I had surgery 7 months ago, for a bunion, but more so for the big toe bony knob pushing up. I had the same surgery 8 years ago on the other foot and was just about back to normal at 4 months. So I know how this should be proceeding.
The ball of my foot keeps swelling and is not normal. I got bursitis over by my pinkie toe, probably from my gait. That has been resolved with 2 rounds of 6-pack steroids. I have to be mindful of how I’m walking. Twice I thought I was healing and went for 15 minute stroll. The next day the ball of my foot was painful and swollen.
I’m having an MRI next week, and am concerned. What makes me irritated is I had to push for the MRI. Why? Why wouldn’t the surgeon want to know? Is it because she thinks she’s done something wrong? She’s not the one who did the last one. He returned in December and she was in his practice and he said she was good,
This is not normal residual swelling. Besides venting , I’m hoping someone might have gone through something like this and can give advice.
I haven’t taken a real walk in almost a year. I’m getting scared and a little depressed.
My mom had the same experience. One foot’s surgery went fabulous and the second, with the same surgeon, did not. My mom ended up having to have a corrective procedure on the second but she regretted it. She was never able to wear heels again and she wasn’t happy! That said, she was walking, dancing, etc… after the corrective surgery. I wish I could remember exactly what was necessary but it was a while ago and my mom isn’t around anymore to ask.
This is my fear, corrective surgery. I am a heels gal of all kinds. But it’s is hard not being able to walk. And I want to travel. But cas many if you know I love fashion and that includes footwear. I think it is very depressing and wish I had never had it done.
also, if your mom was not able to walk without the 2nd surgery, why does she wish she hadn’t had it?
My mom was a like you - a total fashionista and loved loved her shoes. It killed her to not be able to wear heels again and that’s why she had the correction. I remember at the time she felt like she would have been able to go back to walking without pain with more time, sans surgery, but that was a guess on her part so who really knows.
Ok, I understand now. She was walking with pain, but felt if she had given it more time it would have self -corrected. Thats such a hard decision to make.
My D26 had bunion surgery in mid-Feb of this year. Had to stay totally off the foot for about 10 weeks. By late June, she said she finally felt more back to normal. Everybody’s healing process can vary, of course. But if it’s been a year and it’s still not going well AND if your current podiatrist is giving you the run around, I’d go to a different podiatrist and get a 2nd opinion.
It’s even 7 months. I am very ready to get an MRI. My husband wants he to go get another opinion now, but I need MRI first and see what she says. I definitely will go to another doctor if need be.
Sorry you’re going through this. Question is do you have gout or similar? I am traveling so sorry for the delay. Has she tried other thing’s for the swelling? Long term swelling I would be thinking of bone infection. Also what type of bunion surgery did you have? Screws /plates.
Any vascular issues?
I assume you followed their instructions to the “T” also. Wearing the boot or shoe with every step for X period of time?
If nothing shows on the MRI then PT. Did you do any at any point?
We mostly had good results over like 38 year’s. But there is always that patient or two that you wonder why they aren’t doing as well as their first surgery.
I wish you the best and reach out anytime if I can be helpful.
Mri have to be certified and have to have a reason. Unknown pain isn’t one of them. Usually xrays or diagnostic ultrasound can be used. I wouldn’t be using steroids post surgery if there is still an issue unless I am not understanding. That will only delay healing. I would normally take an x-ray series and most times can figure it out from there. Good luck and would like to know the results. Did they do any blood work?
Thank you very much chiming in when you are busy today! I think I’ll have more questions once the MRI is done. I did Chatgpt what it shows and got back lots of info. To answer your questions.
I looked up the surgery and it said “correction of bunion with alignment correction midfoot bone toward toe area”. I had a small/moderate bunion at wasn’t really bothering me. It was more the bony knob sticking up. I had it on the other foot too. They broke the bone, placed it and put in a temporary pin where the head jutted out of my foot at the base of the big toe. It was always wrapped the first month.
No vascular issues, no gout
Followed instructions perfectly
She’s done 2 X-rays which shows it fine as far as the bones
I asked first PT in July and they actually made it worse. I was very detailed as to my issues. I quit after 5 sessions. I ChatGPT my issues and what they did is exactly what not do, like up and down stand on the balls of my foot. Raise my toes up and spread them. Massage that area. I felt like cattle in there. They set me back a month
Steroids helped very much, ball of my feet and the bursitis. I thought that was all I needed. But then it starts again.
Will the MRI show bone infection. My bones don’t hurt. How long would you have a patient wait before doing something drastic corrective surgery? Have you ever done one and are they successful. I can’t believe I’m “that patient” with issues. I imagine I’ll have more questions in a couple weeks. I did ask her what the next step is if the MRI doesn’t show anything unusual and she said compression. I’m assuming wearing some sort of compression bandage. Thanks again very much!
Chatgpt is crap. Use open evidence or similar. I am on a US medical advisory board for Heidi Health AI. I work behind the scenes in AI. I lecture through out the US on this for medicine.
But yes compression would be something that makes sense. Range of Motion, I start right away and have the patient do it after the first bandage change. So the toe joint doesn’t get stiff.
I am extremely picky on PTs. Lots don’t do lower extremity. But it all depends on how long after your surgery. Pin can mean screw.
Surgery is always an agreement between you and your doctor. It’s elective in this case. I have never forced a patient to sign a consent form. I don’t do surgery on patients with no pain. Plain and simple. I had (retired) a sports medicine injury practice. If you didn’t have pain you most likely wouldn’t be in my practice.
Did they do any conservative treatment prior? Anything like meds, orthotics, Injections?
If looking for a second opinion, I have patients use this directory. You have to be board certified to be on it. Please understand that being board certified doesn’t mean better in some cases but patients ask so this is what use.