MLM Good or Bad?

<p>MLM, aka Multi Level Marketing. I have been approached by friends or families many times to join, but I have been hesitating. What are your experiences in those? Is it worth the efforts to join?</p>

<p>My understanding is that once you are in, you have to buy the products from the systems and end up some useless things while not making much money as intended. There are many famous ones out there, Topperware, MaryK, Avon, Amway, Juice, Anti Oxydent(?spell)... Now comes Mortgage Broker, Insurance Brokers etc.</p>

<p>The most recent deal is the Life Insurance MLM.</p>

<p>What are your thoughts?</p>

<p>How is mortgage broker or insurance broker going to work?</p>

<p>
[quote]
How is mortgage broker or insurance broker going to work?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Simply put, a downline gives up part of the commission on the sale in exchange of upline and company support and the opportunity to recruit your own downline in multi-level fashion.</p>

<p>Ok.... Are there going to be parties at people's homes? What are you getting upline? And how do you deal with customers? And I take it you make your money by recruiting people who do the selling..</p>

<p>If you are getting your money be recruiting....you want to be one of the founders....or at least one of the early sales people.....you can form a really nice pyramid underneath you.....Without paying a lot to people above you..</p>

<p>This is based on my knowledge of one or two companies....your mileage may vary....</p>

<p>MLM is mostly a way for a company to sell overpriced products through promises that rarely come through (wealth for the seller), and guilt-selling to family and friends who buy the overpriced products only because they're doing it as a favor to the seller, their relative. There's no way I'd participate in it.</p>

<p>I wholly agree with GladGradDad. I do know someone successful at Tupperware sales, but that's not the same as MLM.</p>

<p>Tupperware is one thing- selling real estate or insurance or any other highly regulated business is another.
this is one "business opportunity" I would walk away from......</p>

<p>Bad. 10 char</p>

<p>Now a days, the MLM's are more sophisticated. They rent large offices and have formal presentations and trainings. They also have conventions in resort hotels that often times with 300-400 attendents from all over the USA. For insurance and real estate products, each participants must be licensed, so to avoid regulartory issues. Also, they do not recruit just the "warm body" but they recruit sales professionals. Product they sell are high priced items, insurance and annuity and others are some of the examples.</p>

<p>"Product they sell are high priced items, insurance and annuity and others are some of the examples. "</p>

<p>Ask yourself- Why would someone, especially a wealthy client, buy a high priced annuity, or insurance, etc, etc from a MLM agent rather than directly from an insurance company?</p>

<p>and you said yourself, you have to buy the products- so would you buy them ?</p>

<p>I'm not a fan simply because I'm sick of being badgered to join these things! Sorry folks, but I am not all that social to begin with, already have enough going on in my life, and I'm not trading on the relationships I care about by introducing this type of business into the mix...unfortunately, they never seem to take no for an answer the first time!</p>

<p>I think they exploit people--the folks who are hoping to get to a higher tier so they can have people giving them a share of the commission and the people whom are being badgered to buy over-priced products so that all the folks in the chain can get commissions from these over-priced items.</p>

<p>I feel it is VERY BAD and stay as far from it as I can.</p>

<p>If one wants to be in the insurance & annuity business it is far better to sell the top industry products to business clients rather than pressuring friends & family to buy something overpriced and not in their best interests just to benefit you. One would probably make better commissions on the industry standards than on some strangely created product with numerous uplines. There are uplines & marketing groups in the insurance industry, and there are bonuses based on the group's sales, but it's usually based on independent brokers who can sell the best product for the client.</p>

<p>Watch out for these on college campuses. I have one child who was solicited by two different friends for two different products. Those college kids who paint houses was one. The other was a discount card for dental care. One was a poor kid whose mother didn't care when I notified her - in fact, she had the kid start soliciting me. He was very good - or I should say, very well trained. When he wouldn't go away, was calling and emailing and had gotten $50 from my kid, I reported him to the campus authorities.</p>

<p>I was first exposed to one of these in high school, and they have been everywhere and always in my life. Never got involved.</p>

<p>I don't know if Cutco (cutlery) is considered an "MLM" company, but the strategy is similar. A nice young woman (a local girl who knew my son) came to our house with samples. She was using her earnings to pay for college. This impressed my wife.</p>

<p>The products we got are overpriced junk. Stamped metal (not forged) with plastic handles. The mail-in sharpening policy is a gimmick. Who wants to send kitchen knives away to be sharpened? </p>

<p>High quality, fairly priced products are not marketed this way.</p>

<p>If you would otherwise buy the products because you actually like them, it may make sense for you because there could be some kind of discount. But to be perfectly honest, the whole strategy has never made sense to me. If you are to recruit people, and they are to recruit people, and they are to recruit people, who exactly is going to sell the product, and will there even be anyone left to sell it to once that gigantic series of levels is set up?</p>

<p>To me, it's a legal ponzi scheme, where they teach young people to prey on those nearest & dearest to buy over-priced items to fatten the wallets of everyone up the chain. The young people never get the fabulous rewards dangled in front of them because they never get very far up the chain but keep trying. Personally, I hate it and refuse to participate.</p>

<p>I sold Pampered Chef products for 15 years. I made more doing that then I am now making at a part time job. I stopped it when it stopped being enjoyable. I did have a considerable down-line. I loved the products, thought they were well priced and that the company had a lot of integrity. It was the right thing for me to do at that time of my life. </p>

<p>There are many different MLM companies out there and I would not jump in without a lot of research.</p>

<p>I hate these and do not like my friends inviting me to umpteen parties to guilt me into buying something. Just say no. I no longer attend these events and would never sell a MLM prosit. I know several people who have tons of product they bought so they could sell to others. they ended up with a garage full of stuff.</p>