most powerful ECs

<p>What do you guys think are the top ECs out there? Of course there's no exact answer... but in your opinion, what single thing will make you stand out? i.e. ntl debate champion, varsity team captain etc etc</p>

<p>Personally, I think student government is most powerful.. Especially officer positions such as being class president.</p>

<p>what do you all think?</p>

<p>Very few colleges factor ECs into admission. The ones that do are places like Harvard that use ECs to pick and choose from among an overabundance of high stat applicants to create a diverse, active, well rounded student body.</p>

<p>For colleges like that, applicants who are class presidents are a dime a dozen.</p>

<p>Things that stand out in such an outstanding pool include being: governor of Boys State or Girls State, a top national officer of National Honor Society or any other national organization; a professional actor who has had a leading role in a popular film; an Olympic athlete or national record holder in an individual sport; a prodigy musician who tours the world giving concerts; organizing a major fundraiser or program with a local charity such as getting high schools in your city to band together to fund and build a Habitat for Humanity house; working 20+ hours a week throughout the school year and more during the summer to help support your low-income family.</p>

<p>Of course class presidents, National Honor Society officers, etc. still will be accepted to such colleges, but having such offices isn't going to make their admissions officers' jaws drop.</p>

<p>First off what everyone on here will respond is that any EC is the most powerful, as long as you are "passionate" about it. Which is largely true, if you spend enough time doing any activity, it will look better than the "more powerful" EC's. </p>

<p>As to student government, I actually think generally that is one of the weaker EC's, unless you are very very active with it and have made a significant contribution. EC's like debate, sports, and quiz bowls are easier to show actual passion, simply win awards, but with Student government, there is no solid line for success. Which brings me to my second point, Student Government is largely, if not overwhelmingly a popularity contest. I don't think I have ever even heard of a school where actual "policy" determines who a person votes for, I am guilty of it too, I vote for my friends, even if they won't necessarily "do" something. </p>

<p>I guess in the end I would say that more "powerful" EC's are the ones where there is a definite measure of success and a quantifiable way of seeing passion i.e Best Actor in a play, winning a poetry contest. Now of course things like student government are equally as powerful but only if there is an effort above and beyond.</p>

<p>You're going to want to stand out outside of your high school. For every high school there's a class president, so you need to become a leader in school and in your community.</p>

<p>I don't think that being the president of National Honor Society, or your Class really means anything if you aren't passionate about it.</p>

<p>When listing an EC, think about what you've done in that specific club/activity that demonstrates your perserverance these past 4 years.</p>

<p>I do MUN, which by itself is a very humdrum activity, but the way I'm able to portray the intensity with which I handle my MUN Conferences in writing is what makes me, in my perspective, stand out.</p>

<p>Just think about it for a while:)</p>

<p>Post #5 is true. For the relatively few colleges that factor ECs into admissions, what you accomplish in your activity is far more important than what office you hold. Those colleges know that many students hold impressive sounding offices, but do nothing with their positions.</p>

<p>
[quote]
What do you guys think are the top ECs out there?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>'Top' ECs? You can't rank EC's like you can colleges or test scores. An EC stands out, regardless of what it is, if one is passionate about it and successful at it, usually oustandingly so.</p>

<p>Any EC can be either impressive or dismissive to adcoms at top schools. If you win on a national level in a particular varsity sport, you're going to gather much attention. If you go to the NFL Nationals tournament in Speech or Debate and perform well, you're going to get an extra look. If you are elected to a national office in FBLA, or qualify for USAMO, or become an Intel finalist, your respective EC's will stand out. An EC's power lies within what one decides to do with it, not within the activity itself.</p>

<p>The ones no one else does.</p>

<p>Colleges pick students based on a number of factors, including EC. In the ideal world, students would be picking ECs based on their interests, not in order to impress colleges.</p>

<p>Eagle Scout</p>

<p>Eagle Scout can be nice, but it still depends on the project. Some students' projects aren't impressive at all. </p>

<p>And Eagle Scout (as one can tell by the thread about this on Parents Forum) isn't a hook at top colleges. It's a nice EC, but won't automatically tip a student in.</p>

