My mom made too much money!

<p>My mom is a make-up artist and usually makes about $33,000 a year, but for some reason she made about $47,000 in 2011. I just found out last night while we were filing for my FASFA. I think it's great she made more money but, I'm scared this will greatly impact the amount of financial aid I will get, in comparison to what I could've gotten. I also thought I might mention that she pays absolutely no bills for me and does not pay for my food or a roof over my head, but still claims my 25 year old brother and myself on her taxes (and always will). Due to personal reasons I would like to get emancipated. If so I could be considered an independent and get more financial aid, but she told me she would never sign the papers and to take my insurance money from a recent car accident in which my car was totaled (i was hit by a drunk driver) and pay for a lawyer. I will be 18 in the beginning of June and I don't know what I should do. I currently live with my aunt and grandmother who live down the street from my mom, but I legally say that I live with my mom. Any suggestions please?</p>

<p>You will not be considered an independent student, which means your moms income and assets will be used to determine your eligibility for aid. While you may live with your grandmother and aunt, that does not matter because they are not your court appointed legal guardians. You must still use your mother's income and assets for financial aid.</p>

<p>And just an FYI... Your mom
Will NOT be able to declare you on her income taxes forever. Once you have a job and are providing more than half of your own financial support, she will not be able to declare you.</p>

<p>However, it still does not mean a thing as far as getting financial aid is concerned. it just means that OP's income and assets as well as his/her mom's income and assets will be used to determine his eligibility for need based FA.</p>

<p>Sybbie is absolutely correct. The OP will not be able to get herself "emancipated". This is WAYYYYY more complicated than simply saying "my mom won't pay for me to go to college so I want to become emancipated."</p>

<p>For financial aid purposes...the OP MUST list the income/assets of her mother.</p>

<p>I'm wondering if it's possible for the child to be emancipated since the mom is providing ZERO support to this child who is a minor. The child lives with relatives and they are supporting the child (unless I'm confused.)</p>

<p>However, any emancipation must occur before the 18th Bday. I don't think the mom has to "agree" with it....the court decides.</p>

<p>What does your grandmom and aunt say about the idea. If they say yes that it is a good idea, I would try to get emancipated. I am sure with help you could prove mom has not been supporting you.</p>

I'm wondering if it's possible for the child to be emancipated since the mom is providing ZERO support to this child who is a minor. The child lives with relatives and they are supporting the child (unless I'm confused.)


<p>Unlikely...the MOM has these kids on her taxes...there would have to be VERY sufficient evidence that the mom is providing NO support to this child. If the reason is because the child CHOSE to live with the other relatives...nope...would not qualify for emancipation...which is a VERY serious procedure, by the way...and not to be taken lightly.</p>

<p>Also being "emancipated" is not a criteria for automatically being considered independent. The OP, if emancipated, would still need to qualify through a professional judgement by the financial aid office at the college the OP attends. </p>

<p>Criteria for being considered independent for FAFSA:
Be 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year;
Be an orphan (both parents deceased), ward of the court, or was a ward of the court until the age of 18;
Be a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States;
Be a graduate or professional student;
Be a married individual;
Have legal dependents other than a spouse;
Be a student for whom a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of other unusual circumstances.</p>

<p>I think if the OP can get one of his/her relatives to be named "legal guardian", that would work. </p>

<p>I wonder how long the student hasn't lived with mom and when mom stopped supporting the child.</p>

<p>The older sibling might be able to provide witness to the fact that the mom hasn't supported the child.</p>

<p>Even if the student was being placed into legal guardianship, it would have to be for cause. The courts do not take the legal involuntary dissolution of the family lightly. For emancipation/legal guardianship there usually is a documented history by a non-family member thrid party (police, social service agency, hospital) where the parents are unfit or incapable to care for the child.</p>