Muhlenberg and the ADD student

<p>My son (junior in HS) wants to study biochemistry at Muhlenberg. I have no concerns about his intellectual capabilities, but I am worried about his time management abilities and study skills. Does anyone know how good Muhlenberg is with respect to support services for these types of issues? He is also looking at Dickinson, Gettysburg, Juniata, Bucknell and Susquehanna. All of these schools claim to have support services but are they any good and are there enough resources to meet the demand?</p>

<p>I do not know about Muhlenberg, but have had DS's that had similar issues. Even attending a school known for their support, if they do not know when and how to ask for help it is useless. The school will not search him out unless he fails. If he is a HS junior now, it is key that you get him the support he needs to learn how to manage on his own and self advocate when he needs it. You won't be there to see when the issues are developing. He needs to learn to self diagnose and seek help. Hard for our S's to do sometimes.</p>

<p>My D says that many students get extra time for testing, and other accomodations, so your child would not be alone.</p>

<p>The small class size, and close interaction with profs would be another good thing for your son. The new science buidling opened this year.</p>

<p>I am familiar with Susquehana, Dickinson and Gburg (not so much with Juniata) and am a Bucknell grad myself.
I would caution you to look at the Greek atmosphere/ drinking atmosphere at these schools. M'berg has an advantage because they have a much smaller number of frats, and your son might be less likely to get sucked into that scene which is prevalent at the other schools. </p>

<p>While the small school might seem nurturing at first, it can also be difficult to find a social niche, and the location doesn't offer much to do. </p>

<p>M'berg positions itself as the "caring " college, and I can testify that this is more than marketing; M'berg has been extremely responsive.</p>

<p>Juniata is very good in sciences. Unlike the other institutions noted, the vast majority of students graduate with BS (in one of the sciences) vs. BA. This is both good and bad as the early chem and bio classes tend to be larger and are often wash out classes. As a Brethren school, there is historical tension of being from the plain folks who historically didn't believe in high school let alone higher ed ... thus there are only6 or 7 of them nationally, none ofwhich is notable on the big scene. </p>

<p>Juniata is small,1200 or so, in a dying industrial/rail community, and has lots of fac student interaction. Environmental science is also good. Lots of leftover 60 hippy dippy types and current wannabes. A great many faculty were stunned that Gore didn't win in a landslide. Nice, neat campus, good hard science facilities. Tons of aid ... they need to give it to get better students. Worth a look if your student likes. While not many, they really support and encourage the few foreign students. There is a "peace studies" program which is revealing. 45 miles from PSU, and on a snowy winter's day, might as well be 1,000. Can't get over the ridge from one to other.</p>

<p>Night and day student cultures from the other institutions noted.</p>

<p>Have a look at the Muhlenberg Academic Resource Center, with a staff of 6:</p>

<p>Academic</a> Resource Center</p>

<p>There's also a separate office of disability services that has some specific info about support and accommodations for students with various disabilities:</p>

<p>Muhlenberg</a> College Disability Services</p>

<p>And a special advising program:</p>

<p>Muhlenberg</a> College Disability Services</p>

<p>It sounds like they've really got a strong support structure in place, and the web pages will provide contact information for people who can give you detailed info.</p>