My Books, Films, Newspapers

<p>Do you think these are good lists: What do you think they say about me?</p>

<p>Books: Cheese Monkeys, Wicked, A Heartbreaking Work of StaggeringGenius, The Lovely Bones, How to Be Good, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, Memoirs of a Geisha, Harry Potter 5, The Da Vinci Code </p>

<p>Required readigns: Pride and Prejudice, The Catcher in the Rye, The age of Innocence, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Great Gatsby, Scarlett Letter, The Awakening, Gulliver's Travels</p>

<p>Newspapers and Magazines:Entertainment Weekly, US Weekly, The Sun-Sentinel, USA Today, The Chicago Sun-Times (Roger Ebert's reviews)</p>

<p>Films:Spellbound, In America, The House of Sand and Fog, Cold Mountain, Saved!, Mean Girls, Garden State, Monster, Mystic River, Kill Bill,Spiderman 2</p>

<p>It seems to me like you're lumping every single major required reading in there. That makes the question pretty much meaningless, I think.</p>

<p>Do you like any books or movies that didn't come out within the last five years? Being hip with the times is nice, but I think it's important to be aware of one's roots--lest we become, to quote Guy Debord, "faced with an endless procession of spectacles which refer to a past that has nowhere been recorded."</p>

<p>the question says to list films..... you enjoyed most in the last year. So that is what I did.
I understand what you are saying about the required reading list and think I will shorten it, but what do you think about my other lists:</p>

<p>I tried to show diversity, for example how i could read really popular books like harry potter and the da vinci code and also less known onles like cheese monekys, or a heartbreaking work of staggerign genius. Same for films, i can enjoy big, action flicks like kill bill or spiderman, but i also really like smaller more independent films like spellbound, in america, saved.....</p>

<p>Don't you see?</p>

<p>"It seems to me like you're lumping every single major required reading in there. That makes the question pretty much meaningless, I think."</p>

<p>I agree very much with that statement made by antisthenes. And doesn't the question asks you to list WITHIN the past year? NOT your entire high school years?
...Unless you really did read those required reading in one year. Then I guess it's ok.</p>

<p>You don't want to overwhelm them =)</p>

<p>I did read those within the last year, all in 11 AP and so far in 12 AP, but...besides the required reading list, what do you think it says about me?</p>

<p>I think admissions counselors are quite familiar with high school required reading lists. That's not why they ask the question.</p>

<p>I think which of the readings you liked best can show a whole lot about you. A certain kind of people tend to deeply identify with "Catcher in the Rye," for example, and a generally completely different set of people internalize "Pride and Prejudice."</p>

<p>I KNOW, I KNOW- I'm going to change that required reading one, its the one I was always apprehensive about. What do you think the OTHER lists say about me.</p>

<p>( oh and btw, pride and prejudice and the catcher in the rye were prob. my two favorite)</p>

<p>Well antisthenes, alot of my selections for required readings aren't really from traditional reading lists. They're mostly from like independent reading assignments or assignments where we were given a broad choice of books to read:</p>

<p>Don Quixote, Interpreter of Maladies (Jhumpa Lahiri), The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Lattitudes and Longitudes (Tom Friedman), three Kurt Vonnegut novels for a research project</p>

<p>Howsat?</p>

<p>EDIT: Don't comment on the required reading list anymore. Look at the others please, I understand what you're saying about not listing all of them for the required. But I want to know what do the others say about me? And I didn't list movies made earleir than 5 years ago because this is movies youve seen in the last year, so i listed all new ones.</p>

<p>You just listed like pretty much every movie the typical moviegoer your age has watched in the past year. If I were you, I'd cut the list shorter and just put movies you really really enjoyed. </p>

<p>Also, are there any non-film performances/festivals/entertainments/exhibits that are worth listing?</p>

<p>I'm not trying to set myself up as an expert here, franklinbrown. I know as much as you do.</p>

<p>I think that as long as you stick with these two criteria:
1) You had to do them for school
2) You identified with them on a more or less profound level
you'll be answering the question as it's supposed to be answered.</p>

<p>For the required readings, I shortened it to this; these were the ones I enjoyed.</p>

<p>Pride and Prejudice, The age of innocence, Catcher in the rye, The adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The invisible man</p>

<p>Oh man...online they only allow to list three</p>

<p>My choices for required:</p>

<p>Brave New World
The Jungle
The Great Gatsby</p>

<p>Franklin your required reading is almost like my enjoyed readings =)
autobio of malcom x</p>

<p>No, they don't. You can put more than 3. I did it online. you just put commas after each item, it says specifically that you can do that.</p>

<p>Yeah Del, most of my "required" readings are books that I really wanted to read for pleasure so just used an independent reading as an excuse to read.</p>

<p>brave new world was the bomb...(when was the last time you heard someone say "the bomb?")</p>

<p>somebody said it at 8:38 p.m. =)</p>

<p>jeez freakish, thanks for telling me that NOW, haha. nah i think 3 was enough for me.</p>