- University of Pennsylvania
- Columbia University
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Duke University
- MIT
- Caltech
-UCLA
-UC Berkeley</p>

<p>The UC schools are my backups. I am most interested in Stanford, Cornell, Princeton, and Duke.</p>

<p>Education</p>

<p> GPA: 4.38, class ranking: 3rd out of approx. 500 at competitive public high school
 6 AP courses completed (Physics B, Statistics, Language and Composition, US History, European History, Psychology, with a 5 on every exam) as of the end of junior year, 5 more AP courses selected for senior year
 Standardized tests: SAT: 2360 (reading: 800, writing: 790, math: 770), SAT Physics Subject Test: 790, SAT Mathematics II Subject Test: 790, SAT U.S. History Subject Test: 790, PSAT: 231</p>

<p>School Activities</p>

<p> Math team: grades 6-present
 Academic team: grade 10
 Science Olympiad: grades 7, 10-present
 National Science Bowl state champion team: grade 11
 FIRST Robotics team: grade 11
 History club: grade 11
 Mu Alpha Theta: grade 11-present</p>

<p>Community Activities</p>

<p> Volunteer for Care Assurance System for the Aging and Homebound (CASA)—over 100 hours building wheelchair ramps and working in community garden: June 2011-present
 United Way Youth Leadership Council—5 hours of community service per month: October 2010-present
 Director of algebra II level for Math League: 2011-present, test writer and editor: 2008-present
 Helped school math team organize and run the annual Math Tournament, Junior Math Explorers camp, and Junior Math Mania competition: 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011
 Teaches young children reading skills at inner-city daycare: 2010-present
 Led classes in taekwondo for young children at two martial arts schools: 2007-2010</p>

<p>Achievements</p>

<p> National Merit scholarship semifinalist: 2011
 AP Scholar with Distinction: 2011
 Qualified for American Invitational Mathematics Examination (AIME): 2011
 Member of 1st place state Science Bowl team, competed at U.S. Department of Energy’s National Science Bowl: 2011
 Mu Alpha Theta national convention Theta division 13th place individual, 8th place team: 2010
 Statewide Mathematics Contest district level comprehensive division 2nd place individual: 2010
 Various Science Olympiad awards at both regional and state level: 2010, 2011
 2nd degree black belt in taekwondo, 6 years of training at American Taekwondo Association (ATA) and Yong In Martial Arts Academy schools, 3 years under World Taekwondo Federation Grandmaster and Korean national champion S.C. “Tiger” Kim
 Artwork has been displayed at an Arts Festival, local Museum of Art, and various local galleries</p>

<p>Essays: should be pretty good, but I doubt they stand out enough on their own to guarantee me admission</p>

<p>Recommendations: should be pretty good, but I doubt they stand out enough on their own to guarantee me admission</p>

<p>No other hooks, etc</p>

<p>IMPORTANT: I am a first generation immigrant, so English was not my first language. I speak fluent Chinese, but I cannot read or write it. Also, I have not taken any language courses in high school. How much will this hurt my chances, considering the rest of my resume?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help everyone!!</p>

<p>Great academics for these schools. But as a Chinese American student applying for Engineering... you're not very well-rounded. Too many kids fit your profile, and have even more outstanding academics and EC's. Also, the fact that you have not taken a language WILL hurt you. Most of these schools want to see at least 3 years of a foreign language. I'm surprised your school allows you to skip that requirement...</p>

<p>I honestly think with great essays you'll get in (on top of all your great test scores etc). I mean other than math you mention art displayed at museums which is an impressive achievement. @SoccerwolfP my school doesn't require a foreign language either to graduate. Beastxing, you know the engineering department says foreign language is only recommended. I can't honestly imagine the admission officers rejecting someone for engineering because they didn't take 3 years of Spanish/French etc.</p>