Music graduate funding for MM and/or DMA degree (int'l jazz guitarist, Europe)

Hello!

I am interested in pursuing a graduate degree at a US school. I am an international jazz guitarist from Europe. I would be interested if anybody has any first hand knowledge about Music Graduate funding at any US uni ? I am interested in both MM and DMA. From what I understand DMA usually has more funding, but not all schools offer a DMA in Jazz so I am also considering a MM. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my message!

Are you able to come here for auditions? Or can you make plans to audition here?

Why do you want to get your performance degree here in the U.S.

What do you plan to do when you graduate. You very likely will be required to return to your home country.

Re finding…most funding for these programs is based on the strength of your audition relative to others auditioning on jazz guitar.

Are you looking for a full free ride…or what?

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to attend a live audition. Yes for the most part I’m looking for a full ride so I’m looking for schools that have assistantships available for graduate students or fellowships or other means of funding.

I am hoping the current music majors can chime in (no pun intended). I think it’s highly unlikely that you will receive full funding for a masters or DMA in jazz guitar. But maybe I’m wrong.

Nearly all DMA students at U.Michigan receive full-tuition fellowships, according to the website. I’m sure that there are other comparable DMA programs in the U.S. offering similar funding & benefits.

Doctor of Musical Arts in Jazz & Contemporary Improvisation (University of Michigan - Ann Arbor)

1 Like

How will this student pay for room, board, transportation, health insurance, purchase or download of music, other expenses?

@OnAClearDay you need to consider the full cost of attendance.

2 Likes

I think OnAClearDay is somewhat aware that options are limited. Of the universities that offer the DMA, only some of them offer a track in Jazz & only a few of those offer full fellowships & stipends. And some programs only admit new students irregularly every few years. OnAClearDay would need to consult current graduate students in each program of interest.

I started this topic for people that have had first hand experience with graduate music funding either actual students/ex students or parents if they want to offer their help with info. There are many universities that offer full tuition remission plus stipends like Frost, Michigain, UNT etc. I have done my research quite in depth but there is also info to get from people that actually went to graduate school, like how many positions are usually available, how livable is the stipend in the particular cities etc.

Thank you for your comment! Yes thats kinda my plan to maybe get some inside info from people here that actually got to grad school in music. Any program would be still very relevant info but of course jazz in particular.

1 Like

I do have relevant experience. One of our kids is a professional musician with a masters in music performance.

Good that you are thinking about all of the costs.

2 Likes

You’re welcome! I did come across this website yesterday. I didn’t post it while waiting for a current or former music graduate student or professional to provide comment. It covers both PhD & DMA degree programs; I wouldn’t be qualified to discuss any similarities or differences between the two types of degrees. It is over four years outdated.

Fully Funded PhD Programs in Music (Last Updated 8/28/2022)

UNT…amazing jazz program. My son did undergrad work there. They have both MM and DMA in jazz. Davy Mooney is an amazing instructor, as is the entire department. Look up the One O’Clock Lab band videos for reference, my son was their guitarist last year before leaving.

Also they have MANY international students and tuition is one of the best around!

thank you very much, I will look over this link, seems like this website offers lots of info!

1 Like

thank you for your answer! i have heard of One O’Clock Lab band, congrats to your son for making it there! May I ask if you know anything about how grad school works there? if threre are usually many assistantships?

I wish I could answer that but I dont know. What I do know is that many of the MM and DMA students run lab bands with the exception of the 1,2,3 OClock, Jazz Singers and Latin jazz. Also, he had many teaching assistants in his classes. I’m just not sure how it all works. They are super responsive so I would reach out to Joel Wiley, he is in Admissions. I believe he was an upper level student there as well. My son’s undergrad tuition was grossly less than the value of his education! And far less than any other school we visited. This just happened to be his first choice from the get go. Good luck! Most of his friends are moving onto grad school or have jobs!