My Height

<p>I'm kind of concerned about my future height, because so far I'm 17 years old and only 5"6. I was hoping to grow in the last few years but unfortunately last year I only grew about 1 cm. I was waiting for a growth spurt but it doesn't seem like I've experienced any major growth spurt so far. I heard that height is genetic so I used several online height calculators and got for my adult height: 5"6, 5"7 and 5"7.5. </p>

<p>I need to get to at least 5"8 though. What are some things I can do to grow taller? I know like 95% of it is genetic but I still want to take advantage of that remaining 5%. So what can I do? </p>

<p>Oh and do you think those calculators are correct?</p>

<p>You can eat healthy and exercise. That's all you really can do(naturally). I'm only 5'3'' if it makes you feel any better.</p>

<p>I think I willed myself short. My parents are 6'2" and 5'8" and it was my life's dream to be petite. I'm 5'1" and 4/9ths :). Maybe you can do the same ;).</p>

<p>Don't skimp out on sleeping?</p>

<p>Apparently you grow the most during REM.</p>

<p>O, right! Sleeping definitely helps too.</p>

<p>Sleep?!<br>
Like on the movie White Chicks, get your legs done =]</p>

<p>Why do you need to be 5'8"? Do you play basketball or something?</p>

<p>I think 5'6" is fine for a guy. It's taller than the female average (5'3"), so you shouldn't have a problem with the ladies. I personally find guys over 6 foot to sometimes be intimidating. It wouldn't bother me if a guy was around 5'4" or so, and I'm 5'3".</p>

<p>Millancad- why do you want to be that short?</p>

<p>You can also wear shoes with thicker soles to give you that extra .5 inch.</p>

<p>I'm around 5'8" and I think it's mostly genetic. I've also heard that playing sports help. I used to live on milk when I was a kid, so maybe that has something to do with it?</p>

<p>Most girls don't care that much as long as you're at least the same height/1 inch taller than them. </p>

<p>You can also spike your hair....</p>

<p>^ LOL. man that looks terrible.</p>

<p>I'm 5'7" so I'd never date you.... Kidding. But 5'6" is tall enough unless you want to play basketball. Then... drink some milk, get your exercise, and then you should grow.</p>

<p>As long as you make up for your height w/personality, you'll be fine ;) Just had to throw in the little corny saying hehe.</p>

<p>^ it's totally true. :]</p>

<p>why do you need to be 5'8"? or is it just a personal goal?</p>

<p>I completely agree with your point about personality.</p>

<p>lol..im terrible.. when I read the "as long as you make up for your height.." I thought it was going in a totally different direction.</p>

<p>Genetics only determine a certain "range" for height, not a definitive quantity (hence even doctors profess to a margin of error of at least 2ish inches); under the "height predictor" thing I'm supposed to be 5'9.5, and I'm currently 5'11.5 and growing at 16 (and i checked that internet height calculator thing and it says 95% chance of being within 4 inches, so technically you can go upto like 5'11). so in that sense, I don't think it's necessarily 95% genetic</p>

<p>I'm not sure what else you can do other than the well-known things like sleeping well, eating nutritious foods high in protein/calcium, and getting some vigorous exercise when you have time.</p>

<p>Though, If you're a guy at 17, you still have potential to grow and will not know for sure until you're like 21 or something (you may stop now, at 18, 19, or w/e...). I'd say realistically you might grow an another inch or so; 2 is stretching it if you only grew <1inch in the past year...although you never know.</p>

<p>With enough nutrition, sleep, and exercise (I feel like I got a lot taller from playing tennis), you might get lucky and grow a bit more.</p>

<p>Otherwise, being short is perfectly acceptable.</p>

<p>My son is 5'6". He's extremely handsome (well, I am prejudiced) and well-loved by the ladies. His best friend from HS is 5'4" and is the most fantastic guy I'd ever want to know. Awesome kid, just wonderful. No lack of dates, opportunities, anything he wants. Short is not the problem. Feeling bad about yourself is the problem.</p>

<p>My mom is 5'9".
My dad is 5'10".</p>

<p>I'm 5'2" and some change. Go figure.</p>

<p>Okay I just wanted to say that the milk thing is a myth and it really doesn't help you grow. I mean that's what my parents thought and I'm not very tall at all.</p>

<p>Plus, honestly 5' 6'' isn't that horrible at all. I'd only personally be worried if you were 5'4'' or lower.</p>

<p>Yeah, don't worry about it. 5'6 isn't bad. I'm not even 5'5. I'm like 5'4 and 3/4 or something. don't stress about it; all you can do is eat healthy, get plenty of sleep, and get some decent exercise, and hope for the best. Good luck! I hope I grow a little too lol</p>