<p>Personally I think that only the most remarkable of ECs matter - i.e., something that has the words "National Champion", "Olympian" (not Science) or "Cured Cancer" in the title. Otherwise I think ECs only exist to prove that you as a candidate are more than some bookworm shut-in. As NSM said, the vast majority of schools don't look at or care about your ECs, the ones that do have applicant pools that are filled with "National-Honor-Society-Eagle-Scouts-Who-volunteer-at-nursing-homes-reading-to-the-blind" types. </p>

<p>I think that National Honor Society no longer holds the power it once did. A number of schools no longer have it and others only allow for it during senior year thereby making it an uneven measure. Furthermore, now that some schools have multiple valedictorians I just feel that the designation has been cheapened. To a lesser degree the same is true for Eagle Scout; it is still a phenomenal achievement but I've met my share who seemed more committed to slogging through it to get the designation than having any true sense of commitment to the title.</p>

<p>The most powerful EC is the one you care about the most. It's the one you take on and put your own imprint on, maybe that's student government, maybe its playing in a youth symphony, regardless it's about you recognizing your own talents and exploiting them not for your own benefit for the benefit of those around you.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The most powerful EC is the one you care about the most. It's the one you take on and put your own imprint on, maybe that's student government, maybe its playing in a youth symphony, regardless it's about you recognizing your own talents and exploiting them not for your own benefit for the benefit of those around you.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>It's also important to remember, though, that national achievement isn't required to show that you're passionate about an EC. For example, take me: debate is by far my favorite activity. I'm captain of my team, I was runner-up at state this year in Lincoln-Douglas, and I have achieved a Superior Distinction level in NFL Points. Although I never went to Nationals or to another impressive tournament (ToC, Harvard, Stanford, etc.), I believe that, if I go into detail about it, it will help substantially, although certainly not enough to make a huge difference.</p>

<p>It seems to me that there are several things that will make an EC stand out. The very best would have a combination of these:
1. Demonstrable significant accomplishments by you personally (being a top individual athlete is better than being a member of a winning team, for example).
2. Accomplishments in which you are evaluated by a third party, ideally outside of your school (winning prizes, being admitted to competitive programs).
3. Something interesting or unusual: Being an award-winning harmonica player might be more interesting than being an award-winning piano player--unless it's a big piano award.
4. Something that shows positive personal traits--like leadership, or perseverence, or altruism. (Eagle Scout might fit here, or a community service EC.)</p>

<p>So, the ultimate EC might be to win a major prize in recognition of your achievement in carrying out an unusual public service project.</p>

<p>stocker, are you the class president? :P</p>

<p>At my school, SGA is a popularity/bribery contest. The posters above me pretty much summed it up--what matters is the impact you've made and the accomplishments you've earned through the EC...not the specific nature of the acitivity. As Redroses and Hunt pointed out, uniqueness will always be a plus.</p>

<p>Academy award nominee
Olympic medalist</p>

<p>Don't be all random in your EC's. Make them something that is enjoyable to you and is relevant.</p>

<p>Enjoyable because: You honestly do not want to do something just because it would "look good for college." In 10th grade, I joined a school club that I really didn't care much about because I thought that it would round me out (I'm a very right-brained English person and this was a science club). However, I was not too enthused about it, so I dropped it. It is better to join something that you enjoy because you will be more dedicated. Plus, when someone does an activity just to look impressive, it usually comes off as snobby or fake. </p>

<p>So seriously, if you enjoy Asian poetry, do that. If you enjoy music, do that. If you enjoy doing robotics, do that. Don't try to impress colleges by being fake.</p>

<p>Relevant: Make your EC's relevant to you and your future plans. If you want to do something medical, try to be a candy striper at the local hospital or something like that. For example, I want to study to be an English teacher, some of my EC's are:
Teacher part- I have been tutoring since 8th grade.
English part- Involved member of school's Poetry Club and will run for office next year. I also volunteer in my school library and church library. </p>

<p>Relevance, passion, and dedication will make your EC's more powerful.</p>