My first earthquake

<p>We had a 5.6 earthquake in Oklahoma last night. Our house rattled and shook for about 20-30 seconds. :eek: I didn't care for the experience. I just sat there like a log thinking "what the he11?" and got told off by my husband for not standing in a door frame (next time - hopefully never).</p>

<p>Probably doesn't sound like much to Californians - but hey we have tornadoes, we don't need earthquakes as well. Plus you have the ocean.</p>

<p>Next time, if there ever is a next time in OK, get under a sturdy table. Keeps things from falling on you.</p>

<p>Welcome to the club. Ditto on the sturdy table. I spent an agonizing minute under my dining room table once.....while I watched our piano hop to the other side of the room. The scariest thing about an earthquake (as opposed to a hurricane or a tornado) is that you have no warning whatsoever And you NEVER, EVER get used to the sound.</p>

<p>We drove through OK yesterday on our way home from Dallas. Missed the earthquake by a few hours. The last time we drove through OK together was last spring, and we missed the tornado that slammed Tushka, OK by a half-hour.</p>

<p>I had no idea OK was so exciting, weather-wise.</p>

<p>My son lives in San Francisco. I worry constantly about earthquakes as they relate to him. Never gave it a thought in OK.</p>

<p>EDIT: I guess earthquakes aren't really weather, are they?</p>

<p>
[quote]
And you NEVER, EVER get used to the sound.

[/quote]

It is a weird sound. They always say a tornado sounds like a train coming - I thought the earthquake sounded like a train coming. Kind of made me think of someone living in a little apartment right over/under a train track and the apartment shaking and rattling every time a train goes by.</p>

<p>We had a 4.4 earthquake a couple of years ago that woke us up in the middle of the night. We're in the midwest and not used to earthquakes either. (I remember one when I was about 8). It was the noise that woke me up. Our house is noisy anyway, and it was creaking like crazy. My first thought was that it was a tornado, and just about then I felt it.</p>

<p>And I thought my husband was just rockin' my world - not! :)</p>

<p>My oldest D and I were in San Francisco one summer. About 4 am, I heard someone banging quite loudly on the window in the living area of our hotel suite. Then, sleepily, I realized we were on the 9th floor. When glasses started crashing off the table, I knew that it was an earthquake. No big deal to the Californians, though it did make the news.</p>

<p>I lived in California for a while and never experienced one. Within three days of being in Costa Rica, we got rocked by a decent sized one. I was in the shower and I didn't know what was going on. My host sister was yelling at me from the hallway to get out of the shower and get out of the bathroom (of course in Spanish which was fun trying to translate in my head while I was trying to figure out what was going on). I was not going out there since both of my host brothers were out there so I just sat on the floor. It only lasted about 40 seconds but it felt like so much longer. The earthquake wasn't bad, but it set off all the car alarms. Oy, was that annoying! I also remember the dog and horses freaking out before every earthquake.</p>

<p>I have seen probably 5-6 tornadoes in my life (mostly in Minnesota) and <em>nothing</em> scared me like an earthquake. It's just so unnerving because at least with a tornado, you can go underground. With an earthquake, it feels like there's nothing you can do.</p>

<p>When the DC, Va area had an arthquake in the summer , it was felt here where we live in south Jersey...by everyone but me:D I happened to be in BJ's with ny daughter when it happened and I guess the drone of the airconditioners drowned out the noise
I was kind of disappointed when everyone felt it and I missed it , but got a kick oiut of the funny stories and pictures that appeared on FB of overturned lawn furniture with subtitles like " we will rebuild '
Our store actally has some cracks in the msonry exterior walls from it , and a few days later when we were walking our dogs thru the neighborhood , while under evacuation order for Hurricane Irene , discovered a large crack in the road in front of our house
It has been a strange , strange year all around with weather and other natural disasters</p>

<p>We've had a couple of significant (for Oklahoma!) earthquakes in the last 13 months that I have actually felt. It was interesting to me...the first one (4.3) came in with a loud bang (thought it was a bomb at first) and things seemed to move up and down. Last night's sounded like a plane coming in to land far too low, and everything was definitely moving side to side more than up and down. It woke me up, and I had always wondered how big an earthquake would need to be before it would wake you up. The 4.7 early Saturday did not, but the 5.6 late in the evening did.</p>

<p>I've lived in Oklahoma my entire life and I have never actually seen a tornado-- at least not where you can see a funnel reach from sky to ground. I've never felt an earthquake in my trips to California. Life is full of surprises.</p>

<p>We felt an earthquake here in the Detroit area in August, and while it was weak as those things go, we definitely felt it. It was so weird. I can't imagine how scary it must be to be in/near the epicenter!</p>

<p>It was pretty strange to hear about an earthquake in OK. Glad to hear everyone is OK.</p>

<p>I have lived in northern CA for over 20 years now, and only felt my first earthquake officially a few years ago when I was in LA. I will never forget thinking 'we have to get out of here' and the rest of the folks in the meeting just kept on going like nothing was happening! </p>

<p>I did very slightly experience the big Loma Prieta SF quake right after I moved to CA in 89. I actually live east of Sacramento and we felt the earthquake just a bit over 100 miles away! During that experience I had no clue what it was, as it was so slight where we were.</p>

<p>A few years ago, I had a relative from Europe visiting me in CA, she's a New Yorker by birth. She asked if we would have an earthquake and if she should worry and I said no. One day, we had just arrived home and parked in my garage when a pretty good-sized one started. I grabbed her and pulled her out of the garage to avoid falling objects. At that moment the mailman had just gotten to our house. When it subsided, he and I chatted the way Californians do, "What do you think? A 5 maybe?" while she stood white as a sheet, unable to move or to speak. It took her hours to recover. Your first earthquake is a big deal.</p>

<p>swimcatsmom, hugs. I hope there is no hidden structural damage to your house.</p>

<p>I was staying in a rather posh hotel when a 7+ earthquake hit the country. The hotel wasn't located near the epicenter, but it wasn't that far off either. Since that night I know that there are plenty of people spending the night in posh hotels wearing nightwear that doesn't exactly match an exclusive ambiance.</p>

<p>For those in Oklahoma:
1) You will want to put a pair of sneakers under your bed in case the next earthquake happens while you are sleeping. Our friends cut their feet trying to leave their bedroom after the LA quake because their TV shattered glass all over the floor.
2) Check to make sure you are not sleeping under framed glass. You do not want anything to fall on your head in the middle of the night.
3) Put an old pair of sneakers and thick work gloves in the trunk of your car. If you are driving during a quake and wearing typical work shoes, you will want to be able to change.</p>

<p>siliconvalleymom, the problem with the advice on putting a pair of sneakers (and a flashlight) under your bed in the event of an earthquake is that the earthquake can move them. :)</p>

<p>For sure have a flashlight next to the bed which can at least illuminate the floor. I also knew someone whose wife was very badly cut running to her kids after the LA quake hit and stepping on glass. You do get an instinct to run to your kids though and forget all else. I was halfway up the stairs to my kids during the LA quake (our room was downstairs) before I even remembered I was pregnant, so I'm pretty sure shoes would have slipped my mind. It's hard to be clearheaded in the middle of the night when the ground is shaking wildly.</p>

<p>During the LA quake, I ran to our sleeping baby and stood in the doorway...and then realized that I hadn't remembered to wake up my husband.</p>

<p>The shoes are more for the slow evacuation afterwards than for instant running during the event. You would be amazed by the amount of shattered glass from TVs and photo frames.</p>