https://www.science.org/content/article/why-so-many-college-students-are-coming-down-mumps
However, vaccine recommendations and college vaccination requirements do not appear to have taken waning mumps immunity into account yet.
https://www.science.org/content/article/why-so-many-college-students-are-coming-down-mumps
However, vaccine recommendations and college vaccination requirements do not appear to have taken waning mumps immunity into account yet.
When measles started to make a comeback, I wondered if mumps would follow soon after. Then I saw that there was an outbreak of mumps at a university in California. Apparently there was also one at Harvard a few years ago.
This is not good. I know this can be serious at least for adult men (I am not sure regarding anyone else, but avoiding it seems like a good idea for everyone).
I wonder how many of the students getting mumps now were vaccinated as a child, versus were never vaccinated.
Certainly current recommendations do not appear to take waning immunity into account.
I don’t think waning immunity was as much of a concern before herd immunity was negatively impacted. This is relatively recent. However, in the current environment, I don’t know if vaccine guidance will be updated accordingly.