is less likely, but will depend on the program that accepts you.</p>

<p>The faculty at your current university know which of their former students have been admitted to graduate programs at different universities in recent years, and they know what GPA and experiences those students had while still undergraduates. Make an appointment with your advisor to talk about getting ready for grad school. He/she will have ideas for you.</p>

<p>Wishing you all the best.</p>

<p>Your other alternative is to find a less well known engineering school (many of the state universities for example) which may give assistantship or have some reserach funding and get a masters. This will help get a reserach experience and good recommendations and then go on to MIT or such for your PhD. You have to remember the graduate programs at MIT/CMU are very competitive and you will up against students who have published papers, presented at conferences, and have done advanced graduate level course work at the undergraduate level.</p>

<p>Also, there many other good schools in engineering comparable and in many fields better than MIT/CMU such as Stanford, Caltech, Berkeley etc. </p>

<p>You may want to read this article by a CMU Professor on "*Advice on Applying to Ph.D. Programs in Computer Science <a href="pdf">/I</a>"</p>

<p><a href="http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/%7Eharchol/gradschooltalk.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/%7Eharchol/gradschooltalk.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>As others here have noted, funding is not usually a problem in engineering. The vast majority of engineering graduate students are supported by either an assistantship (requiring some teaching/research commitment) or fellowship (care-free), either of which pay your tuition plus a stipend on which to live.</p>

<p>Your bigger issue is Devry. The schools at which you are looking get a ton of applicants with stellar GPA's from top-flight schools, and coming from a school like Devry means you have that much more ground to make up to be competitive.</p>

<p>Suggestions:
(1) Transfer to a better school. U of I is in your state and is a top-5 school for EECS, and is comparatively cheap for instate students. If you are getting a 4.0 gpa at a low-level school you can transfer to something better. Aim for a state school - MIT and CMU will probably not be interested in a Devry transfer.</p>

<p>(2) Keep up that gpa, no matter where you are. That will get harder as you get into your top-level courses, which are the grades most important to grad admissions.</p>

<p>(3) Get involved in research early and keep it going all the way through your senior year - I suspect this may be difficult to impossible at Devry, and is one of the most important factors in admissions.</p>

<p>Troll post?</p>

<p>Yeah Stanford I was looking at as well. You are all right, especially Cosmic Fish because it is true that DeVry has made an incredibly low name for itself and I might consider transferring to U of I at Champaigne, being familiar that it is one of the top 5 univ. for engineering. But, I would have to worry about the transfer credits and more importantly the money, the financial aid might not cover everything. Although I am thinking about applying for the department of homeland security scholarship for undergrads next year since this year was closed, not sure how that works but ill find out.
And you are right, if I maintained a 4.0 gpa throughout all my freshman and quarter of my sophomore year now at a school like Devry, it shouldn't be a pain to maintain that GPA in these other schools like U of I. Also, I know I need to participate in research groups, which I am dying to do but can't since DeVry doesnt offer that type of stuff, which sucks might I add. Northeastern Illinois University is close by me, but it does not have EE, which is what I am advanced in so it wouldn't make sense to go there. I will figure out and see what credits are transferable to U of I. I will ask the Devry faculty as well to see what experiences they've had with students who continued on to grad school. The problem with transfering from Sophmore through Junior level is that I will need to present my crappy HS transcript as well as my crappy ACT score which didnt make it to the 23 mark. And I dont think I am able to retake ACT and I havent even taken the SAT's. This is all alot of trouble to go through so I guess I will end up getting a job somewhere with a BS. Eh wth I guess Ill forget about it, its just not realistic, so screw it but thanks again guys.</p>

<p>so it was MIT, CMU or nothing? sounds like you were definitely in it for the right reasons...</p>

<p>It was MIT, CMU, or Stanford for grad school. But now I changed my mind again, I was just discouraged. DeVry is somewhat better than just regular CC so if I can maintain my 4.0-3.9 gpa for sophomore year as well, then I can try and apply for junior transfer to U of I at champaign and do good on the SAT II tests. Do alot of research there, and try out for a 4.0 which would be something of a challenge but nothing I can't handle, and do real good on the GRE's and hopefully go on to anyone of these 3 schools. We'll see.</p>

<p>I think it's unlikely that anyone would get into a T75 MS/PhD program coming from Devry.
Transfer to UIUC as soon as you can, on the other hand, and you have a decent chance at any T20 school if you can keep up your performance.</p>

<p>
[quote]
You may want to read this article by a CMU Professor on "Advice on Applying to Ph.D. Programs in Computer Science (pdf)"</p>

<p><a href="http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/%7Eharchol/gradschooltalk.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/%7Eharchol/gradschooltalk.pdf&lt;/a>

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I few comments about this write-up from CMU. </p>

<p>-He is dead-on for the working independently thing. After working in the corporate world as an engineer, it is amazing the freedom they gave you to work independently, decide your own problem, etc. This will be hard for a lot of people, and would have been hard for me without some experience. I'm happy with it so far though. </p>

<p>-CMU is really good about funding. Many engineering programs are not so good....yes PhD's in engineering really do pay tuition sometimes, and this doesn't mean the school doesn't want you, doesn't trust you, or you are less likely to suceed. It usually just means the school ran out or money.</p>

<p>It is very unlikely that someone from Devry go on to get a master's in a top grad school, so I am deciding on transferring in my junior year, not my sophomore year because I did poorly in high school. They put more emphasis on your high school record when transferring as a sophomore. And I don't understand what you mean by tier 20 or 75 etc. lol but then again if it is too much of a hassle to transfer to uiuc then I would just give in and graduate with my bachelor's from devry and leave it at that. When at Devry I have a hell of a lot of time to perfect a variety of things like cryptology, programming, and network security and not focus just my major. I can just stay underground like I have been doing with my knowledge and not flash it in a grad school, I might just be one of those guys.</p>